• Re: Time to upgrade.

From Nick Andre@1:229/426 to Mark Hofmann on Sat Feb 3 13:23:35 2024
    On 03 Feb 24 11:41:46, Mark Hofmann said the following to All:

Finally catching up on messages over here. It sure is great to see all the D'Bridge updates over the past 1+ years. One thing I determined is I need upgrade my instances soon.

Good to be back.

Welcome back!

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
    * Origin: Joey, do you like movies about gladiators? (1:229/426)
  • From Mark Hofmann@1:261/1304 to All on Sat Feb 3 11:41:46 2024

Finally catching up on messages over here. It sure is great to see all the D'Bridge updates over the past 1+ years. One thing I determined is I need to upgrade my instances soon.

Good to be back.

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
    * Origin: http://www.weather-station.org * Bel Air, MD -USA (1:261/1304.0)
  • From Mark Hofmann@1:261/1304 to Nick Andre on Sun Feb 4 08:12:55 2024

Welcome back!

Thanks! Other than missing lots of D'Bridge updates, anything else new?

I finally finished doing a more professional job on my network switches/firewall rack in terms of cabling. I also did an upgrade on my storage server which now has 150tb of storage in two arrays.

Been doing car work, home projects, and of course the regular 9-5 job in there, too. At least that I can do 98% from home which makes it much more bearable.

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From Nick Andre@1:229/426 to Mark Hofmann on Sun Feb 4 14:27:51 2024
    On 04 Feb 24 08:12:55, Mark Hofmann said the following to Nick Andre:

Welcome back!

Thanks! Other than missing lots of D'Bridge updates, anything else new?

Busy with work, I finished a database project and now moved on to a sysadmin role of Mickey Mouse work but very generous salary.

Built a home NAS with Emby and two Dell R510's approx. 100tb of storage.

Planning on moving to a townhome this summer...

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
  • From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to Nick Andre on Mon Feb 5 00:52:11 2024
    Nick,

I should do something similar.

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - 20230201
    * Origin: Many Glacier - Preserve / Protect / Conserve (2:292/854)
  • From Mark Hofmann@1:261/1304 to Nick Andre on Mon Feb 5 07:43:02 2024

Busy with work, I finished a database project and now moved on to a sysadmin role of Mickey Mouse work but very generous salary.

Planning on moving to a townhome this summer...

Fantastic!

I'm still working at the same place, doing much of the same thing. Sometimes it is like herding cats - but at least I still am able to do technical and network arctitecture work to keep me sane.

I built a new main workstation PC in the fall - Ryzen 9 9700 12-core, 64gb RAM, 1tb nvme, 30tb spinning drives, (4) GPUs (3 for crypto mining), and maximum bling (which is the name of the PC). I couldn't resist getting the glowing colored power cables, infinity color fans, etc. Totally unnecessary but irresistable to me.

Great news on the planned move to a townhome. We completed the re-working of our basement this past year. It now has (2) stand up retro game centers, pinball, pool table, fish tank, and 75" wall mounted TV. We have date night and play pool there often. Lots of fun.

Eventually, I would like to get a medium/small in ground pool installed once prices come down to more realistic figures.

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to Mark Hofmann on Mon Feb 5 20:57:04 2024
    Great news on the planned move to a townhome. We completed the
    re-working of our basement this past year. It now has (2) stand up retro game centers, pinball, pool table, fish tank, and 75" wall mounted TV.
    We have date night and play pool there often. Lots of fun.

That sucks ... no indoor firing range ...

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - 20230201
  • From Nick Andre@1:229/426 to Mark Hofmann on Mon Feb 5 15:20:15 2024
    On 05 Feb 24 07:43:02, Mark Hofmann said the following to Nick Andre:

I built a new main workstation PC in the fall - Ryzen 9 9700 12-core, 64gb RAM, 1tb nvme, 30tb spinning drives, (4) GPUs (3 for crypto mining), and

Is crypto mining still even a thing? On Cp24.com our local media is making noise about the founder of one of those ops getting busted.

I'm still using a Falcon I7 workstation inherited from a finance guy with three Nvidia cards and six monitors. This and the laptop have been on Windows 11 for awhile now with no problems.

Great news on the planned move to a townhome. We completed the re-working our basement this past year. It now has (2) stand up retro game centers, pinball, pool table, fish tank, and 75" wall mounted TV. We have date nigh and play pool there often. Lots of fun.

I'm really only moving because I have a lot of "crap" and it would be nice to have somewhere to store said crap.

A guest room for friends/family to come visit has always been on the to-do list. Impossible to play host in this apartment.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
  • From Mark Hofmann@1:261/1304 to Ward Dossche on Mon Feb 5 18:43:07 2024

We have one of those less than a mile away from my house, so I figured we didn't really need that option. :)

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From Mark Hofmann@1:261/1304 to Nick Andre on Mon Feb 5 18:49:48 2024

Is crypto mining still even a thing? On Cp24.com our local media is
    making noise about the founder of one of those ops getting busted.

Yes, if you believe in the project. I mine Flux and also run several Flux nodes (they are decentralized compute) - to get away from big tech monopolies like Amazon. I have been working with that project for a few years now and have over $3k in gains and really have not invested a penny other than some time and hardware cycles.

