TOPICS

Some Background Information
    Test Post Newsgroups
    Adding Posting Dates To Newsgroup Notes
    E-mail Address
    Other Internet Security Steps
    Personal Opinion Statements

SOME BACKGROUND INFORMATION

A fair amount of detail has been included with this Newsgroup post because now that I finally have my Newsgroup posting program running again,
    I am planning to soon start recommending that Python programmers around the world consider working on the creation of a very important python computer language program that I believe will be of great value to international disaster management efforts and to quite a few scientists around the world.

The overall programming effort might best be run by university and government python programming personnel. But the computer program would
    have so many different uses that individual programmers would likely be able to make improvements and submit them for consideration by the university and government groups.

A perl computer language version of the program has been running for years. A long time ago, code for an early version was formally copyrighted
    in the United States. Program code was also made available for free use
    under a GNU license.

The version of perl that I am using processes computer program code
    in a very slow manner. The present perl program contains more than 13,000 line of code and has to generate png picture files by sending information to
    a gnuplot program.

Compiled python programs would run much faster and be of greater
    value to scientists. Gnuplot, for example, would no longer be needed. I expect that once a python version of the program became available to scientists, the program would evolve with tremendous speed. It should have the ability to tell scientists how to make improvements to its own math routines. They would improve the program's data generation accuracy and its value.

One of my specialty areas in science involves disaster management
    where I believe I am considered to be an "Expert." I have several degrees
    in the physical sciences. I do a fair amount of computer programming but would not be considered a python computer programming "Expert" or even a "Novice." So it would be difficult for me to translate the present perl and gnuplot routines to python.

In the past, one programming problem resulted from the fact that I developed the original perl program with the help of a retired U.S.
    government computer programmer. He could work with gnuplot and TrueBasic
    but was unable to work with either perl or python. A number of compromises had to be made. One involved using gnuplot to generate picture files.

TEST POST NEWSGROUPS

Several response posts to my original test posts discussed sending
    them to some test Newsgroup before posting them to the comp.lang.python Newsgroup.

I did post one or more of my original tests posts to the
    test.ignore Newsgroup.

There were two problems that I was having was with my E-mail
    computer program - Windows Live Mail - that also creates my Newsgroup posts.

First - It worked fine for E-mail after I installed it on my computer. But
    it would not work for Newsgroup posts. I called my E-mail server personnel about the problem. But they seemed to have no idea regarding what I was talking about and could not answer my questions.

Second - my Newsgroup post program would not use the return E-mail address that I wanted it to use when it created Newsgroup posts.

Solutions - The solutions for both problems were to just reset everything
    with my E-mail server and my E-mail and Newsgroup message creation program. Then the Newsgroup posting part of "Windows Live Mail" started working.

ADDING POSTING DATES TO NEWSGROUP NOTES

The contents of my Newsgroup posts are at times sent to people by E-mail or are posted to Internet forums. So, I usually add the posting date to my Newsgroup posts so that people receiving the E-mails or reading the forum posts know when the original Newsgroup message was posted. The
    E-mails etc. would just contain text information. People reading them would not be able to determine from the header information when the original Newsgroup note was posted.

E-MAIL ADDRESS

The response E-mail address attached to this Newsgroup post is a real E-mail address.

It has a special form so that the address can be easily changed when spam robots start sending E-mails to that address.

Over the years I have found that spam robots can create a variety of problems once they get hold of an E-mail address. Making a minor change in the E-mail address seems to take care of the problem. It appears that even
    a simple change can confuse most or all of the spam robots. For a while,
    they likely continue to send E-mails to an address that no longer exists and probably eventually abandon their efforts.

OTHER INTERNET SECURITY STEPS

Over the decades, I have sent a considerable amount of information to various world governments. They have at times made good use of my recommendations.

