• Another fiasco...

From Shurato@21:2/148 to All on Tue Jul 9 02:29:00 2024
    Helldivers 2 looked like a lot of fun. I couldn't get past the training mission though with my skill level. Ended up getting a refund. I'm still hoping to find a game I can play with my poor reflexes due to decades of anti-psychotics. Plus, every game I play I get stuck at a point that makes
    the game unplayable... Oh well, if anyone knows of a highly accessible AAA title, I'd be willing to check it out.

--
    Shurato, Sysop Shurato's Heavenly Sphere (ssh, telnet, pop3, ftp,nntp,
    ,wss) (Ports 22,23,110,21,119,8080) (ssh login 'bbs' pass 'shsbbs').

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    ---
    * Origin: Shurato's Heavenly Sphere telnet://shsbbs.net (21:2/148)
  • From Boxoskulz@21:1/162 to Shurato on Wed Jul 10 14:49:20 2024
    the game unplayable... Oh well, if anyone knows of a highly accessible AAA title, I'd be willing to check it out.

--

Not sure if it's a AAA title but Project Zomboid has been my favorite lately. The combat is a little different and takes a little while to get used to. There's various settings you can change to make it easier/harder tho...

Aside from the zombies there's a giant crafting system and I discover more 'like real life' things every time I play.

I just play solo but you can play with people on various servers too.

Staying calm is quite effective.. and thinking ahead. Despite an apocalypse I find the game very relaxing.

-bxs

--- Maximus 3.01
    * Origin: Another Millennium - Canada - another.tel (21:1/162)
  • From Shurato@21:2/148 to Boxoskulz on Wed Jul 10 16:06:00 2024

* In a message originally to Shurato, Boxoskulz said:

the game unplayable... Oh well, if anyone knows of a highly
    accessible AAA
    title, I'd be willing to check it out.

--

Not sure if it's a AAA title but Project Zomboid has been my favorite lately. The combat is a little different and takes a little while to get used to. There's various settings you can change to make it easier/harder tho...

Aside from the zombies there's a giant crafting system and I discover more 'like real life' things every time I play.

I just play solo but you can play with people on various servers too.

Staying calm is quite effective.. and thinking ahead. Despite an
    apocalypse I find the game very relaxing.

Thanks, but doesn't sound easy enough for my abilities.

--- Maximus 3.01 * Origin: Another Millennium - Canada - another.tel (21:1/162)

--

---
  • From kirkspragg@21:2/150 to Shurato on Tue Sep 17 01:12:49 2024
    decades of anti-psychotics. Plus, every game I play I get stuck at a point that makes the game unplayable... Oh well, if anyone knows of a highly accessible AAA title, I'd be willing to check it out.

Sorry to hear that, hope we can find you something to you liking.

Have you tried fallout 3/4 or Fallout London? Their not that modern (fallout london is a recent total conversion/megamod for fallout 4) but might be modern enough? Fallout has a bullet time like combat system you can use to slow time and plan shots/attacks, having high perception. That might work for you.

HOWEVER Being Bthesda games, there is a certain level of jank & required community fixes you'll need to make these suggestions workable.

... What garlic is to salad, insanity is to art.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: 2o for beeRS>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From Shurato@21:2/148 to kirkspragg on Wed Sep 18 17:33:00 2024

decades of anti-psychotics. Plus, every game I play I get stuck at a point that makes the game unplayable... Oh well, if anyone knows of
    a
    highly accessible AAA title, I'd be willing to check it out.

Sorry to hear that, hope we can find you something to you liking.

Have you tried fallout 3/4 or Fallout London? Their not that modern (fallout london is a recent total conversion/megamod for fallout 4) but might be modern enough? Fallout has a bullet time like combat system you can use to slow time and plan shots/attacks, having high perception. That might work for you.

HOWEVER Being Bthesda games, there is a certain level of jank & required community fixes you'll need to make these suggestions workable.

No, I haven't. Sounds good. A friend is trying to get me into Borderlands
    2, but I haven't gotten past the intro yet. The last time I got to the first friendly bot, it rebooted my PC. I've upgraded from a 3060ti to a 4080S, so the graphics card is definitely capable... I'll get around to it again, it's just daunting when I get past the cutscenes (which aren't abortable) and then as soon as the game is playable, it reboots.

--

---
  • From Ganiman@21:3/174 to Shurato on Thu Sep 19 00:51:53 2024
    Oh well, if anyone knows of a highly accessible AAA title, I'd be willing Sh> to check it out.

What game genres do you like?

