• Review: Maximum Overdrive (1986)

From Smirking Asshole@3:633/280.2 to All on Sun Jan 8 04:25:07 2023
    *Maximum Overdrive* (1986). Directed by Stephen "Poop and Pee" King. Stars = Emilio Estevez.=20

Worse than expected, and I hadn't expected much. I realized several years a=
    go after reading an excerpt from one of his stories which graphically descr= ibed a man having his testicles devoured by a cat that King is a sick fuck,=
    and his first and (thankfully) only directorial effort amply confirms it. = His coprophilia is on full display: a bridge attendant picking his nose, a = gas station attendant taking a dump while perusing a copy of *High Society*=
    , our heroes wading through a sewer full of piss and shit... All things I r= eally needed to see.=20

The movie was rife with facile political subtexts and digs at Christianity.=
    The premise=E2=80=94machines becoming homicidal after the earth passes thr= ough the tail of a comet=E2=80=94was asinine, the bottom of the pulp sci-fi=
    barrel. Even the soundtrack by AC/DC was a letdown. The songs, which were = mostly the band's previous hits, were terribly overcompressed, hence not en= joyable to listen to, and weren't particularly well timed to reinforce the = action on the screen. Not even Emilio Estevez, who was great in *Repo Man* = and *The Breakfast Club*, could save this turkey. 5/10

--- MBSE BBS v1.0.8 (Linux-x86_64)
    * Origin: A noiseless patient Spider (3:633/280.2@fidonet)