• Strange noises from the computer

From Spiros Bousbouras@3:633/280.2 to All on Sat May 13 21:49:01 2023
    I have a computer with 2 fans , one for the processor and one for the PSU. Occasionally I get noises and there are 2 kinds : one is a squeaky noise and the other a grinding noise. The squeaky noise sometimes appears every now and again and eventually becomes continuous. The grinding noise appears out of
    the blue and is continuous right from the start. The 2 kinds of noises never happen at the same time.

The interesting thing is that when either noise happens and I start some demanding computation running (one which occupies around 100% of CPU time of one of the two cores) then after about 20-30 minutes , whichever noise was happening stops and does not return for as long as the computation is
    running. I can only hear a very soft whirring sound then. When the
    computation stops , the noises may not appear for some hours or days but eventually return. Normally the computer does not run anything demanding and the cores work close to 0%.

What I mentioned is the only patterns I have been able to notice related to
    the noises.

There are several questions :

1) What causes the noises ? I can't think of any other source apart from the fan(s) but which is the mechanism which causes these symptoms ? In particular that the noises go away when one or both cores work hard but otherwise disappear. Putting the cores to extra work , I assume makes both fans run faster but which mechanical reason would cause slower rotation to produce noises which go away with faster rotation ?

2) Is there a way (BIOS or something) to make the fans run faster without giving extra computation to the cores ?

3) Is there a way to find out which fan causes the noise ? It could be that
    one fan does one kind of noise and the other fan the other kind of noise. I opened the case once when I could hear the grinding noise but I couldn't tell which of the 2 fans was the cause. Is there a way (like some appropriate hardware) to make the fans work without powering up the computer ? The PSU is hermetically sealed within the PSU enclosure but the processor fan is
    separate and there should be a way to connect it to something to make it rotate.

--- MBSE BBS v1.0.8 (Linux-x86_64)
    * Origin: To protect and to server (3:633/280.2@fidonet)
  • From Paul@3:633/280.2 to All on Sun May 14 03:15:47 2023
    On 5/13/2023 7:49 AM, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
    I have a computer with 2 fans , one for the processor and one for the PSU. Occasionally I get noises and there are 2 kinds : one is a squeaky noise and the other a grinding noise. The squeaky noise sometimes appears every now and again and eventually becomes continuous. The grinding noise appears out of the blue and is continuous right from the start. The 2 kinds of noises never happen at the same time.

The interesting thing is that when either noise happens and I start some demanding computation running (one which occupies around 100% of CPU time of one of the two cores) then after about 20-30 minutes , whichever noise was happening stops and does not return for as long as the computation is running. I can only hear a very soft whirring sound then. When the computation stops , the noises may not appear for some hours or days but eventually return. Normally the computer does not run anything demanding and the cores work close to 0%.

What I mentioned is the only patterns I have been able to notice related to the noises.

1) What causes the noises ? I can't think of any other source apart from the fan(s) but which is the mechanism which causes these symptoms ? In particular that the noises go away when one or both cores work hard but otherwise disappear. Putting the cores to extra work , I assume makes both fans run faster but which mechanical reason would cause slower rotation to produce noises which go away with faster rotation ?

2) Is there a way (BIOS or something) to make the fans run faster without giving extra computation to the cores ?

3) Is there a way to find out which fan causes the noise ? It could be that one fan does one kind of noise and the other fan the other kind of noise. I opened the case once when I could hear the grinding noise but I couldn't tell which of the 2 fans was the cause. Is there a way (like some appropriate hardware) to make the fans work without powering up the computer ? The PSU is hermetically sealed within the PSU enclosure but the processor fan is separate and there should be a way to connect it to something to make it rotate.

1) When a bearing is worn, at low speed the fan can wobble and make a noise.
    Speeding up the fan, may help it run true, for a bit. Some fans are spring-loaded,
    and a spring helps "pre-load" the rotor, so it runs true for longer.

