• CW

From unixl0rd@21:2/150 to All on Sun Feb 5 13:16:25 2023
    I've been learning CW for about six months now, and I'm at the stage where I can comfortably send and receive at 10wpm. The next step for me would be to go live and make a QSO, but I have no rig besides my MFJ-557 practice key.

What would you recommend a beginner? Is it possible to set up an antenna inside my house?

P.S I got my ham licence

... Smoking - think of it as evolution in action.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbs>>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From toofargone@21:1/101 to unixl0rd on Sat Mar 25 12:39:44 2023
    I've been learning CW for about six months now, and I'm at the stage
    where I can comfortably send and receive at 10wpm. The next step for me would be to go live and make a QSO, but I have no rig besides my MFJ-557 practice key.

Well done, CW was impossible for me.

What would you recommend a beginner? Is it possible to set up an antenna inside my house?

Pretty much any radio can do CW. It all depends on your budget. I have the icom 7300 and it's a great radio but there are cheaper options out there. Get a radio that does everything that way when you advance in your hobby you won't be restricted by your radio!

I've heard great things about magnetic loop antennas, they are relatively small and can work indoors. You can put one on a tripod or other stand and put them outside if you like.

I know this is a bit late, but let us know how you get on :)

Cheers,
    toofar.

That is grade-A, 100% bull cookies!

... Real Programmers balance their checkbooks in hex

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From N2QFD@21:1/219 to unixl0rd on Tue Jan 23 08:50:43 2024
    I know I'm late to the party but I'm a pretty much only CW ham here.
    Hope that there's a good report and that you were able to find a rig and antenna that suited you. I was hoping to read a first QSO report here.

I started out with an FT-101EE that belonged to by father (N2NRA) but eventually grew into some otehr radios and even built a few transmitters along the way. The kit CW transmitters are not too hard to assemble, it's the recievers that get tricky.
    These days on the desk is my TenTec Rebel, Smaller than a cigar box and does 40/20m though I keep it on 40m. And I'm using a Z-100 Plus Tuner to an MFJ 40m Zepp. Can't beat a wire, however I can concur with comments on the Magloops. I have a friend in Vermont N2SZO who uses one pretty regularly.

Bst 73 and hpe it came together for you.
    de N2QFD//Mal AR SK ..

... "Heh, heh, 2400 baud connects suck!" -- V.bis & Baudhead

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/15 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: 73 from Radio Freqs & Geeks BBS - Albany, NY (21:1/219)