---
    Ganiman
    bbs.madetoraid.com:[2323/2222]

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Made to Raid BBS (21:3/174)
  • From kirkspragg@21:2/150 to Shurato on Wed Sep 18 23:39:44 2024
    No, I haven't. Sounds good. A friend is trying to get me into Borderlands 2, but I haven't gotten past the intro yet. The last time I

Never taken to the Boarderlands series of games, played a bit of borderlands 1 on easy as anything else seem to require better twitch reflexes than I have.

I didn't have any issues the The Outer Worlds though... its been a while but I seem to recall that you can usually sneak up on your targets from a nice safe distance & take them out without much difficulty. It has been a while since I played it though.

... Stamp out philately!

• From Shurato@21:2/148 to Ganiman on Thu Sep 19 11:39:00 2024

* In a message originally to Shurato, Ganiman said:

Oh well, if anyone knows of a highly accessible AAA title, I'd be to
    willing Sh> check it out.

What game genres do you like?

I haven't found anything I like yet.

--

---
  • From Shurato@21:2/148 to kirkspragg on Thu Sep 19 11:39:00 2024

* In a message originally to Shurato, kirkspragg said:

No, I haven't. Sounds good. A friend is trying to get me into Borderlands 2, but I haven't gotten past the intro yet. The last
    time I

Never taken to the Boarderlands series of games, played a bit of
    borderlands 1 on easy as anything else seem to require better twitch reflexes than I have.

Yeah, it's too hard for me.

I didn't have any issues the The Outer Worlds though... its been a while
    but I seem to recall that you can usually sneak up on your targets from a nice safe distance & take them out without much difficulty. It has been a while since I played it though.

I might look at that!

--

---
  • From Ganiman@21:3/174 to Shurato on Fri Sep 20 15:12:08 2024
    Sh> I haven't found anything I like yet.

Ok, I'll try to make a few suggestions that might not require reflexes like an FPS game would. So far I think I've seen Helldivers and Borderlands, both are FPS and will have a similar feel to your reflexes. I might also recommend trying more games that use a controller rather than keyboard and mouse. You might find it easier on your hands - I do anyway. I enjoy both Keyboard/Mouse games and Controller games, but getting old with tennis elbow, wrist and joint issues... I find controllers easier to use for longer periods of time.

If your games are crashing, dont use the pirated versions? (just kidding.. right?) But seriously, if you have stability problems playing games, especially very popular games, google around for solutions or check your own PC build for some issues. This kind of behavior, like Borderlands crashing when you talk to the first bot npc every time is not normal.

Check out the Final Fantasy XVI on Steam. It is an action-rpg. There is a free demo so you have nothing to lose. Its about as AAA as you can get. I very much enjoyed playing this on PS5. Its not as difficult as a Souls game and has a good story to it.

Try Final Fantasy XIV online. The free trial takes up through like 80% of the game. Nothing to lose but some hard drive space. Its an MMORPG, but you can play it at your own pace, no pressure. For me its a game I go back to when a new expansion comes out and then I'll quit for while until future content updates come. Their free trial is a pretty awesome value - you won't find that much free AAA content anywhere else I dont think.

Animal Well is a metroidvania style game. Lots of hidden things to find. Very retro feeling. Super fun. I highly recommend this game to anyone who might enjoy a good metroidvania.

Try Baldur's Gate 3. I haven't played it myself, but the series is almost legendary and it won game of the year last year if I recall.

Check out some Real Time Strategy games. It is not a genre I am very familiar with these days, but they might be a bit slower paced and a lot of fun.

Factorio. Some people were talking about it around here. Its another one I have not played, but I have a friend who streams it on Twitch often enough. If you like building and managing and that sort of thing, this would be a great match.

Another series I think is under appreciated is Octopath Traveler. The first and second game are excellent HD2D RPGs.

I hope some of these suggestions help you in your search. If you have comments about them plus or minus, maybe that can better help us help you in your search. There is something out there that will work for you, I'm sure of it.

---
    Ganiman

• From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Ganiman on Sat Sep 21 08:13:00 2024
    Ganiman wrote to Shurato <=-

Ok, I'll try to make a few suggestions that might not require reflexes like an FPS game would.

I've been playing along with the $20forbeers DOOM monthly online
    tourneys, and I have *no* idea how I kept up with that pace for hours
    when I was younger!

Smaller maps, deathmatches, known spawn points. The only strategy needed
    is RUN!

--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From kirkspragg@21:2/150 to Shurato on Sun Sep 22 17:04:18 2024
    I didn't have any issues the The Outer Worlds though... its been a whil but I seem to recall that you can usually sneak up on your targets from nice safe distance & take them out without much difficulty. It has been while since I played it though.

I might look at that!

Its been out for quite a while now, you should be able to pick it up quite cheep in a steam/gog sale.