2) There are fan controls in the BIOS. You can set a fan for "No Control"
    and it runs at 100% speed. On a 1200 RPM fan, this is an acceptable choice.
    Some Dell computers however, they use high capacity fans, and when run
    at 100%, they sound like a vacuum cleaner motor. 35CFM fans run flat-out
    are OK, while 110CFM fans run that way, are too loud.

3) Vcore regulation can make "coil noise". On my current machine, I was hearing
    a noise that sounded like a hard drive seek. However, when the hard drive was
    replaced with an SSD, the noise was still present, and that's how I knew
    I was hearing coil noise from VCore.

Fans can be run from 12VDC. You only need two electrical connections, to make
    a fan that spins at 100% speed. I sometimes test 12V fans with a 9V battery (the fan might be rated at 110 ma or so, a 1 ampere fan might be too much
    for a small 9V battery).

In this example, the picture of the cable is wrong, the table of values is correct.
    Red should be the middle wire, and is +12V. Always check the hub label, for any hints about what you're dealing with.

https://europe1.discourse-cdn.com/arduino/original/4X/6/1/2/612cffb8df33a95d9ef9dc9200779ec41e266c38.jpeg

In this example, the bottom-right picture is correct. Sometimes, the motherboard
    manual has a diagram too, as a double-check. The "tab" on the fan connector,
    is what provides keying, so the correct pins touch.

https://www.dell.com/community/image/serverpage/image-id/58153iDEAF116614EE11FA/image-size/large?v=v2&px=999

Good fans have a service life of 50,000 hours.
    They have different kinds of bearings -- sleeve bearings are the worst. Examples:

sleeve
    ball bearing
    SSO
    FDB
    ceramic

Fans can become noisy with little provocation. Take a quality
    fan, give it a sharp shock (one good knock) on a table,
    then reinstall, and you can be greeted with bearing noise.
    Some fans actually get damaged in shipping. This is why, if
    you buy two identical fans, and one fan makes more noise than the other,
    it could be that one of the fans has received a shock that damaged
    the bearing.

Fans do need to be replaced, at some point. On a much older computer,
    the fans were all ball-bearing, and all of the fans in that PC needed
    to be replaced, before the computer was "worn out". That's an extreme
    example. Sometimes, only one fan needs replacement and the others are
    fine. If the fans are the square ones, with the mounting holes, you
    can buy a replacement and fit it yourself. Other frame-less fans,
    it's harder to find a replacement article.

Paul

* Origin: A noiseless patient Spider (3:633/280.2@fidonet)
  • From Spiros Bousbouras@3:633/280.2 to All on Tue May 16 18:06:30 2023
    On Sat, 13 May 2023 13:15:47 -0400
    Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

Thanks for all the detailed information.

[...]

Fans can be run from 12VDC. You only need two electrical connections, to make a fan that spins at 100% speed. I sometimes test 12V fans with a 9V battery (the fan might be rated at 110 ma or so, a 1 ampere fan might be too much
    for a small 9V battery).

In this example, the picture of the cable is wrong, the table of values is correct.
    Red should be the middle wire, and is +12V. Always check the hub label, for any
    hints about what you're dealing with.

https://europe1.discourse-cdn.com/arduino/original/4X/6/1/2/612cffb8df33a95d9ef9dc9200779ec41e266c38.jpeg

In this example, the bottom-right picture is correct. Sometimes, the motherboard
    manual has a diagram too, as a double-check. The "tab" on the fan connector, is what provides keying, so the correct pins touch.

https://www.dell.com/community/image/serverpage/image-id/58153iDEAF116614EE11FA/image-size/large?v=v2&px=999

Is there some gadget you can buy where you simply connect the wires of the
    fan , put a battery in some compartment and the fan spins (ideally you
    should be able to adjust the speed too) or do you have to construct one yourself using pictures like those you provided ?

• From Spiros Bousbouras@3:633/280.2 to All on Tue May 16 18:36:43 2023
    [ Apologies if this post eventually appears in double ; originally I tried
    to post through eternal-september and the post did not appear. ]

On Sat, 13 May 2023 13:15:47 -0400
    Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

Thanks for all the detailed information.

