• list.com

From AKAcastor@21:1/162 to Ed Vance on Tue Apr 16 16:46:08 2024
    LIST.com written by (IIRC) Vernon Berg.
    Fell in love with it and have a BAT file on XP box
    called L.bat since I use it regularly.

The batch file is a nice idea, I think besides 'cd' and 'dir' probably 'list' is typed more than anything else. Big efficiency win by cutting it from 4 down to 1 keypress. :)

Alt-h is the On/Off toggle that You found.

It's such an obvious hotkey too, I am surprised I didn't find it even without reading the help screen! I am pretty good at being oblivious to things.

Sometimes I look at html code to see and learn about how to write html.

Peeking inside all kinds of files is such a great way to learn how things work! I'm surprised by how many people who are longtime computer users don't realize you can open files up in different applications, and that plain text editors or hex viewers exist. (ok the last part doesn't surprise me quite as much, but the genuine lack of knowledge that it's POSSIBLE does surprise me sometimes.)

Do you have a favourite text editor? I usually use QEdit, but to be honest I lost the muscle memory for all the hotkeys so it's not really easier for me than any other text editor these days. I got spoiled by the GUIs over the years.

Chris/akacastor

--- Maximus 3.01
    * Origin: Another Millennium - Canada - another.tel (21:1/162)
  • From Skylar@21:1/183 to apam on Tue Apr 16 17:20:40 2024
    Re: hello! :DD
    By: apam to niter3 on Wed Apr 17 2024 09:47 am

I'm not up to speed with minix, but is that a currently active OS? Meaning, is it getting constant patches?

Not really. Minix 3.3.0 is the most recent version, and they have a
    snapshot of 3.4.0 but it hasn't been updated in 5 years.

Minix was created by a professor (Andrew Stuart Tanenbaum) as an educational tool for his classes/students. It was not intended to be an OS used daily by anyone who would want or need "constant patches". ;)

Probably meant more for someone who would get their hands in the code and fix it themself.
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (21:1/183)
  • From Skylar@21:1/183 to AKAcastor on Tue Apr 16 17:26:15 2024
    Re: list.com
    By: AKAcastor to Ed Vance on Tue Apr 16 2024 04:46 pm

Peeking inside all kinds of files is such a great way to learn how things work! I'm surprised by how many people who are longtime computer users don't realize you can open files up in different applications, and that plain text editors or hex viewers exist.

I remember discovering disk/sector editors, and that I could change strings in executables. MSDOS became JRDOS (my initials are JR). Many DOS commands in my command.com did not "work" because I had changed the "name" of the command. PC Tools and Norton Utilities were a lot of fun for me in the mid to late 80s.

Not as much fun for my computer teacher, though...
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From mary4@21:1/166 to AKAcastor on Wed Apr 17 10:28:36 2024
    On 16 Apr 2024, AKAcastor said the following...

LIST.com written by (IIRC) Vernon Berg.
    Fell in love with it and have a BAT file on XP box
    called L.bat since I use it regularly.

The batch file is a nice idea, I think besides 'cd' and 'dir' probably 'list' is typed more than anything else. Big efficiency win by cutting
    it from 4 down to 1 keypress. :)

fancy
    Alt-h is the On/Off toggle that You found.

It's such an obvious hotkey too, I am surprised I didn't find it even without reading the help screen! I am pretty good at being oblivious to things.

interesting!
    Sometimes I look at html code to see and learn about how to write htm

Peeking inside all kinds of files is such a great way to learn how
    things work! I'm surprised by how many people who are longtime computer users don't realize you can open files up in different applications, and that plain text editors or hex viewers exist. (ok the last part doesn't surprise me quite as much, but the genuine lack of knowledge that it's POSSIBLE does surprise me sometimes.)

yeah we more computer knowledge!
    Do you have a favourite text editor? I usually use QEdit, but to be honest I lost the muscle memory for all the hotkeys so it's not really easier for me than any other text editor these days. I got spoiled by
    the GUIs over the years.

i love nano and FreeDOS edit.com i use kate for large projects with many files xD i really hate the bloated m$ code! xD

--mary4 (Victoria Crenshaw) the 286 enthusiast

... A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. Asks: 'Can I join you?'

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Datanet BBS | telnet://datanetbbs.net:23 (21:1/166)
  • From mary4@21:1/166 to Skylar on Wed Apr 17 10:33:10 2024
    I remember discovering disk/sector editors, and that I could change strings in executables. MSDOS became JRDOS (my initials are JR). Many
    DOS commands in my command.com did not "work" because I had changed the "name" of the command. PC Tools and Norton Utilities were a lot of fun
    for me in the mid to late 80s.

thats so cool! and funny xD i wish i had stories like this to share but my delve into vintage PCS happened in 2008-2011

... The caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity

• From AKAcastor@21:1/162 to Skylar on Tue Apr 16 17:36:48 2024
    I remember discovering disk/sector editors, and that I
    could change strings in executables. MSDOS became JRDOS
    (my initials are JR). Many DOS commands in my
    command.com did not "work" because I had changed the
    "name" of the command. PC Tools and Norton Utilities
    were a lot of fun for me in the mid to late 80s.

