• Growing Up

From Utopian Galt@21:4/108 to All on Sun Aug 25 11:44:23 2024
    As someone who will be 45 in a week, I am thinking I am a bit too old for console video gaming these days. I might make
    a special initative to play final fantasy 4,5 and 6. Or finish Dragon Quest 11. Maybe instead of going to Europe or
    Washington DC next spring/summer, I'll do a cheap vacation where I play some video games for a whole three days or
    more.

--- WWIV 5.8.1.3688[Windows]
    * Origin: inland utopia * california * iutopia.duckdns.org:2023 (21:4/108)
  • From Roon@21:4/148 to Utopian Galt on Sun Aug 25 21:28:58 2024
    Hello Utopian,

25 Aug 24 11:44, you wrote to All:

As someone who will be 45 in a week, I am thinking I am a bit too old
    for console video gaming these days. I might make a special initative
    to play final fantasy 4,5 and 6. Or finish Dragon Quest 11. Maybe
    instead of going to Europe or Washington DC next spring/summer, I'll
    do a cheap vacation where I play some video games for a whole three
    days or more.

i'm with you! :)

Regards,
    --
    dp

telnet://bbs.roonsbbs.hu:1212 <<=-

... Uptime: 96d 11h 19m 41s (?! or 46d 18h 4m 28s)
    --- GoldED/2 1.1.4.7+EMX
    * Origin: Roon's BBS - Budapest, HUNGARY (21:4/148)
  • From n2qfd@21:1/154 to Utopian Galt on Sun Aug 25 17:10:05 2024
    Well...

As someone who will be 45 in a week, I am thinking I am a bit too old for console video gaming these days. I might make
    a special initative to play final fantasy 4,5 and 6. Or finish Dragon Quest 11. Maybe instead of going to Europe or
    Washington DC next spring/summer, I'll do a cheap vacation where I play some video games for a whole three days or
    more.

I turned 47 this year. I've thought more about my retirement than I used to and I'm finishing a job this week and starting a new in September with that in mind but vacations and video games...
    So, this year I took the 1st week in July off so I could do the 13 Colonies Special Event. I sat at my radio for a for 3 days till I managed to make contact with a station in each of the original 13 colonies and one in Philadelphia who was a bonus. Got a certificate for my efforts too!
    It's not so odd dedicating time to your hobbies, even when they aren't the mainstream.
    I'm not sure my wife would swap a trip to Europe against a big ham radio adventure but I would certainly try to sneak so radio in wherever we went!

Every time I see rick Steves on YouTube I remember when I was a student in Prague and toured England and I miss that. Every time I get groceries I'm also reminded of what people are like now 25 years later....

Here's one for you.. The wife was watching Northern Exposure, it was set in Alaska in the early 90's and was actually on TV 1990-1995. I was left after joining her for an episode thinking. What would it be like to be 47 in 1995? I could ask my parents but I'm not sure they'd have an answer, to what it would be like to be the now you back then.

I'm grateful for the revolution in communications. I used to catch a Rick Steves now and then on PBS and now I can call him up and just enjoy it whenever I want. But there was something to that era of having to actually know stuff, and the time it took to seek out and acquire information. Back when we used to rip pages out of our Fodors guides to swap with folks heading where you were coming from and vice versa.

A friend asked me, "would I rather go back and live over again knowing what I know or have $800,000...?" I said, "I'll make new mistakes, will that be cash or a check?"

N2QFD{Queen City BBS}:// "Does this need to be said? Does this need to be said by me? Does this need to be said by me right now?" - Craig Ferguson

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Queen City BBS (21:1/154)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Utopian Galt on Sun Aug 25 14:23:54 2024
    Re: Growing Up
    By: Utopian Galt to All on Sun Aug 25 2024 11:44 am

As someone who will be 45 in a week, I am thinking I am a bit too old for console video gaming these days. I might make a special initative to play final fantasy 4,5 and 6. Or finish Dragon Quest 11. Maybe instead of going to Europe or
    more.