[...]

Fans can be run from 12VDC. You only need two electrical connections, to make a fan that spins at 100% speed. I sometimes test 12V fans with a 9V battery (the fan might be rated at 110 ma or so, a 1 ampere fan might be too much
    for a small 9V battery).

Red should be the middle wire, and is +12V. Always check the hub label, for any
    hints about what you're dealing with.

manual has a diagram too, as a double-check. The "tab" on the fan connector, is what provides keying, so the correct pins touch.

Is there some gadget you can buy where you simply connect the wires of the
    fan , put a battery in some compartment and the fan spins (ideally you
    should be able to adjust the speed too) or do you have to construct one yourself using pictures like those you provided ?

* Origin: To protect and to server (3:633/280.2@fidonet)
  • From Paul@3:633/280.2 to All on Tue May 16 21:13:31 2023
    On 5/16/2023 4:36 AM, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:

Is there some gadget you can buy where you simply connect the wires of the fan , put a battery in some compartment and the fan spins (ideally you

The closest thing, is a fan adapter. You can either use one of these, as is,
    or you can chop this to bits, for "parts".

https://www.performance-pcs.com/media/catalog/product/cache/a17cfde780b1af9e58d06cf1c44be8a3/t/m/tmpfc43.jpg

The fan end in that example, has exposed male pins.
    When they're exposed like that (no plastic "box" around
    the pins), you can fit a 3 pin (TX3) or a 4 pin (TX4)
    fan onto the connector for test. On a four pin (PWM fan),
    if the PWM pin on the end "floats" and is not electrically
    connected, the fan runs at full speed. This is, in effect,
    an "expected condition". They designed it to function correctly
    when used this way, on purpose.

GND +12V RPM PWM This is an example of connecting a 4 pin
    | | | | TX4 fan, to a TX3 male connector, which in
    turn, is connected to a nine volt battery.
    X X X
    | |
    BLK RED
    | |
    | |
    0V 9V Nine volt battery clip

Example of battery clips, red is +9V, black is Ground. Since the battery
    end is easily damaged, it's a good idea to buy a multi-pack of these,
    for the lab.

https://www.amazon.ca/Battery-Connector-I-Type-Plastic-Housing/dp/B085X11D22

If you cut the two wire part off the first item (the TX3 male
    keeping the red and black wire), then strip and join red to red
    and black to black using the nine volt battery clip, that would
    make a portable tester. You could fit a switch in series with
    one of the leads, to make a "convenient" circuit of it.

Male TX3 connectors without the plastic box around them, are dangerous.
    If the male TX3 is slapped against a conducting steel plate, the
    short circuit can burn the tiny wires used and upset a power source
    (such as a PC ATX supply). Yet, if you buy the boxed type of TX3 male,
    only a three pin fan will fit and the four pin cannot be fitted to the
    three pin fan. Only if a wiring assembly comes with a boxed three pin
    and a boxed four pin, can you test both types (and, with "good safety").

No electrical standards, stick to proper wire coloring for any period
    of time. The computer industry resorted to the "black wire fetish" and
    this means users cannot visually identify when non-compatible things
    are being connected together. On a Molex, +12V is yellow, GND is black.
    On a TX3 assembly, +12V is red in color, GND is black. But with the
    black wire fetish, you lose yet one more safety feature when experimenting
    in your home lab.

Just be careful, OK ? :-)

Not too much can go wrong, with one of those tiny 9V batteries.
    The same cannot be said for ATX supplies where you've been careless.
    The male TX3 (with no shroud) on those adapters, is one of the few examples of an unsafe
    adapter for sale. While you can get male TX3 connectors with a shroud
    (shell) around the three male pins, that prevents 4 pin TX4 fans from
    being fitted for test, and then you need an instance of both a boxed
    three pin and a boxed four pin on your home-made adapter.

The tab on the connector, ensures the connector is rotated
    the right way round. If it were not for the tab, two possible
    orientations would exist. Fans seem to have inherent polarity
    protection (I'm told by people on here their fan survived
    being reverse-powered), but I don't really think of accidental
    reversal as being a good thing.