With each election, people running different governments, especially the U.S. government, can change their opinions regarding what they believe
    is and is not important. As a consequence, people running the U.S. government, for example, might presently like what a person states in a Newsgroup post. But 4 or 8 years from now, a new group of people running
    the government might not like what someone said 4 or 8 years in the past.

To be on the safe side, since various governments might be using my information regarding subjects such as "Renewable Energy," I don't add personal names to my Newsgroup posts or even to my E-mail messages.
    Instead, some neutral name such as "Science Researcher" is used.

Most government officials would probably not be able to easily determine who "Science Researcher," for example, is. Except in unusual circumstances, they likely won't attempt to check the header information associated with a Newsgroup post or an E-mail letter. If you add a personal name to a Newsgroup post, an E-mail, an Internet forum post, or your own Web site you are making it easy for possibly unfriendly future government officials to determine whom you might be and then get revenge on you for proposing that "Renewable Energy" is good!

PERSONAL OPINION STATEMENTS

"These are statements of personal opinion."

It is likely important to at times add the above "Personal Opinion" statement to Newsgroup posts when they contain specific words, phrases, or information etc. such as "Windows Live Mail" that might be copyrighted.
    Most people would probably not want to have the Microsoft corporation
    getting angry with them.

I also don't want my E-mail server personnel to become angry because
    I stated that they were unable to answer some simple questions regarding posting notes to Newsgroups.

Regards to all.

Science Researcher

--- MBSE BBS v1.0.8.4 (Linux-x86_64)
    * Origin: ---:- FTN<->UseNet Gate -:--- (3:633/280.2@fidonet)
  • From Science Researcher@3:633/280.2 to All on Sun Feb 18 20:35:40 2024
    Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Python_Stampede_Time=3F_=E2=80=93_Feb._18=2C?= =?UTF-8?Q?_2024?=

"Science Researcher" wrote in message news:z4acnQBO6MKF9kz4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@earthlink.com...

PROPOSED PYTHON COMPUTER LANGUAGE PROGRAM - Posted on February 17, 2024

PYTHON STAMPEDE TIME ? – Posted on February 18, 2024

Before discussing this specific topic in detail I am going to mention another Internet security practice. That practice applies to this
    particular posting.

WEB SITE ADDRESSES

It can pose some risks for a person to post a note to any Newsgroup
    or for him or her to even circulate an E-mail letter that contains his or
    her exact Web site address.

One of the reasons for this is the fact that many hackers around the world can probably gain access to files that contain Web site addresses.
    They can then change something in an address. When people click on that address they can then be fooled and transported to the hacker’s own Web site where there could be some malicious software.

Generally, what I myself do is point people to major Internet search engines where they can find links to my personal Web site. I expect that it can be difficult for hackers to effectively trick major Internet search engines such as Yahoo or Google into providing people with inaccurate Web
    site addresses. The hackers might trick the search engines for short
    periods of time. But recovery for the search engines should be fairly
    rapid.

PYTHON COMPUTER LANGUAGE PROGRAMMERS

Over the years, I have worked with personnel involved with quite a
    few governments and organizations such as the United Nations.

Some python Newsgroup readers might think that I am making up the following:

Without any doubt and quite surprisingly, the most cooperative people whom I have ever encountered are the people who post notes to the python Newsgroup.

My best guess is that they (some of you) do a certain amount of computer programming because it is simply interesting and fun. It is
    unlikely that anyone is paying you to post notes here.

I hope that this spirit of cooperation will continue. Responses to this present post should indicate if that will remain the case.

PYTHON STAMPEDE TIME ?

What I discovered long ago is the fact that perhaps the best way to
    get other scientists around the world to do something, or even anything, is
    to create a “Science Stampede.”

Most scientists like fame and fortune, especially the fame part.
    They like to publish scientific papers and see their publications get discussed in the international news.

They DON’T like to feel like they are getting left behind in some area of science where they believe they might be experts.