Hex editing strings in executables is the foundation upon which my hacking career is based. :)

Sector editors, that really was like opening a door to a new level of magic! (and then.. oops! haha)

I was going to say I never used PC Tools much, but then I saw a screenshot and remembered that it was definitely something I had around. The name Central Point Software brought back some memories.

Norton Utilities was such an incredible product. The quality and usefulness of those utilities!! Good enough that they could bank on the name "Norton" selling software for years, no matter how terrible they eventually made it after the sale to Symantec.

Between Norton Utilities and his book The Programmer's Guide to the IBM PC, how would we have survived using PCs in the 1980s without Peter Norton?! Huge impact when it came to "making things work".

Some of our teachers must have been saints to put up with us without expulsion. :)

Chris/akacastor

--- Maximus 3.01
  • From apam@21:1/182.1 to Skylar on Wed Apr 17 11:15:28 2024
    By: Skylar to apam on Tue Apr 16 2024 05:20 pm

Not really. Minix 3.3.0 is the most recent version, and they have a
    snapshot of 3.4.0 but it hasn't been updated in 5 years.

Minix was created by a professor (Andrew Stuart Tanenbaum) as an educational tool for his classes/students. It was not intended to be an OS used daily by anyone who would want or need "constant patches". ;)

It's an opensource operating system that anyone can participate in. Sure originally it might have been exclusivley an educational tool, but it's more than that these days. Infact I believe that intel use minix in their Management Engine.

Probably meant more for someone who would get their hands in the code and fix it themself.

I'm not really talking about constant patches, I'm talking about the 3.4.0 branch hasn't been touched in 5 years. So, it's not getting ANY patches, and still missing things like USB support.

It's a nice operating system and can do lots of things, especially now it has netbsd compatibility and can use pkgsrc, however it seems that interest in it has waned.

Andrew
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: HappyLand - happylnd.synchro.net (21:1/182.1)
  • From Skylar@21:1/183 to apam on Tue Apr 16 18:28:21 2024
    Re: Minix
    By: apam to Skylar on Wed Apr 17 2024 11:15 am

I'm not really talking about constant patches, I'm talking about the 3.4.0 branch hasn't been touched in 5 years.

I was responding to niter3 asking whether Minix was getting constant patches. ;)
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From Ed Vance@21:1/175 to AKAcastor on Tue Apr 16 21:18:10 2024
    Before Logging on again, I turned the XP box on to see the L.bat file that I put in a sub-directory actually is: list/w .

At a cmd prompt I typed set and the sub-directory is located in the path= statement.
    I looked, but I can't find where or when or how XP put my location for l.bat in the path. PC=1. Ed=0. again.

The list help file has a .doc extension , XP thinks it is a Wordpad Document instead of a text file.
    At a cmd prompt I use EDIT.EXE , occasionally.
    I use WordPad for most of what I write.

Often I go to a Admin cmd prompt and make.txt files of all files on the HDD.
    AT C:\ I type dir /s/-p >> 'place to put the text file' .
    And a second time I add /b ahead of the /s/-p portion of the command.

I mostly will look at the file made with the /b when I am wondering where on the C: Drive is a file I want to find, since the /b option shows the Full Path also.

Ages ago I read an article saying .rtf files can contain problem code, but since I am writing text I don't think any .rtf file I ever shared with others would harm their system.

You wrote the word 'oblivious' .

40 years ago when I bought the Commodore C=64 , 1541 and VIC Modem 300 I also purchased a pack of two 5 1/4" floppy disks for $2.00 USD.

I read in the 1541 manual the Command new was used to format a disk.
    I tried over and over typing new the disk name Comma two letters.
    Never could make the floppy drive format one of the disks.

The 1541 drive had a Utilities Disk and I saw a PRG (Program) with the title of "Test Disk", so I ran it, was asked to insert a blank disk in the slot and press Return.
    When the test finished I learned the blank disk had been formatted.

I used that PRG to format the other disk I had and began typing in and saving BASIC code in Popular Electronics mags and other books I had.
    I'd say that first formatted disk was made when the C=64 System was two weeks old.
    Much later in reading, I learned the Command on PAGE 1 of the book called 'open' was suppose to be typed first, then some numbers and then I could type 'new' on the command line and my 1541 would format a disk for me.

OBLIVIOUS ???, It wasn't to me. and I am still that way.

