TitanMail, MagiTerm and Talisman all work now, but I don't have a
    developers subscription so can't codesign stuff - which means I can't
    really distribute binaries.

MagiTerm is the most problematic, as it uses the native apple keychain,
    it appears that codesigning is important to let it access the keychain -
    I've got it working on my computer, but the minute i try and put it in a
    DMG or something, for some reason it can no longer access the keychain
    and password saving doesn't work.

Anyway, that's what I've been up to the last couple of days. :)

Andrew

--- Talisman v0.53-dev (FreeBSD/amd64)
    * Origin: Smuggler's Cove - scove.talismanbbs.com:2323 (21:1/182)
  • From Utopian Galt@21:4/108 to Apam on Sat Mar 23 09:06:19 2024
    BY: apam (21:1/182)

|11a|09> |10TitanMail, MagiTerm and Talisman all work now, but I don't have a|07
    |11a|09> |10developers subscription so can't codesign stuff - which means I can't|07
    That is cool. I would love to possibly run wwivnet on a mac :)

--- WWIV 5.9.0.3695[Windows]
    * Origin: inland utopia * california * iutopia.duckdns.org:2023 (21:4/108)
  • From AKAcastor@21:1/162 to Apam on Sat Mar 23 10:52:32 2024
    TitanMail, MagiTerm and Talisman all work now, but I don't have a developers subscription so can't codesign stuff - which means I can't really distribute binaries.

I don't have much experience developing for macOS, but I am using an M2 Macbook and have built a few things from source (including MagiTerm!) (but I haven't signed anything either). I am willing to help test things if that's of any use.

Anyway, that's what I've been up to the last couple of days. :)

Speaking of MagiTerm, I have a question - is it possible to adjust the aspect ratio that MagiTerm displays in?

Chris/akacastor

--- Maximus 3.01
    * Origin: Another Millennium - Canada - another.tel (21:1/162)
  • From Andrew@21:1/162 to AKAcastor on Mon Mar 25 23:06:26 2024
    Speaking of MagiTerm, I have a question - is it possible
    to adjust the aspect ratio that MagiTerm displays in?

No, not presently. If you set it to full screen it will change aspect ratio
    to your screen size. But the standard and double size modes are hard coded.

I don't have much experience developing for macOS, but I
    am using an M2 Macbook and have built a few things from
    source (including MagiTerm!) (but I haven't signed
    anything either). I am willing to help test things if
    that's of any use.

I'll keep that in mind thankyou. Glad you got magiterm compiled - did you have any particular issues - I saw that the keychain code was all deprecated the other day and thought maybe that was why i was having issues with it, but after rewriting it all still had issues. I don't know for sure if it's because of codesigning, but it's the only thing I can think off.

Sorry it took me a while to write a reply.

Andrew

--- Maximus 3.01
  • From AKAcastor@21:1/162 to Andrew on Mon Mar 25 23:42:58 2024
    I'll keep that in mind thankyou. Glad you got magiterm
    compiled - did you have any particular issues - I saw
    that the keychain code was all deprecated the other day
    and thought maybe that was why i was having issues with
    it, but after rewriting it all still had issues. I don't
    know for sure if it's because of codesigning, but it's
    the only thing I can think off.

I didn't have any issues compiling MagiTerm, I cloned from gitlab, tried cmake, found I needed to brew install sdl2_image, tried cmake, found I needed to brew install libssh, cmake then make then was ready to connect to BBSes. :)

I have added a system to the dialing directory, but only telnet and I didn't enter a username or password - so the keychain access probably hasn't been needed? So far no issues with it.

Chris/akacastor

--- Maximus 3.01
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to apam on Wed Mar 27 09:43:04 2024
    On 23 Mar 2024 at 06:57p, apam pondered and said...

Hi

I recently bought a new (to me) imac and have been working on making my stuff work on macOS.

congrats :)

TitanMail, MagiTerm and Talisman all work now, but I don't have a developers subscription so can't codesign stuff - which means I can't really distribute binaries.

Thanks for keeping these projects ticking along as time/interest permits.

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going' avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From apam@21:1/182 to Avon on Wed Mar 27 07:48:00 2024
    On Wed Mar 27 09:43:00 2024, Avon wrote to apam <=-

I recently bought a new (to me) imac and have been working on making my stuff work on macOS.

congrats :)

Thanks :) it's a 2017 model so the latest mac OS it can run is ventura (13) the latest is currently 14.

still its a pretty big step up from my old imac which was a 2013 model.

Thanks for keeping these projects ticking along as time/interest permits.

:) i flit between things a lot. i might see about getting a mac developer blessing once i've paid off this stuff, but it's $149 (AUD) and for the number of people that use my stuff boiled down to the number of people that would potentially use it on a mac.. it just doesn't seem worth it.

It's a shame Apple don't have a special program for open source developers to codesign opensource software.

Andrew

=== TitanMail/darwin v1.2.4

• From Avon@21:1/101 to apam on Wed Mar 27 11:03:10 2024
    On 27 Mar 2024 at 07:48a, apam pondered and said...