Why too old for console video games? I'm 44 and I still like to play console video games sometimes. And in the past 10 years or so, I've set up several different ways to use emulators to play old console games. I modded my Nintendo Wii and installed some console emulators on it. I also have a handheld gaming system that runs emulators (currently a Retroflag GPi case with a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4). Also, a couple years ago, I bought a Nvidia Shield Pro for my TV, mainly for streaming, but there's a Retroarch app for it that can emulate multiple old game consoles.

I've always been more of a PC gamer though..

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From Utopian Galt@21:4/108 to N2qfd on Sun Aug 25 18:10:17 2024
    BY: n2qfd (21:1/154)

|11n|09> |10 Every time I see rick Steves on YouTube I remember when I was a|07
    |11n|09> |10student in Prague and toured England and I miss that. Every time I get|07
    |11n|09> |10groceries I'm also reminded of what people are like now 25 years|07 |11n|09> |10later.... |07
    I visited England twice in 2023 and 2024. I like the food, the weather, the atmosphere. Its my version of going to Hawaii or Disney World.

• From Rixter@21:1/242 to Utopian Galt on Mon Aug 26 01:15:01 2024

more.

Have fun with it! Whenever I get an urge to try something I do it immediately because I know we are not guaranteed a tomorrow and do not want to look back someday saying to myself, “I wish…”.
    --- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
    * Origin: Ricks BBS - ricksbbs.synchro.net (21:1/242)
  • From claw@21:1/210 to Utopian Galt on Mon Aug 26 07:47:23 2024
    On 25 Aug 2024, Utopian Galt said the following...
    more.

Can't beat a nice relaxing time with some good classics. Get a Retro Pi going and let the good times roll.

|23|04Dr|16|12Claw
    |16|14Sysop |12Noverdu |14BBS |20|15Radio|10@|14HTTP://Noverdu.com:88
    |16|10 Standard ports for SSH/Telnet |04 WEB|14@|12HTTP://noverdu.com:808 |20|15Global Chat, Global Messaging and Games! |16|10Ditch the Unsocial Media

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Noverdu BBS (21:1/210)
  • From J0hnny A1pha@21:4/158 to Nightfox on Mon Aug 26 15:17:39 2024
    BY: Nightfox (21:1/137)
    On Sunday,August 25, 2024 at 01:23 PM, Nightfox (21:1/137) wrote:

Re: Growing Up
    By: Utopian Galt to All on Sun Aug 25 2024 11:44 am

As someone who will be 45 in a week, I am thinking I am a bit too
    old for
    console video gaming these days. I might make a special initative
    to play
    final fantasy 4,5 and 6. Or finish Dragon Quest 11. Maybe instead
    of going
    to Europe or
    Washington DC next spring/summer, I'll do a cheap vacation where I
    play
    some video games for a whole three days or
    more.

Why too old for console video games? I'm 44 and I still like to play console video games sometimes. And in the past 10 years or so, I've set
    up several different ways to use emulators to play old console games. I modded my Nintendo Wii and installed some console emulators on it. I
    also have a handheld gaming system that runs emulators (currently a Retroflag GPi case with a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4). Also, a couple years ago, I bought a Nvidia Shield Pro for my TV, mainly for streaming,
    but there's a Retroarch app for it that can emulate multiple old game consoles.

Same. 53 years young, and still playing. Some console, some PC. My son is an avid player, and my daughter just shipped off the college to learn game design. I don't plan on stopping any time soon :)

.jA

--- WWIV 5.9.03742[Linux 6.8.0-39]
    * Origin: Space Junk! BBS (21:4/158)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to n2qfd on Mon Aug 26 08:13:00 2024
    n2qfd wrote to Utopian Galt <=-

Every time I see rick Steves on YouTube I remember when I was a
    student in Prague and toured England and I miss that. Every time I get groceries I'm also reminded of what people are like now 25 years
    later....

