• long messages

From Carlos Navarro@2:341/234.5 to Tim Schattkowsky on Sat Nov 26 09:27:38 2022
    Tim,

WinPoint seems to have trouble with long messages.

There have been some in FIDOTEST, around 200K. Here the first one was cut at 40K and the next ones were not tossed to the messagebase.

Carlos
    --- WinPoint 411.1
    * Origin: Original *WinPoint* Origin (2:341/234.5)
  • From Tim Schattkowsky@2:310/31.6 to Carlos Navarro on Mon Nov 28 18:59:37 2022
    //Hello Carlos,//

on *26.11.22* at *8:27:38* You wrote in Area *WINPOINT*
    to *Tim Schattkowsky* about *"long messages"*.

Tim,

There have been some in FIDOTEST, around 200K. Here the first one was cut at 40K and the next ones were not tossed to the messagebase.

Cannot generally confirm this. There is no general limitation on the message length (other a 2GB limit for an area file) and I recently did some testing with long messages without problems. I only noticed that the word wrap algorithm explodes for long messages leading to very long display times vor certain contents. I have that on the list.

Still, if you have a message that causes problems, let me see. Can you send me a corresponding .pkt containing these messages?

Regards,
    Tim

--- WinPoint 412.0
    * Origin: Original WinPoint Origin! (2:310/31.6)
  • From Carlos Navarro@2:341/234.5 to Tim Schattkowsky on Mon Nov 28 20:29:00 2022

No, it doesn't.

Cannot generally confirm this. There is no general limitation on the message length (other a 2GB limit for an area file) and I recently did some testing with long messages without problems.
    [...]

Indeed. I've done some tests and WinPoint has no problem with long messages -- it only gets a bit slow when displaying one of those.

Those messages were already broken in the .PKT that the tosser at my node generated for this point (it was a rescan for FIDOTEST).

Sorry, and thank you for your support.

Carlos

--- WinPoint 411.1
    * Origin: Original *WinPoint* Origin (2:341/234.5)
  • From Tim Schattkowsky@2:310/31.6 to Carlos Navarro on Tue Nov 29 21:24:54 2022
    //Hello Carlos,//

on *28.11.22* at *19:29:00* You wrote in Area *WINPOINT*
    to *Tim Schattkowsky* about *"Re: long messages"*.

No, it doesn't.

Cannot generally confirm this. There is no general limitation on the
    message length (other a 2GB limit for an area file) and I recently did
    some testing with long messages without problems.
    [...]

Indeed. I've done some tests and WinPoint has no problem with long messages -- it only gets a bit slow when displaying one of those.

Those messages were already broken in the .PKT that the tosser at my node generated for this point (it was a rescan for FIDOTEST).

Unfortunetely, I had the impression that the tests showed that there is a lot of sofware involved in the message transit that even has problems with message lengths significantly below 64k. AFAIR we found a common software where 16K already is the limit.

Sorry, and thank you for your support.

Thanks for the clarification :)

Regards,
    Tim

--- WinPoint 412.0
    * Origin: Original WinPoint Origin! (2:310/31.6)