Thanks :) it's a 2017 model so the latest mac OS it can run is ventura (13) the latest is currently 14.

I've never owned on, have an iPhone and iPad but not a iMac etc... there are people I work with (graphic designer folk) who love Apple products for their design work. The IT dept at work have a tough time getting their head around Apple gear as they are used to PC's and Windows :)

Thanks for keeping these projects ticking along as time/interest permit

:) i flit between things a lot. i might see about getting a mac developer blessing once i've paid off this stuff, but it's $149 (AUD) and for the number of people that use my stuff boiled down to the number of people that would potentially use it on a mac.. it just doesn't seem worth it.

yeps... I understand the flitting thing also.. I'm tinkering away with keeping the message network running but also at times have a focus off on family, work and other things. Seem to watch way to much YouTube at the moment... and currently watching a few episodes of Boston Legal... which I am enjoying and never really watched much when it came out.

Hope you're wee guy is going well and the risks of any summer fires are starting to recede.

It's cooling off here, may see some dusting of white stuff on the hills in the coming days here.

Best, Paul

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going' avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

• From apam@21:1/182 to Avon on Wed Mar 27 09:46:10 2024
    On 27 Mar 2024 at 07:48a, apam pondered and said...

I've never owned on, have an iPhone and iPad but not a iMac etc... there are people I work with (graphic designer folk) who love Apple products for their design work. The IT dept at work have a tough time getting their head around Apple gear as they are used to PC's and Windows :)

Yeah, I'm not an apple fanatic or anything, but I do find it to be a little bit nicer to use than Linux - only because it seems every linux distro has rough edges of some type. Stuff like scaling that works ok in wayland but not in X11, except wayland doesn't work well for me at all and I'm pretty much forced into X11. I can live with out it, but my eyes are not getting any better.

Thanks for keeping these projects ticking along as time/interest permit

:) i flit between things a lot. i might see about getting a mac developer
    blessing once i've paid off this stuff, but it's $149 (AUD) and for the number of people that use my stuff boiled down to the number of people that would potentially use it on a mac.. it just doesn't seem worth it.

yeps... I understand the flitting thing also.. I'm tinkering away with keeping the message network running but also at times have a focus off on family, work and other things. Seem to watch way to much YouTube at the moment... and currently watching a few episodes of Boston Legal... which I am enjoying and never really watched much when it came out.

Yep, I can't be full on to one thing all the time. It just leads to burn out (and pretty quickly). We're watching a lot of super simple songs on youtube :) it keeps the boy happy :)

Hope you're wee guy is going well and the risks of any summer fires are starting to recede.

Well, here it's been raining for about a week.. non stop, and still raining. Which is starting to get rather annoying - unable to dry clothes, but mostly reuben loves to go for walks outside and is getting a little antsy being stuck inside for so long. Plus we've all been sick, I'm on the tail end of it now, I think Reuben might be, but my wife is just starting to get sick.

It's cooling off here, may see some dusting of white stuff on the hills in the coming days here.

You still have the fireplace? So lugging wood? :)

Andrew

--- Noddy git-4716e54
  • From Utopian Galt@21:4/108 to Apam on Tue Mar 26 20:27:13 2024
    BY: apam (21:1/182)

|11a|09> |10:) i flit between things a lot. i might see about getting a mac|07 |11a|09> |10:) developer blessing once i've paid off this stuff, but it's $149 (AUD)|07
    |11a|09> |10:) and for the number of people that use my stuff boiled down to the|07
    |11a|09> |10:) number of people that would potentially use it on a mac.. it just|07
    |11a|09> |10:) doesn't seem worth it.|07
    Charge a nominal charge for Titanmail mac edition like 10 usd to help reimburse the code signing?

--- WWIV 5.9.0.3695[Windows]
    * Origin: inland utopia * california * iutopia.duckdns.org:2023 (21:4/108)
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to Andrew on Tue Mar 26 20:06:19 2024
    I'll keep that in mind thankyou. Glad you got magiterm compiled - did
    you have any particular issues - I saw that the keychain code was all deprecated the other day and thought maybe that was why i was having issues with it, but after rewriting it all still had issues. I don't
    know for sure if it's because of codesigning, but it's the only thing I can think off.

I just made a post giving icy_term some praise; I need to compile MagiTerm on this system, too - I've been having some pain points with my normal terminals and THiNK that I'm on the hunt for my next daily-driver... I'll get Magi installed for testing, too. :P

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

* Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbs>>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to apam on Tue Mar 26 20:49:54 2024
    I recently bought a new (to me) imac and have been working on maki stuff work on macOS.

