• Foenix F256K

From Kimberly Mears@1:135/210 to All on Wed Jun 28 09:47:38 2023
    Has anyone tried out one of the Foenix F256K machines? I was watching a video on them (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57FuA8YuXn0) and they look interesting enough. I was wondering if others had experience with them.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/01/28 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Black Flag <ACiD Telnet HQ> blackflag.acid.org:23 (1:135/210)
  • From Bob Purdon@3:633/420 to Kimberly Mears on Thu Jun 29 19:30:32 2023
    On 28 Jun 2023, Kimberly Mears said the following...

Has anyone tried out one of the Foenix F256K machines? I was watching a video on them (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57FuA8YuXn0) and they
    look interesting enough. I was wondering if others had experience with them.

Definitely looks interesting, but the price is sadly a bit beyond my "pain point" :-( I am keeping an eye on them though!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: TassieBob BBS, Hobart, Tasmania (3:633/420)
  • From Ron Lauzon@1:305/3 to Bob Purdon on Mon Jul 3 06:15:19 2023
    Definitely looks interesting, but the price is sadly a bit beyond my
    "pain point" :-( I am keeping an eye on them though!

Same here. It looked cool, but not cool enough to go over the bar to actually buy one.

For any new system to come in, I have to get rid of an old one and I'm pretty attached to the ones I have now.

... There is an exception to every rule, except this one.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: 8-Bit Boyz BBS! -=[ bbs.8bitboyz.com port:6502 ]=- (1:305/3)
  • From Kris Mccabe@1:154/50 to Ron Lauzon on Sun Jul 9 12:36:08 2023
    I feel the same way about this and as well, the Commander X16. Both look amazing, but it's really hard in 2023 to justify the funds for it.

On Mon 3-Jul-2023 6:15a, Ron Lauzon@1:305/3.0 said to Bob Purdon:
    Definitely looks interesting, but the price is sadly a bit beyond my "pain point" :-( I am keeping an eye on them though!

Same here. It looked cool, but not cool enough to go over the bar to actually buy one.

For any new system to come in, I have to get rid of an old one and I'm pretty attached to the ones I have now.

... There is an exception to every rule, except this one.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: 8-Bit Boyz BBS! -=[ bbs.8bitboyz.com port:6502 ]=- (1:305/3)

.: Oderus Urungus :.
    .: Planet Scumdogia :.
    .: Reign Of Fire BBS :.
    .:rof.cnetbbs.net:2300:.
    --- CNet/5
    * Origin: call.rofbbs.com ports 6800 6400 8502 / (423) 541-8271 (1:154/50)
  • From Bob Purdon@3:633/420 to Kris Mccabe on Fri Jul 14 19:19:22 2023
    I feel the same way about this and as well, the Commander X16. Both look amazing, but it's really hard in 2023 to justify the funds for it.

Yeah, Commander X16 is in the same boat for me - I would have loved to buy one of those first boards, but US$500 + shipping was way beyond what I could justify.

Hopefully once they ramp up production the price will drop to a level more compatible with my wallet.

Now if I could ramp up a US trip to sort some family things, but far enough away that the price has dropped, then I could pick one up while I'm in the US and save the shipping. Bonus points if I could visit one of the VCF events at the same time :-)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: TassieBob BBS, Hobart, Tasmania (3:633/420)
  • From Daniel Traechin@1:229/317 to Kimberly Mears on Sat Jul 15 05:30:04 2023
    Has anyone tried out one of the Foenix F256K machines? I was watching a video on them (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57FuA8YuXn0) and they
    look interesting enough. I was wondering if others had experience with them.

I've seen a few reviews. First was with Jan Beta and then a short one with Retro Recipes. It is too expensive for me but as time goes, things should hopefully change. I may be wrong, but the largest expense for this device is the case printing and keyboard (which is fully mechanical).

I'm not really picky about my keyboards. The one i've overused for three
    years is a chicklet style Dell keyboard issued by my office. I really like
    it. If they were to release the foenix with a standard membrane keyboard I'm sure the price would go down sharply and I would have zero issues using it. And if they were to do a kickstarter for a batch of injection molded cases, I'm sure it would be cheaper and I would likely donate. I'd buy a kit too.

I wish more of these outfits were able to set their shops with their own injection molding stations - but I'm sure that's really expensive and
    requires a load of learning to utilize properly..

I had early interest in the 8-bit guys's cx16 and lost interest about two years ago. It managed to scratch it's way out of vaporware territory to barely-made-it-out territory - no doubt due to the generous donations of a surprisingly eager community.

I grew frustrated in the project. They put up a site & forum, listed a large scope of plans. As a result, a community formed around it and many people
    wrote software for the platform. They ignored the forum they created (instead focused on their facebook page), asked to be left alone (because many months would pass without updates), collaborators admitted to taking multiple months off of the project to do other things. It seemed obvious that the project
    team had zero interest in continuing (I won't forget David's winter emergency and flooding problem - which was beyond his control). In this time of ignoring everyone, David wrote an entirely new game and ported it for every retro
    system that has ever existed and posted videos about it. It was a bit
    insulting to see his community waiting for updates while he was in an
    entirely different mindset. I know everyone has to make a living - but when a community is at your door knocking, you don't blow them off. That's a dick move.

It really bugged me that they asked to be left alone. If they were more steadfast in giving information, their community wouldn't badger them. Retro recipes dude was the moderator of the forum, and soon got removed from the project due to many disagreements with his collaborators. You may be able to notice that I've grown to dislike David.

They raised a buttload of money on the project and spent much of it on
    hardware that effectively didn't work well (like the auto-solder machine and the solder bricks) - and were forced to outsource the board manufacturing to
    an outfit in texas - which they could've done from the beginning and saved a ton of heartache and money.

The Foenix is what the cx16 could have been - it was created quicker with
    fewer issues. It's a small, intimate package that gives that feeling of retro-goodness.

For the Foenix, I'd have to get the wifi module to connect to bbs systems (which is how I'd primarily use it). I'm just waiting for applications to be written. I'd eagerly buy game cartridges for it too.

Daniel Traechin

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The Bottomless Abyss BBS * bbs.bottomlessabyss.net (1:229/317)