No one needs to make up stories about Me, telling it as You saw me do it is bad enuf.

Here is another one:
    Late one night I accidentally touched the mouse button as I had Windows Explorer open and saw a sub-directory disappear.
    It was bed time so I shut the PC off.
    The next morning at a cmd prompt I typed dir *. /s to look for the missing folder.
    I had remembered the name.
    I found that I had dragged the sub-directory down to the next one shown in Windows Explorer, so I moved it back where it originally had been.

THEN I told on myself in the FIDO Windows echo.
    The next day a reply message mentioned all I needed to do after the sub-directory disappeared was to press CTRL z (which I knew was Undo).
    DUH

Is there anyone reading remember when Tom Walker wrote to me about
    CTRL z years ago?
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (21:1/175)
  • From Ben Collver@21:1/149 to AKAcastor on Tue Apr 16 19:53:53 2024
    By: AKAcastor to Ed Vance on Tue Apr 16 2024 04:46 pm

I've been working on porting OpenBSD ed(1) to DOS. The DJGPP port was a breeze, but the 16-bit port has been a fun challenge and i am not finished
    yet. :-)

When i developed code on DOS in the mid 90's, I used Q.EXE now known as
    the Semware editor, i think.

These days i tend to use calvin in DOS. It's a lean vi clone that may be
    too minimal for most folks. XVI is another nice one and i think it has a
    nice balance between features and minimalism. IIRC, xvi is descended
    from stevie. Someone told me elvis 1.8 on simtelnet is decent, and it is real-mode.

I recently tried svared and i think they did a fine job making that editor.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
    * Origin: The Fool's Quarter, fqbbs.synchro.net (21:1/149)
  • From Lynx769@21:1/158 to AKAcastor on Wed Apr 17 12:36:24 2024
    Norton Utilities was such an incredible product. The quality and usefulness of those utilities!! Good enough that they could bank on the name "Norton" selling software for years, no matter how terrible they eventually made it after the sale to Symantec.

Between Norton Utilities and his book The Programmer's Guide to the IBM PC, how would we have survived using PCs in the 1980s without Peter Norton?! Huge impact when it came to "making things work".

That name brought back some memories. In high school, there was a group of us that completed the two computer science classes which had state-provided curriculum, but we were still seniors and wanted a "CS3" elective. The CS teacher was a brand-new teacher, who just graduated with a CS degress herself and only a few years older than us, agreed to teach the class.

The only problem was that they scheduled our class in the same room and time as the CS2 class. So, guess where the teacher spent her time? She would give us projects to work on, but we were seniors and not all that motivated to complete them.

Anyway, for one of her "projects," she handed us Peter Norton's book and told us to read it. That one I completed and thoroughly enjoyed.

-- Lachlan

... A PC a day keeps the Apple away!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/04/30 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: thE qUAntUm wOrmhOlE, rAmsgAtE, uK. bbs.erb.pw (21:1/158)
  • From mary4@21:1/166 to Ben Collver on Wed Apr 17 23:50:27 2024
    I've been working on porting OpenBSD ed(1) to DOS. The DJGPP port was a breeze, but the 16-bit port has been a fun challenge and i am not
    finished yet. :-)

yoooooooooo
    thats COOOL!!! 16 BIT POWER!!!!!!!!!!! <33 lol

... Help! I can't find the "ANY" key.

• From tenser@21:1/101 to Skylar on Thu Apr 18 01:56:43 2024
    On 16 Apr 2024 at 05:20p, Skylar pondered and said...

Minix was created by a professor (Andrew Stuart Tanenbaum) as an educational tool for his classes/students. It was not intended to be an
    OS used daily by anyone who would want or need "constant patches". ;)

Probably meant more for someone who would get their hands in the code
    and fix it themself.

Tell that to Intel. :-D

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Ben Collver@21:1/149 to Lynx769 on Wed Apr 17 09:04:34 2024
    Re: Re: list.com
    By: Lynx769 to AKAcastor on Wed Apr 17 2024 12:36 pm

I enjoyed reading about your CS3 experience in high school.

I had a similar experience, except for me they called it
    "Reading & Conference". Only a handful of us were in it.
    We could do whatever we wanted and our entire grade would
    be the result of a final project.

My project was to write a game called "Battle Checkers"
    inspired by two other games: Scorched Earth and Battle Chess.
    These systems were running DOS 3 and had Hercules Graphics.
    I was using Borland Turbo Basic, which did not have built-in
    support for Hercules. My teacher gave me a book with the PC
    memory map and i disassembled programs to figure out how to
    drive it. Then i wrote graphics routines in ASM that i
    called from BASIC. I also wrote a keyboard-based pixel art
    drawing program. The teacher and my class mates were
    impressed with how the game turned out. My teacher said
    that he was relieved that i didn't choose to make a
    D&D character generator, because he had seen so many that
    it had become a cliche.