I'm really only moving because I have a lot of "crap" and it would be
    nice to
    have somewhere to store said crap.

A guest room for friends/family to come visit has always been on the
    to-do list. Impossible to play host in this apartment.

Yeah, I know some people like to downsize when they get older. Not me. Having too much space isn't a problem that I acknowledge. That is like someone complaining about having too much money. I can always find crap to put in extra rooms, etc. :)

What is really crazy is there are people around here that will spend hundreds per month to rent storage space for their crap vs just getting a bigger place to live.

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From Nick Andre@1:229/426 to Mark Hofmann on Mon Feb 5 21:00:01 2024
    On 05 Feb 24 18:43:07, Mark Hofmann said the following to Ward Dossche:

We have one of those less than a mile away from my house, so I figured we didn't really need that option. :)

I would love to fire a gun.... hear that its just a great as sex.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
  • From Nick Andre@1:229/426 to Mark Hofmann on Mon Feb 5 21:04:21 2024
    On 05 Feb 24 18:49:48, Mark Hofmann said the following to Nick Andre:

Yes, if you believe in the project. I mine Flux and also run several Flux nodes (they are decentralized compute) - to get away from big tech monopoli like Amazon. I have been working with that project for a few years now and have over $3k in gains and really have not invested a penny other than some time and hardware cycles.

I think I'm curious about the Hydroelectrical cost to do this?

Yeah, I know some people like to downsize when they get older. Not me. Having too much space isn't a problem that I acknowledge. That is like someone complaining about having too much money. I can always find crap to put in extra rooms, etc. :)

With the NAS I'm able to part ways with many Dvd's of aquired crap that
    is now visual, instant, etc, can watch with any Smart TV etc..... I can move out and just take two rack servers with me instead of physical media.

My music collection is a different story. I'm afraid 27 boxes of vinyl records will be my anchor as I have too much sentimental / personal investment in all of that. Touchy-feely need to hold a classic album in my hands.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
  • From Dan Clough@1:135/115 to Nick Andre on Mon Feb 5 20:38:00 2024
    Nick Andre wrote to Mark Hofmann <=-

On 05 Feb 24 18:43:07, Mark Hofmann said the following to Ward
    Dossche:

It can be close, with the right gun.

The M1 Garand, for example.

After 8 hard thrusts, you get a VERY satisfying "PING!". ;-)

... A Smith & Wesson *ALWAYS* beats 4 Aces.
    === MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (1:135/115)
  • From Vincent Coen@2:25/0 to Nick Andre on Tue Feb 6 02:48:03 2024
    Hello Nick!

Monday February 05 2024 21:00, you wrote to Mark Hofmann:

On 05 Feb 24 18:43:07, Mark Hofmann said the following to Ward
    Dossche:

We have one of those less than a mile away from my house, so I
    figured we didn't really need that option. :)

Only if (cannons) and attached to a fast jet and also fire off some Air to Air/ground at the same time.

Wow, that does go back a ways :(

Vincent

--- Mageia Linux v8 X64/Mbse v1.0.8.4/GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
    * Origin: Air Applewood, The Linux Gateway to the UK & Eire (2:25/0)
  • From Mark Hofmann@1:261/1304 to Nick Andre on Tue Feb 6 07:35:26 2024

I wouldn't go that far, but it is lots of fun. :) I really need to sign up for the wear and carry permit training class. It is on my to-do list at some point.

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From Mark Hofmann@1:261/1304 to Nick Andre on Tue Feb 6 07:42:53 2024

I think I'm curious about the Hydroelectrical cost to do this?

Running my (3) extra GPUs uses around 500 watts or so. Prior to Bidenflation, you could get eletricity for around 4 cents per kwh. So basically it would cost 2 cents per hour to mine using these (3) GPUs. The best price I can get on electricity at the moment is 9.2 cents kwh (so more than double just 3 years ago). Still costs around 4-5 cents per hour at today's rates.

With the NAS I'm able to part ways with many Dvd's of aquired crap that
    is now visual, instant, etc, can watch with any Smart TV etc..... I can move out and just take two rack servers with me instead of physical
    media.
    My music collection is a different story. I'm afraid 27 boxes of vinyl records will be my anchor as I have too much sentimental / personal investment in all
    of that. Touchy-feely need to hold a classic album in my hands.

Yes, I did the same thing years ago. I threw away all my CDs and vinyl (unless it was autographed). I kept just a few that I had signed and that was it. I still remember seeing the trash pickup people pulling many of them out of my trash can and keeping them. I was never going to play a CD again, so I figured why keep them.

I do the same thing with Nvidia Shields connected to all the TVs for streaming and running Kodi. They are just UNC paths for music, movies, TV shows, etc.

- Mark

--- WWIVToss v.1.52
  • From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to Nick Andre on Tue Feb 6 15:47:09 2024

And you can reload immediately and fire again ...

Biggest I fired was a 155mm Howitzer. That gave off a bang, position yourself right and you could even see the shell in flight for some seconds ...

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - 20230201