So... I also have a 2017 iMac - mine is a 27" 5K version; great monitor. There ARE ways to run the newest MacOS, if yer interested. In fact I have a YT video about it and have been using the newest version for the last 2 months and the only issue I saw was the first several reboots were a tad slow, but its been running really nicely for about 3 months now. All the new Sonoma OS features w0rk just great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T82WETljhQ&t=4s

The software used is:

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/

I don't wanna vouch for it being *perfect*, as I don't know your exact hardware and setup - but for me it was worth it... there is detailed compatibility charts on the OpenCore website - and it looks like the 2017 will be supported for awhile - you can install Sonoma, in varying degrees of functionality, on macs down to 2013 models.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

• From apam@21:1/182 to paulie420 on Wed Mar 27 15:14:12 2024
    So... I also have a 2017 iMac - mine is a 27" 5K version; great
    monitor. There ARE ways to run the newest MacOS, if yer interested. In

Thanks for the info! I probably wont - at least not in the near future,
    but will keep it in mind if i change my mind later on :)

Andrew

• From deon@21:2/116 to apam on Wed Mar 27 16:15:59 2024
    Re: Re: Apple
    By: apam to Avon on Wed Mar 27 2024 07:48 am

Howdy,

It's a shame Apple don't have a special program for open source developers to codesign opensource software.

Do you need it?

I install open source software all the time, and yes the "first time" running it is special, but there after it works. I dont recall anything not working.

EG: icy_term - that's node code signed (I dont think - as I need to do run it differently the first time).

...лоеп
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: I'm playing with ANSI+videotex - wanna play too? (21:2/116)
  • From apam@21:1/182 to deon on Wed Mar 27 15:45:12 2024
    Do you need it?

Possibly not, but I think it's the source of my issues with getting
    access to passwords stored in keychain

I install open source software all the time, and yes the "first time" running it is special, but there after it works. I dont recall
    anything not working.

It might work with titan mail, but not sure about magiterm.

It runs ok, but the password saving / loading stops working - i noticed
    this first when i was running cmake to bundle the libraries, so I
    resigned them all with my "run locally" signature or whatever and it
    worked. I think CMake strips the executables or something there. Once I
    had worked that out, I tried putting it in a DMG, and it did the same
    thing.. I don't know what changed, but I kept getting restricted access
    error codes.

Andrew

• From deon@21:2/116 to apam on Wed Mar 27 20:40:46 2024
    Re: Re: Apple
    By: apam to deon on Wed Mar 27 2024 03:45 pm

Howdy,

It runs ok, but the password saving / loading stops working - i noticed
    this first when i was running cmake to bundle the libraries, so I
    resigned them all with my "run locally" signature or whatever and it
    worked. I think CMake strips the executables or something there. Once I
    had worked that out, I tried putting it in a DMG, and it did the same thing.. I don't know what changed, but I kept getting restricted access error codes.

Aah, I'm no apple developer, but that sounds right. I just did a quick google and it seems to be the case. (I think they are wanting to stop anybody downloading a malicous app that can dump the keychain...)

...лоеп
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: I'm playing with ANSI+videotex - wanna play too? (21:2/116)
  • From Avon@21:1/101 to apam on Thu Mar 28 10:37:41 2024
    On 27 Mar 2024 at 09:46a, apam pondered and said...

and I'm pretty much forced into X11. I can live with out it, but my eyes are not getting any better.

You and me both :)

Yep, I can't be full on to one thing all the time. It just leads to burn out (and pretty quickly). We're watching a lot of super simple songs on youtube :) it keeps the boy happy :)

I think we're similar there.. except my YouTube clips have moved on form Baby Shark :)

Well, here it's been raining for about a week.. non stop, and still raining. Which is starting to get rather annoying - unable to dry
    clothes, but mostly reuben loves to go for walks outside and is getting
    a little antsy being stuck inside for so long. Plus we've all been sick, I'm on the tail end of it now, I think Reuben might be, but my wife is just starting to get sick.

It's been mostly fine here but definitely cooling off now... started to burn fire wood again.

You still have the fireplace? So lugging wood? :)

Sigh, yep! :) Keeping warm motivates me to keep lugging hahahah

• From apam@21:1/182 to Avon on Thu Mar 28 10:55:27 2024
    It's been mostly fine here but definitely cooling off now... started
    to burn fire wood again.

It's stopped raining here! the sun is shining but it's still a bit windy
    and cold - but we can do laundary!!

Hehe.. sounds good. As long as you don't have to lug it too far. Ah to be sitting infront of a nice warm fire place with a hot drink and a good
    book.

Andrew

• From Avon@21:1/101 to apam on Thu Mar 28 14:18:04 2024
    On 28 Mar 2024 at 10:55a, apam pondered and said...

Hehe.. sounds good. As long as you don't have to lug it too far. Ah to be sitting infront of a nice warm fire place with a hot drink and a good book.

It's more like more YouTube clips about retro stuff, movies, monsters and more :)

• From paulie420@21:2/150 to apam on Wed Mar 27 17:34:16 2024
    Thanks for the info! I probably wont - at least not in the near future, but will keep it in mind if i change my mind later on :)

Np; I have a few other Apple products, so its nice to have all the newest features...

I continue to test, and performance is pretty nice - only drawback is the changes to bootloader; will always need OpenCoreBoot support.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o