• Europe on the way to outlaw any cabin related charges

From Aviation HQ@2:292/854 to All on Fri Oct 6 22:23:46 2023
    The European Commission has launched a consultation to review the Air Services Regulation, as stated in its most recent communication on Mobility Strategy.

In a resolution on uniform standards for airline carry-on luggage, MEPs argue that consistent EU rules on sizing and pricing are needed.

The text, adopted with a show hands, highlights citizens' concerns about the inconvenience and discomfort caused by inconsistent rules on airline carry-on luggage. EU legislation on air passenger rights should be revised to offer a solution, says the resolution.

Different airline rules on hand luggage create hidden fees and make it more difficult to compare prices, say MEPs. Also, when passengers use different airlines or need to change their plans, inconsistent rules create confusion. MEPs stress that when reviewing the current EU Air Services legislation, the Commission should fully implement the relevant ruling by the Court of Justice of the EU. The Court found that airlines should not charge a supplement for hand baggage "on condition that such hand baggage meets reasonable requirements in terms of its weight and dimensions, and complies with applicable security requirements". New legislation should also address other hidden costs, for example fees related to seat allocation, argue MEPs.

--- DB4 - 20230201
    * Origin: AVIATION ECHO HQ (2:292/854)
  • From Charles Blackburn@1:135/395 to Aviation HQ on Sun Oct 8 13:14:17 2023
    Re: Europe on the way to outlaw any cabin related charges
    By: Aviation HQ to All on Fri Oct 06 2023 22:23:46

The European Commission has launched a consultation to review the Air Services Regulation, as stated in its most recent communication on Mobility
    Strategy.
    In a resolution on uniform standards for airline carry-on luggage, MEPs argue that consistent EU rules on sizing and pricing are needed.
    The text, adopted with a show hands, highlights citizens' concerns about the inconvenience and discomfort caused by inconsistent rules on airline
    carry-on luggage. EU legislation on air passenger rights should be revised to offer a solution, says the resolution.

<CUT>

found this on a simple google search... i really hope so because it's rediculous. My partner just went to New York on Avelo.... you are allowed ONE carry on which MUST fit under the seat... if you wanted to use the overhead bins, you had to pay extra... and no it's ONE item TOTAL... not even one plus a personal.

https://businesstravelerusa.com/news/eu-carry-on-baggage-fees/

charlie
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: The FBO BBS - bbs.thefbo.us (1:135/395)
  • From Aviation HQ@2:292/854 to Charles Blackburn on Sun Oct 8 20:52:11 2023
    found this on a simple google search... i really hope so because it's rediculous. My partner just went to New York on Avelo.... you are allowed ONE carry on which MUST fit under the seat... if you wanted to use the overhead bins, you had to pay extra... and no it's ONE item TOTAL... not even one plus a personal.

It is common knowledge that in the golden age of aviation, airlines often suffered because of the chaotic settlement of tickets. There were sections on planes with "open reservations" and any travel agent or airline could issue tickets without knowing if reservations could actually be made. At that time, overbooking was sometimes scandalous...

I know of Aer Lingus and Delta flying in pool to Dublin and Delta was allowed to sell 20 seats on an Aer Lingus flight. You arrive at Dublin airport with a regular Delta ticket and it turns out that Delta sold over 60 without making a reservation and the ticketing agents had to sort it out. Happened to a friend of mine.

In the days of paper tickets, it also took at least 2 months after flying a flight before they received their money... they had to cover that period of costs (wages, rental fees, services, fuel, parking fees, landing fees, etc.), pre-finance themselves.

Nowadays, with the ubiquity of PCs and smartphones and websites directly from the airlines, it is the passengers who pre-finance the activities of the airlines ... anyone ... the earlier you book, the better the fare, so you could book q flight 6 months in advance, and pay for it. That way the companies already have the money for 6 months before they have to provide the service.

Also all the extras... seat selections, luggage, overhead bins, early boarding, window seats, meals, drinks... the airlines now have all those things under control and make more money from them than from the actual flying itself... you think you'd found a cheap rate on their website and then it starts... you go to the USA from Europe with your kids and you easily pay $250 extra per person just to sit next to your kids... $70 to get to take a suitcase with you either way. Want to have a beer with your meal? Pay!

A meal? In the past, in the golden age of aviation, a meal was a real meal. Then the period of "Chicken or pasta" started and that chicken was a chicken breast. A little later it became a very small chicken breast of which you could wonder whether it came from a chicken or from the pigeons that are regularly caught in Central Park. And then it became 3 slices of a very small chicken breast and now you end up with 4 dice-sized pieces of chicken. And the entire meal fits in the palm of your hand, it's not even a snack. Do you want to have more? That is possible, provided you pay...It has become a rip-off, even the mafia would treat you better.

And that is why this hopefully expected European action is very welcome, but it will simply lead to higher fares than ...

Have you noticed how few airlines go bankrupt these days? Virtually none anymore, and there is a reason for that... the technology to extract money from travelers' pockets has been greatly refined.

If they need more money they will find ways ... coin-operated restrooms, standing-up space only, 7-abreast seating in a 737 ...

--- DB4 - 20230201
  • From Charles Blackburn@1:135/395 to Aviation HQ on Mon Oct 9 17:56:00 2023
    Aviation HQ wrote to Charles Blackburn <=-

<CUT>

I know of Aer Lingus and Delta flying in pool to Dublin and Delta was allowed to sell 20 seats on an Aer Lingus flight. You arrive at Dublin airport with a regular Delta ticket and it turns out that Delta sold
    over 60 without making a reservation and the ticketing agents had to
    sort it out. Happened to a friend of mine.

that's nothing unusual nowadays, it happens all the time, been there done that...
    their reasoning is that they expect some people to be late, or not show up at all...
    this is the practice that should be banned at the very least. it's one thing to oversell by a dozen or so, but yea the amount nowadays... but i always have been
    known to mention to people that do get bumped from flights...... DO NOT LEAVE THE
    AIRPORT and they are REQUIRED to give you a cash equivalent there and then.

