Rick Hazlett, author
    Cheryl Gansecki, author
    Steve Lundblad, author
    Mountain Press Publishing Company
    PO Box 2399, Missoula, MT 59806
    www.mountain-press.com
    9780878427116, $26.00, PB, 336pp

https://www.amazon.com/Roadside-Geology-Hawaii/dp/0878427112

Synopsis: Now in a completely revised and expanded full-color second editio=
    n of "Roadside Geology of Hawai'i", the team of collaborative authors Rick = Hazlett, Cheryl Gansecki, and Steve Lundblad informatively detail the evolu= tion of this volcanic island chain, from its first tumultuous appearance ab= ove the sea to ongoing eruptions, including the 2018 eruption of K lauea.

Erosional landscapes dominate the older islands, such as Waimea Canyon on K= aua'i, enormous rounded rocks at Garden of the Gods on L na'i, and the high= est shoreline cliff in the world on Molokai, the scarp of the Wailau landsl= ide. Volcanoes, cinder cones, and craters dominate the younger islands, fro=
    m Haleakal Volcano on Maui and Diamond Head and Koko Craters on O'ahu to th=
    e active caldera in the Big Island's Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park.

With "Roadside Geology of Hawaii" as a guide, native residents and tourists=
    alike will discover waterfalls, lava tube caves, black sand beaches, and o= ther world-famous geologic features around every bend in the road.

Critique: Beautifully and profusely illustrated in full color throughout, t= his new second edition of "Roadside Geology of Hawaii" is particularly time=
    ly given the current volcanic eruption taking place. Exceptionally informat= ive, accessible organized and presented, "Roadside Geology of Hawaii" is an=
    especially and unreservedly recommended for personal, professional, commun= ity, and academic library Geology collections in general, and Hawaiian Geol= ogy supplemental curriculum studies lists in particular.

Editorial Note #1: Rick Hazlett (https://mountain-press.com/collections/haz= lett-richard-w) received his PhD in geology from the University of Southern=
    California and his master's degree from Dartmouth College. His graduate wo=
    rk included volcanic hazards evaluation around San Cristobal Volcano in Nic= aragua and mapping of the Mopah Range volcanic field in California's Mojave=
    Desert. Subsequent research included studies in Italy, the Aleutian Island=
    s, and Hawai i. He taught for nearly thirty years at Pomona College in Clar= emont, California, where he helped found the Environmental Analysis Program=
    .. He is coauthor of Volcanoes: A Global Perspective (Wiley-Blackwell Press)=
    and is presently retired in Hilo on the Big Island of Hawai i.

Editorial Note #2: Cheryl Gansecki (https://mountain-press.com/collections/= gansecki-cheryl) teaches geology courses at the University of Hawai i-Hilo = and intensive volcanology field camps in Hawai i for the Black Hills Field = Station. She holds a BA in earth science and archaeology from Wesleyan Univ= ersity and a PhD in geology from Stanford University. She has researched vo= lcanoes in Greece, Yellowstone, and Hawai i. She works with the Hawaiian Vo= lcano Observatory to monitor K lauea Volcano, both in the field and in the = lab studying the chemistry of erupted lava. She also filmed and produced ma=
    ny educational videos (and a card game) about volcanoes along with spouse a=
    nd fellow volcanologist, Ken Hon.

Editorial Note #3: Steve Lundblad experienced firsthand the eruption of Mt.=
    St. Helens because it covered his hometown with ash during his high school=
    years. This encounter, coupled with his interest in the outdoors, fostered=
    his interest in volcanoes and geology. Steve received his BA from Harvard = University and earned a master's degree at the University of Wisconsin and =
    a PhD at the University of North Carolina. He is currently a professor of G= eology at University of Hawai i-Hilo and is the recipient of the 2018 UH Bo= ard of Regents Excellence in Teaching Award. Along with his students, Steve=
    monitors ground deformation of the K lauea Volcano. (https://hilo.hawaii.e= du/keaohou/2012/04/12/lundblad-mills-edxrf)

EDITOR'S NOTE:

The Midwest Book Review is an organization of volunteers committed to promo= ting literacy, library usage, and small press publishing. We accept no fund=
    s from authors or publishers. Full permission is given to post any of these=
    reviews on thematically appropriate websites, newsgroups, listserves, inte= rnet discussion groups, organizational newsletters, or to interested indivi= duals. Please give the Midwest Book Review a credit line when doing so.

The Midwest Book Review publishes the monthly book review magazines "Califo= rnia Bookwatch", "Internet Bookwatch", "Children's Bookwatch", "MBR Bookwat= ch", "Reviewer's Bookwatch", and "Small Press Bookwatch". All are available=
    for free on the Midwest Book Review website at www (dot) midwestbookreview=
    (dot) com

Anyone wanting to submit books for review consideration can send them to:

James A. Cox, Editor-in-Chief
    Midwest Book Review
    278 Orchard Drive
    Oregon, WI 53575-1129

To submit reviews of any fiction or non-fiction books, email them to Frugal= muse (at) aol (dot) com (Be sure to include the book title, author, publish= er, publisher address, publisher website/phone number, 13-digit ISBN number=
    , and list price).

James A. Cox, Editor-in-Chief
    Midwest Book Review

--- MBSE BBS v1.0.8 (Linux-x86_64)
    * Origin: ---:- FTN<->UseNet Gate -:--- (3:633/280.2@fidonet)