• New Edition of the FidoGazette

From Oli@2:280/464.47 to Sean Dennis on Wed Jul 20 07:59:00 2022
    Sean wrote (2022-07-18):

An interesting article from the Register about using the x86 Raspberry Pi Desktop Linux distro to resurrect older computers is something I hope you find interesting.

As always, I'm always looking for content!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

FGAZ 18-13 Page 2 18 Jul 2022

=================================================================
    ARTICLES
    =================================================================

x86 Raspberry Pi Desktop is a great way to revive an old PC

The OS Formerly Known As Raspbian isn't just for the diminutive
    computer

Liam Proven in Prague Mon 11 Jul 2022 // 10:45 UTC

Great! Now everyone sharing the fidogazette violates the author's / The Registers' copyright.

Copy and paste (=stolen) content by bots is the new internet, soon it's the new Fidonet.

---
    * Origin: War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength. (2:280/464.47)
  • From Sean Dennis@1:18/200 to Oli on Wed Jul 20 10:11:02 2022
    Hello Oli,

Wednesday July 20 2022 07:59, you wrote to me:

Great! Now everyone sharing the fidogazette violates the author's /
    The Registers' copyright.

You're not a full member of Fidonet, Olivia. Your opinion doesn't matter to me and never will. Go cry to ENET.SYSOP; no one cares here.

-- Sean

... There's no future in time travel.
    --- GoldED/2 3.0.1
    * Origin: Outpost BBS: Home of the FidoGazette! (1:18/200)
  • From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to Sean Dennis on Wed Jul 20 16:34:46 2022
    You're not a full member of Fidonet, Olivia. Your opinion doesn't matter to me and never will. Go cry to ENET.SYSOP; no one cares here.

Watch you blood pressure, take your meds, keep breathing ... 8-)

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - 20220519
    * Origin: Many Glacier - Preserve / Protect / Conserve (2:292/854)
  • From Sean Dennis@1:18/200 to Ward Dossche on Wed Jul 20 13:42:06 2022
    Hello Ward,

Wednesday July 20 2022 16:34, you wrote to me:

Watch you blood pressure, take your meds, keep breathing ... 8-)

I'm trying. Though I do still get irritated easily. I'm dealing with Bjorn going off the rails in COOKING for no reason. I am trying hard not to get irritated because I really do not want another heart attack.

But I'm glad someone is reading the FG. For a while there, I though I screwed up something in the BBS change. (GoldEd picked the tagline; I didn't.)

-- Sean

... Behind every argument is someone's ignorance.
    --- GoldED/2 3.0.1
  • From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to Sean Dennis on Wed Jul 20 22:53:25 2022
    Sean,

I'm trying. Though I do still get irritated easily. I'm dealing with Bjorn going off the rails in COOKING for no reason.

My theory is that in order to become annoyed or irritated, you must want to become annoyed/irritated. If you fear it might cause you another heart attack then there are other priorities, for example dropping all those moderator statuses...

Bjorn is OK, just give him some time ...

But I'm glad someone is reading the FG.

It cuts-off here somewhere in the middle...

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - 20220519
  • From Sean Dennis@1:18/200 to Ward Dossche on Wed Jul 20 17:08:39 2022
    Hello Ward,

Wednesday July 20 2022 22:53, you wrote to me:

My theory is that in order to become annoyed or irritated, you must
    want to become annoyed/irritated. If you fear it might cause you
    another heart attack then there are other priorities, for example
    dropping all those moderator statuses...

Being moderator doesn't bother me. Dealing with people who are old enough to be my father or possibly grandfather yet act like fools is what gets me. But I have realized a wonderful solution: I just fired up my twit filter yet again.
    It works -great-.

I need to figure out an solution to post per page like I did under Linux. I'll have to add that to my "to do" list. I have doctor appointments at least three days a week for the next eight weeks plus I am porting my BBS doors to a new doorkit and that takes a good while.

Some good news though: I have been working hard to get my diabetes under control to some rather great success.

