• Floppy Disks are overrated but cool

From Utopian Galt@21:4/108 to All on Thu Apr 25 08:54:27 2024
    Even 25 years ago, I was scared crapless of my floppies failing. Many a BBS backup got corrupted.

--- WWIV 5.9.03741[Windows]
    * Origin: inland utopia * california * iutopia.duckdns.org:2023 (21:4/108)
  • From fusion@21:1/616 to Utopian Galt on Thu Apr 25 14:17:14 2024
    On 25 Apr 2024, Utopian Galt said the following...

Even 25 years ago, I was scared crapless of my floppies failing. Many a BBS backup got corrupted.

yeah.. nostalgia goggles are pretty strong..

i used to write a big x on them and use them as coasters until eventually
    junk cds took that role.

it was kind of nice for a while though when aol was basically giving away free disks.. carefully peel off the sticker and you could make a new label out of cut-up VHS tape labels hehe

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/25 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: cold fusion - cfbbs.net - grand rapids, mi (21:1/616)
  • From AKAcastor@21:1/162 to Utopian Galt on Thu Apr 25 11:30:56 2024
    Even 25 years ago, I was scared crapless of my floppies
    failing. Many a BBS backup got corrupted.

I haven't forgotten corrupted floppies either, though I think it's an example of "the more things change, the more they stay the same" in some ways - the modern replacement of floppy disks being USB flash storage. Flash storage is simultaneously one of the most useful products in tech and also one of the most cursed.

There's important tricks done by the flash controller (invisible to us), some may have better implementations than other controllers - these "tricks" exist to cover up the inherent unreliability of flash memory storage (specifically NAND memory which is the type used for mass storage). Data is shifted between blocks and a certain level of errors are expected (and correctible by the memory controller), but one too many errors and a block is lost. Write to the same block of flash memory too many times and it wears out - so flash storage implements wear leveling to reduce the creation of bad blocks. But that doesn't mean bad blocks don't happen, it just means they usually take longer to develop. Flash storage is a game of "errors will always occur, but we're pretty sure we can stay ahead of them with algorithms." (ECC error correcting codes are pretty incredible.)

I guess this is just my long-winded way of saying "USB flash disks are the modern equivalent of floppy disks, both in portability and in unreliability."

Though I gotta admit that USB flash disks tend to survive longer in a pocket than a floppy disk would. Once the little metal cover got bent and ripped off, it was all over.

Chris/akacastor

--- Maximus 3.01
    * Origin: Another Millennium - Canada - another.tel (21:1/162)
  • From Spectre@21:3/101 to Utopian Galt on Fri Apr 26 04:43:00 2024

They were great for sneakernet. I had the tape drive for backups though.

Spec

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    --- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: Good Luck and drive offensively! (21:3/101)
  • From Exodus@21:1/144 to Utopian Galt on Thu Apr 25 15:56:09 2024
    Even 25 years ago, I was scared crapless of my floppies failing. Many a BB backup got corrupted.

That's why I bought a cd burner when I first saw them ... best $600 I spent, and $20 to 5 discs.

... Rumour: NT means Not Tested

--- Renegade v1.35à/DOS
    * Origin: The Titantic BBS Telnet - ttb.rgbbs.info (21:1/144)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Exodus on Thu Apr 25 13:00:17 2024
    Re: Re: Floppy Disks are overrated but cool
    By: Exodus to Utopian Galt on Thu Apr 25 2024 03:56 pm

Even 25 years ago, I was scared crapless of my floppies failing. Many a
    BB
    backup got corrupted.

That's why I bought a cd burner when I first saw them ... best $600 I spent, and $20 to 5 discs.

I've always seen CD-Rs and floppy disks a bit differently, since a CD-R can only be burned once. I've only tried using a re-writeable CD (CD-RW) once, and the data started to became corrupt after only a month or two, so I never trusted CD-RWs again.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From Newtype Len@21:2/148 to Utopian Galt on Thu Apr 25 16:43:00 2024
    I left a floppy, at the time a hard disk, in the trunk of my moms car on a summer day. Had save game data on it I wanted to bring back from a friends house, lost it all. Never left anything electronic or related in a car ever again.

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    ---
    * Origin: Shurato's Heavenly Sphere telnet://shsbbs.net (21:2/148)
  • From Exodus@21:1/144 to Nightfox on Thu Apr 25 21:27:17 2024

I've always seen CD-Rs and floppy disks a bit differently, since a CD-R can only be burned once. I've only tried using a re-writeable CD (CD-RW) once, and the data started to became corrupt after only a month or two, so I neve trusted CD-RWs again.

I don't think I EVER used an -RW in cd or dvd ..... never trusted that.

... I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing.

--- Renegade v1.35à/DOS
    * Origin: The Titantic BBS Telnet - ttb.rgbbs.info (21:1/144)
  • From mary4@21:1/166 to fusion on Sat Apr 27 00:47:32 2024
    i used to write a big x on them and use them as coasters until eventually junk cds took that role.

i hated those cds they are a waste of plastic
    it was kind of nice for a while though when aol was basically giving
    away free disks.. carefully peel off the sticker and you could make a
    new label out of cut-up VHS tape labels hehe
    yeah i have some of those disks! :D

--mary4 (Victoria Crenshaw) the 286 enthusiast

... Redundant book title: DOS For Dummies

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Datanet BBS | telnet://datanetbbs.net:23 (21:1/166)
  • From AKAcastor@21:1/162 to Mary4 on Thu Apr 25 11:44:30 2024
    it was kind of nice for a while though when aol was basically giving
    away free disks.. carefully peel off the sticker and you could make a
    new label out of cut-up VHS tape labels hehe

yeah i have some of those disks! :D

Those are great to have in a collection - authentic re-used AOL floppy disks! Truly historic artifacts. :)

Chris/akacastor

--- Maximus 3.01
    * Origin: Another Millennium - Canada - another.tel (21:1/162)
  • From n2qfd@21:1/154 to AKAcastor on Mon Apr 29 07:01:11 2024
    Those are great to have in a collection - authentic re-used AOL floppy disks! Truly historic artifacts. :)

You laugh!

I had a guy at the office showing me a box of unused 3.5's and they were translucent colored plastic.... drool....
    I was trying to copy some material to an old diskette here and kept hitting bad disks. I would have loved to have my stash of re-purposed AOL I can remember thinking man I wish I could rewrite the CD's they sent too!
    I think I lost my IOmega drive this past year finally. I mean, it's not like I had a parallel port for it or any ZIP100's left around to use. That was almost as satisfying as slamming a cart into the player at the radio station.

--------------------------------
    ][ de N2QFD ][
    ][ Queen City BBS ][
    ][ queencitybbs.ddns.net:607 ][

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Queen City BBS (21:1/154)
  • From mary4@21:1/166 to n2qfd on Sat May 4 23:37:38 2024
    zip disks and drives are pretty cool. too bad it is propietary

--mary4 (Victoria Crenshaw) the 286 enthusiast

... It said "insert disk #3", but only two will fit...

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Datanet BBS | telnet://datanetbbs.net:23 (21:1/166)