• Coming to Canada

From George Pope@1:153/757 to Ward Dossche on Tue Jan 31 07:15:32 2023
    I'm heading to the USA Oct.29th via Calgary. Probably nobody's interested in it, but I'm just telling you anyway .... Returning to Europe Nov.6th ... also via Calgary ...

So how was Calgary during your transfer/layover?

Was it worth leaving the older civilization of Europe for the USA for that time?

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-6
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)
  • From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to George Pope on Tue Jan 31 18:42:38 2023

Calgary is a beautifull airport to fly into and out of.

The main advantage for me is that I fly a lot into Montana. Via a US gateway that can become expensive because of 2 flight changes and the last leg often is a CRJ200, meaning fills up quickly and elbow room is at a premium.

Calgary is an intercontinental airport taking flights non-stop straight out of Europe, no expensive transfer fees, immigration is so low profile you need to wonder all the time "have we passed it already?". Every time I've been there everything was easy, it was not a fight nor struggle for survival such as New York airports often are. I like it.

Then I always stay at the Holiday Inn North at the Barlow Trail. Great rooms, excellent pool and a restaurant which serves a burger with Boursin cheese to die for. In the morning their shuttle takes me to the car rental that way I save a day on rental charges.

After that, just take highway-2 south and keep going until you hit the US border. Beautiful drive, especially in wintery environments.

I always stop at Nanton at the Bomber Command Museum, I find it a fascinating place...

Generally, I like Southern Alberta.

I once flew via Vancouver coming from Paris (France). At immigration and customs they said "Transfering to Westjet? Don't need to see your passport" ... " But, but ... I've got a minor with me (10yr old granddaughter at the time). don't you need to check the parental consent?" ... "No sir, everything's fine ..." ... :-)

Try passing a US border and they treat you like a common criminal.

Was it worth leaving the older civilization of Europe for the USA for
    that time?

Hmmmm ... you need to define what "civilized" means ...

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - 20220519
    * Origin: Many Glacier - Preserve / Protect / Conserve (2:292/854)
  • From George Pope@1:153/757 to Ward Dossche on Wed Mar 1 07:03:04 2023
    Calgary is a beautifull airport to fly into and out of.
    The main advantage for me is that I fly a lot into Montana. Via a US gateway
    that can become expensive because of 2 flight changes and the last leg often i
    a CRJ200, meaning fills up quickly and elbow room is at a premium.
    Calgary is an intercontinental airport taking flights non-stop straight out of
    Europe, no expensive transfer fees, immigration is so low profile you need to wonder all the time "have we passed it already?". Every time I've been there everything was easy, it was not a fight nor struggle for survival such as New York airports often are. I like it.
    Then I always stay at the Holiday Inn North at the Barlow Trail. Great rooms, excellent pool and a restaurant which serves a burger with Boursin cheese to die for. In the morning their shuttle takes me to the car rental that way I save a day on rental charges.
    After that, just take highway-2 south and keep going until you hit the US border. Beautiful drive, especially in wintery environments.
    I always stop at Nanton at the Bomber Command Museum, I find it a fascinating place...
    Generally, I like Southern Alberta.
    I once flew via Vancouver coming from Paris (France). At immigration and
    customs they said "Transfering to Westjet? Don't need to see your passport" ..
    " But, but ... I've got a minor with me (10yr old granddaughter at the time). don't you need to check the parental consent?" ... "No sir, everything's fine ..." ... :-)
    Try passing a US border and they treat you like a common criminal.
    Was it worth leaving the older civilization of Europe for the USA for
    that time?
    Hmmmm ... you need to define what "civilized" means ...

Gad we could treat you well on your "via". . . :)

I guess I meant "civilized" that time as "less grossly UNCivilized & with universal healthcare coverage."

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-6
    * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)