We've gone through some money troubles and issues with an ex- troubles,
    so didn't do a lot of traveling in the late teens - then COVID
    happened. Luckily, California has lots of places to travel relatively
    close by.

My son turned 18, so the ex-issues went away. We took the kids to Italy
    last year and my daughter to England this year, hoping to inspire them
    to want to travel. They both enjoyed themselves, I hope my son gets the
    urge to grab a backpack, get a cheap flight and a eurail pass.

--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Utopian Galt on Mon Aug 26 08:16:00 2024
    Utopian Galt wrote to N2qfd <=-

I visited England twice in 2023 and 2024. I like the food, the weather, the atmosphere. Its my version of going to Hawaii or Disney World.

We're planning on retiring there - This summert, we visited London,
    Bath, Portsmouth and looked at houses and villages in Hampshire. Next
    summer is Dorset and Somerset.

--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From n2qfd@21:1/154 to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Aug 31 14:40:17 2024
    to want to travel. They both enjoyed themselves, I hope my son gets the
    urge to grab a backpack, get a cheap flight and a eurail pass.

Good for you getting them out to see something else. I was always impressed at how many Aussies I ran into on the road. Forgive me for not remembering if you were a US Citizen or not.. It seems to me here in the US we're cultivating an insular, inward looking people that are afraid of the world and it makes for poor citizens internally we well as abroad.
    I jumped on a plane and went to Prague when I heard that I could actually afford school there. I knew a few pleasantries in Czech when I landed and the experience of being a functional illiterate in another land (not in a uniform carrying a gun) was an awakening to possibilities and potentials I never thought I had in me. On the flip side I was viewed with suspicion and derision by members of my own family upon returning. An uncle who was a DoD guy in Germany for decades gave me the advice that there will be things you want to share with them when you return and many won't want to hear it. They're happy, and just let them be. Not sure if you saw the Hobbit movies, and the scent when they make it back and are sitting in the Hobbit Tavern, (don't @ me about spoilers it's a 20 year old movie) it's a little like that if you come home to your sleepy part of where ever you live. Still I wouldn't trade that opportunity for the world.
    I hope both of them find the urge to travel and take that step towards a more world citizen outlook!

N2QFD{Queen City BBS}:// "Does this need to be said? Does this need to be said by me? Does this need to be said by me right now?" - Craig Ferguson

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Queen City BBS (21:1/154)
  • From CT7AQH@21:1/999 to n2qfd on Sat Aug 31 20:51:20 2024

Dear N2QFD,

Im very happy to receive ur message on my BBS witch is also linked to FSXNET.
    I think I may have something wrong configured because I almost never receive any message from the FSXNET groups. Luckely I received yours I dont know how.
    I will make an account on your BBS. Maybe we can test this better and you give me some tips on how to put this in to work.

Thank you very much! 73

CT7AQH

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: CT7AQH BBS (21:1/999)
  • From Gamgee@21:2/138 to CT7AQH on Sat Aug 31 15:46:00 2024
    CT7AQH wrote to n2qfd <=-

Dear N2QFD,

Im very happy to receive ur message on my BBS witch is also
    linked to FSXNET.
    I think I may have something wrong configured because I almost never receive any message from the FSXNET groups. Luckely I received
    yours I dont know how.
    I will make an account on your BBS. Maybe we can test this
    better and you give me some tips on how to put this in to work.

Thank you very much! 73

CT7AQH

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: CT7AQH BBS (21:1/999)

The reason you're not getting messages is that you don't have a proper
    node number. Look at your Origin line just above. The /999 is a
    temporary number used by nodes who are applying for a valid node number
    in fsxNet. You can't use that for any length of time.

Have you applied for, and received, a node number from your Hub?

... Gone crazy, be back later, please leave message.
    === MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (21:2/138)