• Re: Is 20 For Beers down?

From kirkspragg@21:2/150 to paulie420 on Tue Aug 20 22:20:15 2024
    I moved over the weekend - I think you and I even mentioned the move in
    a local msg base... :P I made announcements on 2oFB local messages, oneliners and fsxNet - sorry you missed em, but we're baaaaaack!

I'm sure I caught one or more of your announcements it just slipped my mind. Have been battling with my retro PC the last few weeks. Had got hold of a 386dx40 motherboard and ram to upgrade my 286 build with.. but it hasn't worked out so far. I have finally discovered that at lest one of the SIMM ram modules is bad, after being perplexed by much weird behavior and crashing!

... I am. Therefore, I think. I think.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbs>>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to kirkspragg on Wed Aug 21 18:45:51 2024
    Have been battling with my retro PC the last few weeks. Had got hold of a ki> 386dx40 motherboard and ram to upgrade my 286 build with.. but it hasn't ki> worked out so far. I have finally discovered that at lest one of the SIMM ki> ram modules is bad, after being perplexed by much weird behavior and ki> crashing!

I hate when I can't find the issue while working with vintage hardware. You know... people who have a HUGE collection of hardware on hand have it a bit easier - they can just go grab another stick of RAM and test it out; I always try to start with the bare minimum when refurbishing retro hardware.

Even tho the IIe has all those cool cards installed, I rip everything out and boot the motherboard first - then I'll start re-adding all the good stuff. Works for all makes and models; start basic and work up - that being said, bad memory is kinda a base level thing. :P

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbs>>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)