-- Sean

... "Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides, The Bacchae --- GoldED/2 3.0.1
  • From Sean Dennis@1:18/200 to Ward Dossche on Wed Jul 20 17:48:20 2022
    Hello Ward,

Wednesday July 20 2022 22:53, you wrote to me:

Good news: the same utility I used under Linux is availabler under ArcaOS so I should be able to port that script over very quickly.

-- Sean

... Ward must be around here somewhere; the modem is still warm.
    --- GoldED/2 3.0.1
  • From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to Sean Dennis on Thu Jul 21 08:34:34 2022
    Sean,

Being moderator doesn't bother me. Dealing with people who are old
    enough to be my father or possibly grandfather yet act like fools is what gets me. But I have realized a wonderful solution: I just fired up my
    twit filter yet again.

I've got a couple of things to say. First of all, there's Dossche's law #9:

"Never think you know a person from conducting on-line discussions. You
    need to break bread with that person first, have a coffee, get drunk
    together and keep eachother from crashing to the floor in eachother's
    vomit. Having sex may be a bonus."

Do you know Bjorn? How he ticks? How he talks? No you don't, you know as good as nothing about him. Probably he's a softspoken Swede, maybe a tad drunk, speaking in the melodic-rithmic way that Scandinavians do. He's got a lot to offer and we have sort of plans to meet someday before we kick the bucket.

True, he can be an arse, so can I, but try to consider him as a resource. You are a resource to me too and that makes it a lot easier.

By twtting someone you may miss good stuff. A twit filter may have been a tool 25 years ago, these days with the numbers we are, it is a loss.

Some good news though: I have been working hard to get my diabetes under control to some rather great success.

Diabetes is a still misunderstood killer.

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - 20220519
  • From Nick Andre@1:229/426 to Ward Dossche on Thu Jul 21 08:22:31 2022
    On 21 Jul 22 08:34:34, Ward Dossche said the following to Sean Dennis:

Do you know Bjorn? How he ticks? How he talks? No you don't, you know as go as nothing about him. Probably he's a softspoken Swede, maybe a tad drunk, speaking in the melodic-rithmic way that Scandinavians do. He's got a lot t offer and we have sort of plans to meet someday before we kick the bucket.

Enough with the Bjorn nonsense please. I lose respect for you every time you stick up for that Swedish meatball thats well past his expiry-date and needs to join his expired partner in the afterlife. As soon as possible.

What he "offers" is nonstop blah blah blah about a country many Sysops live in that cannot do anything to change the political affairs of. The way he blah blah blah's about it, you'd think he wants to be president of said country.

I gave him a fair chance a long time ago even when warned not to... I know enough about him now to form an opinion. And that is one where he can F right off and die and I won't be the least bit sad about it. On the contrary it
    would be seen as a nice breath of fresh air. For MANY people.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2
    * Origin: Joey, do you like movies about gladiators? (1:229/426)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to SEAN DENNIS on Thu Jul 21 15:47:00 2022
    Being moderator doesn't bother me. Dealing with people who are old enough to
    my father or possibly grandfather yet act like fools is what gets me. But I ve realized a wonderful solution: I just fired up my twit filter yet again. It works -great-.

I was going to suggest that. :)

Some good news though: I have been working hard to get my diabetes under contr
    to some rather great success.

Good deal!

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * "You've stolen my soul!" - Granpa Simpson
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From Mike Powell@1:2320/105 to NICK ANDRE on Thu Jul 21 15:50:00 2022
    What he "offers" is nonstop blah blah blah about a country many Sysops live in
    that cannot do anything to change the political affairs of. The way he blah blah blah's about it, you'd think he wants to be president of said country.

Unless he really is Lee from Louisiana, and not the other way around, he luckily never can be.

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil!" - Granpa S
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)
  • From Ward Dossche@2:292/854 to Mike Powell on Fri Jul 22 09:05:51 2022
    Mike,

Unless he really is Lee from Louisiana, and not the other way around, he luckily never can be.

Anything can happen, including this US Supreme Court to call the constitution unconstitutional.

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - 20220519