A “Science Stampede” involves circulating information that demonstrates that some important scientific discovery has been made. It proposes to scientists that their participation in some effort might get
    them some credit, or money, or both, with their employers or with international news service personnel.

If the scientists believe that the circulated information is credible they are likely to try to get involved with the subject matter. They might ask their employers to pay them to work on the project being discussed.

This sequence of events can quickly result in a “Science Stampede.” Everyone rushes to get a piece of the action.

HOW TO CREATE A PYTHON COMPUTER PROGRAM STAMPEDE

I am going to guess that the following should work. I hope that it will.

MY WEB SITE

Anyone who wants to visit my Web site can go to any major Internet search engine and type in the following line:

earthquake research index.html Data.html

My Earthquake Forecasting Web site address should be at or near the
    top of the returned list. If it is not, then try a different search engine.

Near the top of the index.html Web page there is a link for one of my Web pages called “Humanitarian Projects.” If you click on that link you will find a discussion of a number of proposed python computer programming efforts.

One is already running though I was not involved with the effort. It involves using python code to translate and compile programs written using other languages. One called PC BASIC was I believe created using that approach.

Also near the top of the index.html Web page there is a link for one
    of my Web pages called “Energy Islands.”

I believe that the “Energy Islands” discussed on my Web page represent a look into the future for some Renewable Energy projects. I am presently trying to get governments and scientific organization to take an interest in doing some research on those proposed “Inventions.” So far, I have never seen anything like them discussed anywhere.

EARTHQUAKE RELATED PYTHON COMPUTER PROGRAMS

My already existing perl language programs can do a number of things that are important for earthquake science.

1. They can generate data related to the locations of the sun and the moon
    in the sky relative to the surface of the Earth. Those data are in good agreement with the U.S. Navy’s MICA computer program.

There is a TrueBasic EXE computer program called SunGP that is available through my Web site. It generates those sun and moon location
    data plus some important data associated with an effect that scientists
    refer to as the “Tide Generating Force.”

That is not a true force but rather a math representation that
    explains how the sun and moon gravities affect ocean tides and the “Solid Earth Tide.”

It took a combined effort lasting about 6 months for a retired U.S. government computer programmer and me to create the SunGP computer program. Not being a math expert it was a nightmarish effort for me to try to picture how sun and moon gravity forces needed to be added together in 3 dimensions
    so that the needed data could be generated.

People whom I talked with in a math Newsgroup stated to me that there was no simpler way to add the gravity forces together in 3 dimensions than
    the equations that I had developed. However, I think that they were
    probably wrong. There must be an easier way.

Anyway, the equations that I developed do work as needed. A python computer program could easily do what the existing TrueBasic SunGP.exe computer program does.

2. The sun and moon data can be used by researchers to tell why many of our powerful earthquake are occurring at the exact times that they are
    occurring.

It is somewhat astonishing to me that after all of these centuries, I was likely the first scientist on the planet to clearly demonstrate that
    those earthquake triggering sun and moon gravity effects can be easily shown to exist. At least one scientific paper was published based on my data.

3. When the right type of earthquake precursor data are entered into my
    perl language computer program it becomes possible to predict when at least some of our powerful earthquakes are going to occur.

4. Using the right type of earthquake precursor data, the perl program can
    do an absolutely extraordinary job with predicting earthquake aftershocks. This is because we already know WHERE an aftershock is going to occur. We only need to determine WHEN one will occur.

5. My perl language program will run with the ancient Windows XP operating system, off a flash drive, and even using a read/write CD compact disk.

I don’t recommend that anyone try running the program using a read/write CD. I tried doing that. Snails move faster. Trees grow
    faster.

6. The entire program can be easily moved from one computer to another by copying the necessary directories and the 5.1 version of perl that the
    program uses.

7. EXE versions of the perl program can be created. But what they do is simply bundle the program code with the entire perl compiler. The resultant EXE program will run on a Windows computer. But it is both enormous and
    slow.