Unfortunately, though i was proud of this, i had backed it up
    on floppies, and those floppies were destroyed while in
    storage. I no longer have any of that code.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
    * Origin: The Fool's Quarter, fqbbs.synchro.net (21:1/149)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Ben Collver on Wed Apr 17 07:09:00 2024
    Ben Collver wrote to AKAcastor <=-

When i developed code on DOS in the mid 90's, I used Q.EXE now known as the Semware editor, i think.

Qedit was my goto editor throughout the DOS days up until Windows 2000.
    W2K had an OS/2 subsystem and could run OS/2 console apps. Qedit for
    OS/2 dealt with long file names (if memory serves) and ran better than
    the DOS version in Windows.

The Semware editor released a free version a while ago, I'm using it
    now. It's a nice progression from Qedit.

After tolerating vi all these years, I'm trying to use it more. I have
    a blog on my tilde that I'm writing with vim, trying to recover muscle
    memory long gone from writing code under xenix. I'll still find myself
    hitting "ctrl-K X" to exit instead of ":wq". :)

... YORGAMAK HAS ARRIVED AND WILL INITIATE DESTRUCTIMATION.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From mary4@21:1/166 to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu Apr 18 09:26:52 2024
    Qedit was my goto editor throughout the DOS days up until Windows 2000.
    W2K had an OS/2 subsystem and could run OS/2 console apps. Qedit for
    OS/2 dealt with long file names (if memory serves) and ran better than
    the DOS version in Windows.

qedit works on 16 bit dos?0
    The Semware editor released a free version a while ago, I'm using it
    now. It's a nice progression from Qedit.

?
    After tolerating vi all these years, I'm trying to use it more. I have
    a blog on my tilde that I'm writing with vim, trying to recover muscle
    memory long gone from writing code under xenix. I'll still find myself
    hitting "ctrl-K X" to exit instead of ":wq". :)

wwww vim 7 on 286

... Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives

• From AKAcastor@21:1/162 to Ed Vance on Wed Apr 17 17:40:54 2024
    Before Logging on again, I turned the XP box on to see
    the L.bat file that I
    put in a sub-directory actually is: list/w .

Oh yeah, "list /w ." is a great way to view a directory and inspect files, I tried it out here and it has a real "power user" feeling (in a good way).

At a cmd prompt I typed set and the sub-directory is located in the path= statement.
    I looked, but I can't find where or when or how XP put
    my location for l.bat in
    the path. PC=1. Ed=0. again.

You might find that in the 'System Properties' window (If you right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Properties' it will open). In the 'Advanced' tab there is an 'Environment Variables' button.

At a cmd prompt I use EDIT.EXE , occasionally.
    I use WordPad for most of what I write.

I don't mind EDIT.EXE, I also use it sometimes - a lot better than using EDLIN! I never did really learn how to use EDLIN but I think I stumbled through a couple edits with it over the years.

Often I go to a Admin cmd prompt and make.txt files of
    all files on the HDD.
    AT C:\ I type dir /s/-p >> 'place to put the text file' .
    And a second time I add /b ahead of the /s/-p portion of the command.

I find the /b switch useful too, a nice way to make a quick list of files in a directory (or subdirectories).

Ages ago I read an article saying .rtf files can contain problem code, but since I am writing text I don't think any .rtf file I ever shared with others would harm their system.

I think RTF (and other rich documents) are only a danger if you are opening files that were created by someone malicious. I don't think I've ever heard of any accidental problems.
    40 years ago when I bought the Commodore C=64 , 1541 and VIC Modem 300 EV> I also purchased a pack of two 5 1/4" floppy disks for $2.00 USD.

This still sounds like an exciting purchase! Did you buy them all the same day? Big box of Commodore goodies.

I read in the 1541 manual the Command new was used to format a disk.
    I tried over and over typing new the disk name Comma two letters.

The 1541 drive had a Utilities Disk and I saw a PRG (Program) with the EV> title of "Test Disk", so I ran it, was asked to insert a blank disk in EV> the slot and press Return.

This spirit of experimentation is familiar to me, I can't count how many times over the years I didn't know what I was doing and just TRIED THINGS and stumbled onto a solution for a problem. Sometimes the solution is only a side-effect of whatever action I took, but if it works then it works and I consider it a success!

Much later in reading, I learned the Command on PAGE 1 of the book called 'open' was suppose to be typed first, then some numbers and then I could EV> type 'new' on the command line and my 1541 would format a disk for me.

You gotta know the secret incantations! :) And they HID them on page 1! When we just got new hardware there's too much excitement in the air to just sit down and read carefully. I bet we've all missed the instructions that were right in front of us at least once (I like it so much I do it often).