Paul

• From Carlos E. R.@3:633/280.2 to All on Wed May 17 04:13:46 2023
    On 2023-05-13 13:49, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
    I have a computer with 2 fans , one for the processor and one for the PSU. Occasionally I get noises and there are 2 kinds : one is a squeaky noise and the other a grinding noise. The squeaky noise sometimes appears every now and again and eventually becomes continuous. The grinding noise appears out of the blue and is continuous right from the start. The 2 kinds of noises never happen at the same time.

The interesting thing is that when either noise happens and I start some demanding computation running (one which occupies around 100% of CPU time of one of the two cores) then after about 20-30 minutes , whichever noise was happening stops and does not return for as long as the computation is running. I can only hear a very soft whirring sound then. When the computation stops , the noises may not appear for some hours or days but eventually return. Normally the computer does not run anything demanding and the cores work close to 0%.

What I mentioned is the only patterns I have been able to notice related to the noises.

For example, the whine going ultrasonic.

Yes, some fans can make more noise when going slow than going fast. I
    notice that on certain car. The assumption is rust in the axle or a bit
    of wear.

3) Is there a way to find out which fan causes the noise ? It could be that one fan does one kind of noise and the other fan the other kind of noise. I opened the case once when I could hear the grinding noise but I couldn't tell which of the 2 fans was the cause.

Stop each one in turn with your finger. Or a painting brush, if you
    don't want to risk your finger.

When you find it, the cure would be to oil the axle, or replacing the fan.

--
    Cheers,
    Carlos E.R.

* Origin: ---:- FTN<->UseNet Gate -:--- (3:633/280.2@fidonet)
  • From Spiros Bousbouras@3:633/280.2 to All on Wed May 17 19:35:09 2023
    On Tue, 16 May 2023 20:13:46 +0200
    "Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
    I have a computer with 2 fans , one for the processor and one for the PSU. Occasionally I get noises and there are 2 kinds : one is a squeaky noise and
    the other a grinding noise. The squeaky noise sometimes appears every now and
    again and eventually becomes continuous. The grinding noise appears out of the blue and is continuous right from the start. The 2 kinds of noises never
    happen at the same time.

[...]

3) Is there a way to find out which fan causes the noise ? It could be that one fan does one kind of noise and the other fan the other kind of noise. I opened the case once when I could hear the grinding noise but I couldn't tell
    which of the 2 fans was the cause.

As I said , "The PSU is hermetically sealed within the PSU enclosure" , I
    doubt I could get to it. As for stopping the processor fan , my understanding is that if you do that , in a fraction of a second the processor will go up
    in flames.

• From Carlos E.R.@3:633/280.2 to All on Sat May 20 03:29:02 2023
    On 2023-05-17 11:35, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
    On Tue, 16 May 2023 20:13:46 +0200
    "Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
    I have a computer with 2 fans , one for the processor and one for the PSU. >>> Occasionally I get noises and there are 2 kinds : one is a squeaky noise and
    the other a grinding noise. The squeaky noise sometimes appears every now and
    again and eventually becomes continuous. The grinding noise appears out of >>> the blue and is continuous right from the start. The 2 kinds of noises never
    happen at the same time.

[...]

3) Is there a way to find out which fan causes the noise ? It could be that >>> one fan does one kind of noise and the other fan the other kind of noise. I >>> opened the case once when I could hear the grinding noise but I couldn't tell
    which of the 2 fans was the cause.

As I said , "The PSU is hermetically sealed within the PSU enclosure" , I doubt I could get to it. As for stopping the processor fan , my understanding is that if you do that , in a fraction of a second the processor will go up in flames.

Nono. That was true for some AMD processor two decades ago.

Just let the blades rub with the hairs of a paintbrush, slowing it down
    a bit, and you will notice if the noise changes significantly or not.

--
    Cheers, Carlos.

* Origin: ---:- FTN<->UseNet Gate -:--- (3:633/280.2@fidonet)