8. The perl language program has a feature that makes it possible to get
    the program running, then temporarily jump out of the program and change
    the code, and then tell the perl compiler to restart using the new code.

That feature was developed because when the program runs, it creates
    a variety of data arrays. They take a while to create. If the data arrays had to be recreated each time the program was restarted like that, nothing would ever get done. But with that routine, the arrays remain active in the computer. I understand that python can also do that.

9. Even I find it to be a nightmare to work with my perl language code.

They were created over a long period of time using layers of program code and subroutines that jump from one location to another using If Then
    GoTo commands.

That 5.1 ancient version of perl seems to be perfectly happy to jump out of a subroutine and go to another program location. It isn’t necessary to formally close the subroutine. However, you can’t simply jump INTO a subroutine and expect it to work. It has to be formally called.

It can literally take me days to add new features to the perl program because it is so complex. It is moderately well documented. But even then
    it can be difficult for me to determine exactly where some change needs to
    be made. That is partly because the perl program needs to interact with gnuplot.

One perl language expert who saw an EXE version of my program stated that it was the worst computer program he had ever seen.

He was likely correct with his opinion. But, not being a
    professional computer programmer, my attitude is that if a computer program runs and does what you want it to do, who cares if its code are a little (or
    a lot) ugly looking!

A python version of the program would be properly documented and actually look like it was written by professional computer programmers.

MY PERSONAL INTERESTS WITH THIS PROPOSED COMPUTER PROGRAM

Obviously, it is nice to be able to save some lives with an
    Earthquake Forecasting computer program that actually works. However, there is a personal financial consideration that I feel is important.

Over the years it probably cost me a million dollars U.S. worth of my research time to develop that perl language computer program. It presently costs me perhaps $20,000 worth of my research time per year to keep it running.

It would save me a lot of time and money to simply get rid of the program development and usage efforts. Geology is not one of my specialty areas of science.

Geologists around the world can have the program for free with my
    full blessing. Two of them already published a technical paper that was
    based on data that my computer programs generated. So, they like the
    general subject matter.

THE PROPOSED PYTHON COMPUTER PROGRAM, CASH, AND RESEARCH GRANTS

Scientists and their governments and other employers already know how to generate sun and moon location data. But, I have never heard of any free or even costly software that can generate the “Tide Generating Force” types
    of data that my already existing free SunGP computer program can generate. And, SunGP is just a very basic routine in the far more complex perl
    language program.

It might be difficult to believe, but there are no scientists or governments anywhere that I have ever heard of that can generate the earthquake triggering types of data that my perl language computer program
    can generate.

Scientists and their government would really LIKE to be able to do that. But even though my perl language computer code have been available to them for years for free through a GNU license, as far as I am aware, no one else has ever tried to use or duplicate those program code.

It is my opinion that if a reasonable looking python version of the computer program is created, many scientists around the world will quickly
    get involved in a “Science Stampede” as they attempt to get some credit, publications, or even cash by making improvements to the program.

Earthquake science should then progress faster than almost any
    science anyone has ever heard about.

Python computer programmers should become the proverbial “Kings of the hill!”

I personally have no intention of becoming an expert python
    programmer. BASIC has always been my favorite programming language, not perl. The earliest versions of my perl program were developed using
    GWBasic. However, it had extreme limitations that quickly forced me to move to perl. Back then, python was I believe still in its early stages of development. Now it appears to me to be the language of choice.

As stated earlier, python Newsgroup users seem to also be a lot friendly than perl Newsgroup users were way back then. However, I really couldn’t blame the perl Newsgroup users for not liking my program. Its code WOULD BE pretty ugly looking to a professional computer programmer.

These are statements of personal opinion.

Regards to all,

Science Researcher

--- MBSE BBS v1.0.8.4 (Linux-x86_64)
    * Origin: ---:- FTN<->UseNet Gate -:--- (3:633/280.2@fidonet)