No one needs to make up stories about Me, telling it as
    You saw me do it is bad enuf.

Your telling of the stories is always wonderful, Ed, and I really appreciate you sharing these stories. I always smile when I see a message from you.

Late one night I accidentally touched the mouse button as I had Windows Explorer open and saw a sub-directory disappear.
    It was bed time so I shut the PC off.
    The next morning at a cmd prompt I typed dir *. /s
    to look for the missing folder.

Hey there's another old DOS trick! Using DIR *. to list directories, in versions of DOS before the /ad switch was supported. I remember reading about this trick in a magazine in the early 90s - maybe DOS Resource Guide.

It usually works great because we rarely use extensions on directory names, and almost always use extensions on filenames. I like the trick because "list everything without an extension" isn't exactly the same as "list all directories", but it still works most of the time.

I found that I had dragged the sub-directory down to the next one shown in Windows Explorer, so I moved it back where it originally had been.

At least you realized you had done it! More than once I've looked through a directory I hadn't been in for a while, and found another directory tucked away inside that was dropped there accidentally at some time in the past and gotten lost. Oops!

THEN I told on myself in the FIDO Windows echo.
    The next day a reply message mentioned all I needed to do after the sub-directory disappeared was to press CTRL z (which I knew was Undo).
    DUH

Maybe doing things "the hard way" sometimes builds character, you do seem to have plenty of that! :)

Chris/akacastor

--- Maximus 3.01
  • From AKAcastor@21:1/162 to Ben Collver on Wed Apr 17 18:25:22 2024
    I've been working on porting OpenBSD ed(1) to DOS. The DJGPP port was a breeze, but the 16-bit port has been a fun challenge and i am not finished yet. :-)

When i developed code on DOS in the mid 90's, I used Q.EXE now known as the Semware editor, i think.

These days i tend to use calvin in DOS. It's a lean vi clone that may be too minimal for most folks. XVI is another nice one and i think it has a nice balance between features and minimalism. IIRC, xvi is descended
    from stevie. Someone told me elvis 1.8 on simtelnet is decent, and it is real-mode.

I recently tried svared and i think they did a fine job
    making that editor.

Thanks for the great list of suggestions - the only one I've used is QEdit, I have used vi (but never really learned it - I can insert/edit text and exit the editor) but that's it. So maybe its time to try something new here.

I've been using an old version of QEdit (3.00 from 1994) but I haven't even memorized the hotkeys, I just go through the menus, so I'm not especially efficient when using it.

Chris/akacastor

--- Maximus 3.01
  • From AKAcastor@21:1/162 to Lynx769 on Wed Apr 17 18:32:32 2024
    The only problem was that they scheduled our class in
    the same room and time as the CS2 class. So, guess where
    the teacher spent her time? She would give us projects
    to work on, but we were seniors and not all that
    motivated to complete them.

Anyway, for one of her "projects," she handed us Peter
    Norton's book and told us to read it. That one I
    completed and thoroughly enjoyed.

I haven't actually read the book myself, I just know of it by its massive reputation. Reading that must have been a great foundation to keep developing on. Good idea from teacher!

Chris/akacastor

--- Maximus 3.01
  • From Skylar@21:1/183 to tenser on Wed Apr 17 18:40:53 2024
    Re: Re: Minix
    By: tenser to Skylar on Thu Apr 18 2024 01:56 am

Tell that to Intel. :-D

I suspect folks at Intel already know they can fix it. They don't need me to tell them. :D
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to mary4 on Wed Apr 17 19:13:52 2024
    Re: Re: list.com
    By: mary4 to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu Apr 18 2024 09:26 am

qedit works on 16 bit dos?0

Yes, they did make a QEdit for DOS. Back when I got my first PC in 1992, it was running DOS, and I used QEdit.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From Skylar@21:1/183 to AKAcastor on Wed Apr 17 19:10:53 2024
    By: AKAcastor to Ed Vance on Wed Apr 17 2024 05:40 pm

This spirit of experimentation is familiar to me, I can't count how many times over the years I didn't know what I was doing and just TRIED THINGS and stumbled onto a solution for a problem.

Wow, this brings back memories.

My first experience was using a Commodore PET in my school's library to play "educational games". The games were loaded from a casette (or dataset in Commodore speak). But I wanted to learn how to create those games...

I was able to find a book on BASIC and started bringing a cassette tape with me to school. I have no idea how many days I was confused and disappointed because the code that I wrote the day before would not load from the tape.

I know it took several days for me to figure out that the SAVE command (and record button) was needed *once I was ready to save*. I was typing SAVE, pressing the record button, and then type type type... expecting my program to be written to the tape as I typed it! :D :D :D

Oh, the things we laugh at now.
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From mary4@21:1/166 to Nightfox on Thu Apr 18 12:21:58 2024
    Yes, they did make a QEdit for DOS. Back when I got my first PC in
    1992, it was running DOS, and I used QEdit.

ohh!! i need to see

... 640K ought to be enough for anybody. -Bill Gates, 1981.