<CUT>

website and then it starts... you go to the USA from Europe with your
    kids and you easily pay $250 extra per person just to sit next to your kids... $70 to get to take a suitcase with you either way. Want to have
    a beer with your meal? Pay!

it's the same the other way around too.. rediculous... like here... If i was to fly
    KMCO to KJFK on delta in the main cabin for 2 days, it would right now (just looked it up)
    US $533 (not including taxes).

If i take the same flight out of KDAB which i live across the street from, it would easily
    cost me at least a hundred bucks more usually, INCLUDING a layover in craplanta.

A meal? In the past, in the golden age of aviation, a meal was a real meal. Then the period of "Chicken or pasta" started and that chicken
    was a chicken breast. A little later it became a very small chicken
    breast of which you could wonder whether it came from a chicken or from

<CUT>

one of the best meals i ever had, surprisingly enough, was when i took an air india
    flight from the uk to toronto. Yes it was curry but to be honest, the service and the food
    was excellent.

nowadays you're lucky to get jack on a domestic flight outside of stale cookies or nasty
    peanuts (which im allergic to anyway).

Have you noticed how few airlines go bankrupt these days? Virtually
    none anymore, and there is a reason for that... the technology to
    extract money from travelers' pockets has been greatly refined.

that's because they're all being gobbled up by the majors.

If they need more money they will find ways ... coin-operated
    restrooms, standing-up space only, 7-abreast seating in a 737 ...

i've always had the opinion of for long hauls, dont put seats, just put racks in
    you lie down on the rack. they knock you out for the duration and wake you up an hour before
    you land with coffee and brekkie LOL

you can easily double the amount of pax on a 777 lmao

Charlie

... Computer Hacker wanted. Must have own axe.
    === MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From Aviation HQ@2:292/854 to Charles Blackburn on Tue Oct 10 12:48:16 2023
    If i take the same flight out of KDAB which i live across the street
    from, it would easily cost me at least a hundred bucks more usually, INCLUDING a layover in craplanta.

At least there's an interesting food-court in the main terminal.

--- DB4 - 20230201
  • From Aviation HQ@2:292/854 to Charles Blackburn on Tue Oct 10 12:48:43 2023
    one of the best meals i ever had, surprisingly enough, was when i took an air india flight from the uk to toronto.

Best I ever had was on the old Icelandic Airlines, then called Loftleidir (pioneer of cheap cross-Atlantic fares). Poached Halibut, a big piece...full tray those days.

i've always had the opinion of for long hauls, dont put seats, just put racks in you lie down on the rack. they knock you out for the duration
    and wake you up an hour before you land with coffee and brekkie LOL

After 9/11 I always figured we'd have to strip naked, they'd then issue orange jump-suits and chain us to our seats.

It would have some effect on the range, but feasable.

--- DB4 - 20230201
  • From Charles Blackburn@1:135/395 to Aviation HQ on Tue Oct 10 16:58:00 2023
    On Tue Oct 10 12:48:00 2023, Aviation HQ wrote to Charles Blackburn <=-

one of the best meals i ever had, surprisingly enough, was when i took an
    air india flight from the uk to toronto.
    Best I ever had was on the old Icelandic Airlines, then called Loftleidir (pioneer of cheap cross-Atlantic fares). Poached Halibut, a big piece...full tray those days.

dang that does sound nice for sure.

i've always had the opinion of for long hauls, dont put seats, just put racks in you lie down on the rack. they knock you out for the duration and wake you up an hour before you land with coffee and brekkie LOL

After 9/11 I always figured we'd have to strip naked, they'd then issue orange jump-suits and chain us to our seats.

you havent been through TSA lately having to wear a knee and wrist brace lol

It would have some effect on the range, but feasable.

i dunno... no need for carry on LOL

Charlie
    The FBO BBS - bbs.thefbo.us:2323 - IPv4/6

... YKYHW: you consider BBSing better than ice cream
    === TitanMail/linux v1.2.3
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From Charles Blackburn@1:135/395 to Aviation HQ on Tue Oct 10 16:56:00 2023
    On Tue Oct 10 12:48:00 2023, Aviation HQ wrote to Charles Blackburn <=-

If i take the same flight out of KDAB which i live across the street from, it would easily cost me at least a hundred bucks more usually, INCLUDING a layover in craplanta.
    At least there's an interesting food-court in the main terminal.

unless you get there after 7pm at night. then 99% of it is closed outside of the crappy sammich shop.

I was flying to the UK to bury my dad a couple years back.... I was supposed to leave DAB at 12 noon on a friday, get to ATL and catch my UK bound flight at 3pm.

I finally left DAB at 6pm, got to atlanta at 8 (after being held for what appeared an eternity), fought with delta there to get me a flight to the UK, closest i got was 10pm. finally got there at 7pm on saturday when i should have been there at 9am saturday.

You can imagine how pissed i was when they told us that they were looking at bumping the flight. but I will give them their dues, the staff at delta and also what ended up being a KLM flight via schipol (which was also bloody late), did great when they found out i was supposed to be burying my dad that sunday.

heck. they even gave me 1st class food on the way over to the uk even though i was in "middle class" (comfort +)

Charlie
    The FBO BBS - bbs.thefbo.us:2323 - IPv4/6

... Wildcat! is to BBSing what an Etch-a-sketch is to ART!
    === TitanMail/linux v1.2.3
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux