• Mystic Password Prompt

From GEARBOX@21:1/105 to ALL on Sat Oct 19 10:19:05 2024
    Hello All,

I am able to login fine when using SEXPOTS for my modem, but I am trying to use a Lantronix SCS400 terminal server and an odd thing happens. Mystic prompts for a username, which I enter fine and hit enter. Then it prompts for a password, but for it to login I must type the first letter of the password twice! It is waiting to digest a keystroke and it won't print an asterisk until the second key press. I have tried everything I can think of from editing prompts to changing flow control. Everything else seems to work except the password prompt which will confuse callers. I know this is a long-shot but I hope someone has some advice. Thanks!

Scott

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Alien Signals BBS (21:1/105)
  • From apam@21:4/158.1 to GEARBOX on Sun Oct 20 09:12:25 2024
    Hello All,

I am able to login fine when using SEXPOTS for my modem, but I am trying to use a Lantronix SCS400 terminal server and an odd thing happens. Mystic prompts for a username, which I enter fine and hit enter. Then it prompts for a password, but for it to login I must type the first letter of the password twice! It is waiting to digest a keystroke and it won't print an asterisk until the second key press. I have tried everything I can think of from editing prompts to changing flow control. Everything else seems to work except the password prompt which will confuse callers. I know this is a long-shot but I hope someone has some advice. Thanks!

It sounds as though the bbs is expecting a second character to come in after the carriage return (telnet is supposed to use \r\n or in some cases \r\0) my guess is your terminal is only sending \r (carriage return) so mystic is waiting for the second character before taking the password.

I am not familiar with SEXPOTS, but maybe there is a way to convert '\r' to '\r\n'?

Andrew

--
    |09apam |08(|11Andrew Pamment|08)
    |15Starlight |07:: |15starlight.zapto.org|07

--- Noddy git-bdac038
    * Origin: Starlight :: starlight.zapto.org:2323 (21:4/158.1)
  • From GEARBOX@21:1/105 to apam on Sun Oct 20 06:55:45 2024

I am not familiar with SEXPOTS, but maybe there is a way to convert '\r' to '\r\n'?
    Andrew

Thanks Andrew, this does sound like it could be the root cause. SEXPOTS works fine, it is when I try and use the terminal server that I see the issue. I appreciate the suggestion, I'll take a look!

Scott

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Alien Signals BBS (21:1/105)