• From mary4@21:1/166 to Skylar on Thu Apr 18 12:45:17 2024
    thats a cool story! <3

... I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed.

• From AKAcastor@21:1/162 to Skylar on Wed Apr 17 20:09:48 2024
    My first experience was using a Commodore PET in my
    school's library to play "educational games". The games
    were loaded from a casette (or dataset in Commodore
    speak). But I wanted to learn how to create those games...

I can relate to this too - using a computer and almost immediately thinking "I want to create these programs. How do I create these programs? I'm going to do this."

I know it took several days for me to figure out that
    the SAVE command (and record button) was needed *once I
    was ready to save*. I was typing SAVE, pressing the
    record button, and then type type type... expecting my
    program to be written to the tape as I typed it! :D :D :D

If you type faster you can fit a longer program on the tape!!

I love how it is simultaneously silly but also logical. Great story.

Chris/akacastor

--- Maximus 3.01
  • From Lynx769@21:1/158 to Ben Collver on Thu Apr 18 11:52:19 2024

I loved Battle Chess and Scorched Earth both. I recently came across a retro DOS game archiving project called "eXoDos" and it had both of those in it. I loaded up Scorched Earth and actually got my kids to play a game with me. I was a lot of fun.

We played quite a bit of Scorched Earth duing CS3.

That's seriously impressive and far beyond what I was able to accomplish, but then I've always been more interested in building the hardware than coding.

That's a shame. Last year I came across my name on a wiki of OS/2 software. I completely forgot that I wrote a little random tagline generator and the program and the file of taglines were still available on an OS/2 archive site. I was able to download it and put it in my archive.

It's true that anything you put on the Internet is forever.

-- Lachlan

... THE fIRST sTEP iS tO tAKE oFF tHE cAPS lOCK

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/04/30 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: thE qUAntUm wOrmhOlE, rAmsgAtE, uK. bbs.erb.pw (21:1/158)
  • From Skylar@21:1/183 to AKAcastor on Thu Apr 18 05:24:22 2024
    By: AKAcastor to Skylar on Wed Apr 17 2024 08:09 pm

If you type faster you can fit a longer program on the tape!!

Ha! That never occurred to me. :)
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From tenser@21:1/101 to Skylar on Fri Apr 19 00:30:46 2024
    On 17 Apr 2024 at 06:40p, Skylar pondered and said...

I suspect folks at Intel already know they can fix it. They don't need
    me to tell them. :D

The joke was that there have been several very high-profile
    bugs in the ME; not due to Minix per se, but rather due to
    code that Intel wrote.

• From mary4@21:1/166 to Lynx769 on Thu Apr 18 23:19:07 2024

I loved Battle Chess and Scorched Earth both. I recently came across a retro DOS game archiving project called "eXoDos" and it had both of
    those in it. I loaded up Scorched Earth and actually got my kids to play
    a game with me. I was a lot of fun.

We played quite a bit of Scorched Earth duing CS3.

i should get this game and battle chess

That's seriously impressive and far beyond what I was able to
    accomplish, but then I've always been more interested in building the hardware than coding.

i can code too! i just dont have the time right now

That's a shame. Last year I came across my name on a wiki of OS/2 software. I completely forgot that I wrote a little random tagline generator and the program and the file of taglines were still available
    on an OS/2 archive site. I was able to download it and put it in my archive.

f
    i use climate controlled storage floppy are sensitive to heat
    It's true that anything you put on the Internet is forever.

true

... I don't have the time for a hobby. I have a computer.

• From Nightfox@21:1/137 to tenser on Thu Apr 18 09:51:36 2024
    By: tenser to Skylar on Fri Apr 19 2024 12:30 am

The joke was that there have been several very high-profile bugs in the ME; not due to Minix per se, but rather due to code that Intel wrote.

I worked at Intel for a little over 8 years. I was in a team working on security software, and one component of the first project I worked on with them used the Intel ME. It was interesting to learn about that stuff.. Later, the team worked on some software using Intel's SGX (Software Guard Extensions), which I heard also had some security flaws and was later discontinued.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From tenser@21:1/101 to Nightfox on Fri Apr 19 08:19:12 2024
    On 18 Apr 2024 at 09:51a, Nightfox pondered and said...

The joke was that there have been several very high-profile bugs in t ME; not due to Minix per se, but rather due to code that Intel wrote.

I worked at Intel for a little over 8 years. I was in a team working on security software, and one component of the first project I worked on
    with them used the Intel ME. It was interesting to learn about that stuff.. Later, the team worked on some software using Intel's SGX (Software Guard Extensions), which I heard also had some security flaws and was later discontinued.

The bug I was thinking of was rather pedestrian, and was in
    the built-in web server. It validated a user-supplied password
    against one that was stored somewhere (presumably flash or some
    kind of NVRAM). The code was basically,

if (strncmp(pass, userpass, strlen(userpass)) == 0) {
    return SUCCESS;
    } else {
    return FAILURE;
    }

The bug, of course, is constraining to the length of the user
    supplied password; the effect was that entering _no_ password
    automatically authenticated the password (empty strings always
    compare equal). The fix is to read the user password into a
    pre-zeroed buffer the same size as `pass` and then compare.

The issue with SGX was that it was easy to break out of the
    enclave. Whoops.

• From Digital Man@21:1/183 to Nightfox on Thu Apr 18 13:20:40 2024
    By: Nightfox to tenser on Thu Apr 18 2024 09:51 am

The joke was that there have been several very high-profile bugs in the ME; not due to Minix per se, but rather due to code that Intel wrote.

I worked at Intel for a little over 8 years. I was in a team working on security software, and one component of the first project I worked on with them used the Intel ME. It was interesting to learn about that stuff.. Later, the team worked on some software using Intel's SGX (Software Guard Extensions), which I heard also had some security flaws and was later discontinued.

I worked at Broadcom for 16 years and a large part of that time was in charge of the TruManage (Deuce is actually the one that came up with that name) project that competed with Intel AMT/vPro for embedded system management solutions (i.e. ASF, DASH, SMASH, IPMI/DCMI, etc.) for client systems and low-end servers. Intel was our biggest competitor and they were able to use system main memory and hide their die-cost in the rest of the chipset, so we were at a disadvantage on Intel platforms, but had virtually all the AMD platform marketshare for a long time. Intel also played dirty in the standards body (DMTF), using their position of power over their customers to win votes and vote-down enhancements to management standards they had abandoned. The Broadcom system management controller (AKA "BMC") was integrated into our network controllers (BCM57xxx) and was a very fun embedded supervisory system with a lot of power and control over the entire system.
    --
    digital man (rob)

This Is Spinal Tap quote #18:
    Sustain, listen to it. Don't hear anything. You would though were it playing. Norco, CA WX: 75.1øF, 31.0% humidity, 1 mph SSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to tenser on Thu Apr 18 14:58:41 2024
    By: tenser to Nightfox on Fri Apr 19 2024 08:19 am

The bug I was thinking of was rather pedestrian, and was in the built-in web server. It validated a user-supplied password against one that was stored somewhere (presumably flash or some kind of NVRAM). The code was basically,

if (strncmp(pass, userpass, strlen(userpass)) == 0) {
    return SUCCESS;
    } else {
    return FAILURE;
    }

The bug, of course, is constraining to the length of the user supplied password; the effect was that entering _no_ password automatically authenticated the password (empty strings always compare equal). The fix is to read the user password into a pre-zeroed buffer the same size as `pass` and then compare.

Whoops.. Honestly that might be a bug I might miss on first glance. Gotta be careful about that kind of thing sometimes and always be thinking of how the various library functions work and what could go wrong.

The issue with SGX was that it was easy to break out of the enclave. Whoops.

Doh!

On a side note, I know sales of movies & TV shows on blu-rays & such have dropped, and a lot of people aren't playing them on computers these days, but I always thought it was interesting how it was still possible to play blu-ray discs on a PC with certain restrictions - You had to use certain software and have your PC set up correctly with all the drivers working, etc. to enable the copy protection in software when playing optical discs. I was reading into what the requirements were to play 4K blu-ray discs on a PC, and I thought it was a bit crazy - Among other things, you had to be using an Intel PC because the software used SGX, and also using Intel's internal video in order for the copy protection to be fully enabled and allow playback from disc to work. The requirement for Intel internal video meant that if you're using a dedicated video card (Nvidia or AMD), then your PC wouldn't be able to play 4K blu-ray discs. AMD PCs were out of the question. Now that Intel's SGX is discontinued, 4K blu-ray disc playback on a PC just no longer works. Of course, you can still rip the discs on any PC using disc ripping software, and then play the ripped video files.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Digital Man on Thu Apr 18 15:00:38 2024
    By: Digital Man to Nightfox on Thu Apr 18 2024 01:20 pm

I worked at Broadcom for 16 years and a large part of that time was in charge of the TruManage (Deuce is actually the one that came up with that name) project that competed with Intel AMT/vPro for embedded system management solutions (i.e. ASF, DASH, SMASH, IPMI/DCMI, etc.) for client systems and low-end servers. Intel was our biggest competitor and they were able to use system main memory and hide their die-cost in the rest of the chipset, so we were at a disadvantage on Intel platforms, but had virtually all the AMD platform marketshare for a long time. Intel also played dirty in the standards body (DMTF), using their position of power over their customers to win votes and vote-down enhancements to management standards they had abandoned. The Broadcom system management controller (AKA "BMC") was integrated into our network controllers (BCM57xxx) and was a very fun embedded supervisory system with a lot of power and control over the entire system.

That's cool about Deuce coming up with that name. And I'm not really surprised about Intel trying to use their position to play dirty with the standards body.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From Skylar@21:1/183 to tenser on Thu Apr 18 18:14:21 2024

The joke was that there have been several very high-profile
    bugs in the ME; not due to Minix per se, but rather due to
    code that Intel wrote.

Ah... all news to me. I didn't even know Intel used Minix. ;)
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Nightfox on Fri Apr 19 06:31:00 2024
    Nightfox wrote to tenser <=-

On a side note, I know sales of movies & TV shows on blu-rays & such
    have dropped, and a lot of people aren't playing them on computers
    these days, but I always thought it was interesting how it was still possible to play blu-ray discs on a PC with certain restrictions

On a side-side note, my family has a cabin without internet access -
    it's up near Lake Tahoe, and we're out in the middle of nowhere.

We've been carting DVDs back and forth, leaving a few up there.

I found an LG Blu-Ray player at my local thrift store for $30.
    Interesting. Noted a USB port on the front. I'm listening...

Did some research at the store on my phone and found out it can play
    movies from a USB stick. The next time I'm going up there, I'm taking a
    half-terabyte of movies and TV shows with me...

If you don't have access to the internet, bring the internet with you.

... Where is the edge?
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
  • From Tiny@21:1/700 to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Sat Apr 20 07:12:00 2024
    Quoting Poindexter Fortran to Nightfox <=-

Did some research at the store on my phone and found out it can play movies from a USB stick. The next time I'm going up there, I'm taking
    a half-terabyte of movies and TV shows with me...

Take a smaller device just in case. Our DVD player with the USB port works great but I have to plug a stick in that's less then 40GB or it won't work.
    We use a 32gb stick and it works great.

If you don't have access to the internet, bring the internet with
    you.

Yes! ;)

Shawn

... Forgetfulness is a form of freedom.
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: _thePharcyde telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin) (21:1/700)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Tiny on Sat Apr 20 11:48:00 2024
    Tiny wrote to POINDEXTER FORTRAN <=-

Quoting Poindexter Fortran to Nightfox <=-

Did some research at the store on my phone and found out it can play movies from a USB stick. The next time I'm going up there, I'm taking
    a half-terabyte of movies and TV shows with me...

Take a smaller device just in case. Our DVD player with the USB port works great but I have to plug a stick in that's less then 40GB or it won't work. We use a 32gb stick and it works great.

I plugged in a 512gb USB stick and a 1TB HDD and both worked great!
    They need to be exfat or FAT32, no NTFS (so no movies over 4gb each)

... Onward, to meatspace!
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
  • From Tiny@21:1/700 to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Sun Apr 21 07:30:00 2024
    Quoting Poindexter Fortran to Tiny <=-

I plugged in a 512gb USB stick and a 1TB HDD and both worked great!
    They need to be exfat or FAT32, no NTFS (so no movies over 4gb each)

Nice! This one works good enough for the woods when we go, and Andrea
    still lugs DVD's back and forth for those rainy days or evening when the
    bugs are too bothersome to sit outside.

Shawn

... I'm going doooown! Has anyone seen my upper arrow?
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: _thePharcyde telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin) (21:1/700)
  • From Ed Vance@21:1/175 to apam on Tue Apr 23 14:55:42 2024
    K&R BASIC was an Educational Tool until the founders of Micro Soft gave it a (C) and TM and sought Licenses for their BASIC.

Ed
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (21:1/175)
  • From Bob Worm@21:1/205 to tenser on Thu May 2 18:13:09 2024
    By: tenser to Nightfox on Fri Apr 19 2024 08:19:12

Hi, tenser.

supplied password; the effect was that entering _no_ password
    automatically authenticated the password (empty strings always
    compare equal).

That's pretty shocking... a good proportion of people would find that by accident!

I'm not hugely surprised, though.

BobW
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: >>> Magnum BBS <<< - bbs.magnum.uk.net (21:1/205)
  • From tenser@21:1/101 to Bob Worm on Sat May 4 05:38:25 2024
    On 02 May 2024 at 06:13p, Bob Worm pondered and said...

That's pretty shocking... a good proportion of people would find that by accident!
    supplied password; the effect was that entering _no_ password automatically authenticated the password (empty strings always
    compare equal).

Yup, it wasn't great. :-D