... Our butts are just fine - Calvin

• From Shurato@21:2/148 to Ganiman on Thu Sep 26 15:23:00 2024
    I'd answered this, but my PC died before it went out, I think...

Ok, I'll try to make a few suggestions that might not require reflexes like an FPS game would. So far I think I've seen Helldivers and Borderlands, both are FPS and will have a similar feel to your reflexes. I might also recommend trying more games that use a controller rather than keyboard and mouse. You might find it easier on your hands - I do anyway. I enjoy both Keyboard/Mouse games and Controller games, but getting old with tennis elbow, wrist and joint issues... I find controllers easier to use for longer periods of time.

Borderlands 2 and Helldrivers 2 are both issues for me. They look great, but
    I can't get past the intro....

If your games are crashing, dont use the pirated versions? (just kidding.. right?) But seriously, if you have stability problems playing games, especially very popular games, google around for solutions or check your own PC build for some issues. This kind of behavior, like Borderlands crashing when you talk to the first bot npc every time is not normal.

Sorry, only happened once and I had just switched to 4k. Probably a video driver issue. hasn't happened since, but I can't get past the first wave of enemies without running out of ammo...

Check out the Final Fantasy XVI on Steam. It is an action-rpg. There is a free demo so you have nothing to lose. Its about as AAA as you can get. I very much enjoyed playing this on PS5. Its not as difficult as a Souls game and has a good story to it.

I have the demo. I haven't played it yet.

Try Final Fantasy XIV online. The free trial takes up through like 80% of the game. Nothing to lose but some hard drive space. Its an MMORPG, but you can play it at your own pace, no pressure. For me its a game I go back to when a new expansion comes out and then I'll quit for while until future content updates come. Their free trial is a pretty awesome value - you won't find that much free AAA content anywhere else I dont think.

This definitely sounds fun, except for the fact that it's open world... That really turns me off FAST, I never know what to do to progress the story...

Animal Well is a metroidvania style game. Lots of hidden things to find. Very retro feeling. Super fun. I highly recommend this game to anyone who might enjoy a good metroidvania.

Sounds arcady and fun. I tried Golden Axed and loved it, but it's a
    prototype and only one level. And cancelled.

Try Baldur's Gate 3. I haven't played it myself, but the series is almost legendary and it won game of the year last year if I recall.

This has been recommended to me. I'm just concerned it would be too open
    world for me.

Check out some Real Time Strategy games. It is not a genre I am very familiar with these days, but they might be a bit slower paced and a lot of fun.

Nope, definitely not my type of game. I don't want to have to think if I'm having fun.

Factorio. Some people were talking about it around here. Its another one I have not played, but I have a friend who streams it on Twitch often enough. If you like building and managing and that sort of thing, this would be a great match.

Again, too open world for me. I'd not have a clue what to do, and without objectives, I don't want to play a game.

Another series I think is under appreciated is Octopath Traveler. The first and second game are excellent HD2D RPGs.

Ok, might want to look into that. JRPG, or what kind of RPG?

I hope some of these suggestions help you in your search. If you have comments about them plus or minus, maybe that can better help us help you in your search. There is something out there that will work for you, I'm sure of it.

Thanks Ganiman!

--

---
  • From Ganiman@21:3/174 to Shurato on Thu Oct 3 00:07:35 2024
    I have the demo. I haven't played it yet.

Try it :D

This definitely sounds fun, except for the fact that it's open world... That really turns me off FAST, I never know what to do to progress the story...

Final Fantasy XIV is a large world with lots to see and do, but the main scenario is very easy to follow and that is all you really need to focus on. It is well paced, and if it you stick to it you will get the gear you need to keep up from the main scenario (MSQ) rewards. The is always a marker pointing
    you where you need to go. You can play the game solo at your own pace, or team up with people. Don't be intimidated by its open world, just pick a starting job and stick to the main scenario and you might enjoy it. Its a very low pressure game and there are always new people doing the earlier content and people in towns keeping it lively.

Good luck!

---
    Ganiman

• From Utopian Galt@21:4/108 to Ganiman on Wed Oct 2 21:38:43 2024
    BY: Ganiman (21:3/174)

|11G|09> |10Final Fantasy XIV is a large world with lots to see and do, but the main|07
    |11G|09> |10scenario is very easy to follow and that is all you really need to focus|07
    |11G|09> |10on. It is well paced, and if it you stick to it you will get the gear|07
    |11G|09> |10you need to keep up from the main scenario (MSQ) rewards. The is always|07
    |11G|09> |10a marker pointing|07
    Im starting to hate 7.x. Im ready to maybe stop playing after the 7.1 patch.
    I have most of my jobs and stuff at 90+.

--- WWIV 5.8.1.3688[Windows]
    * Origin: inland utopia * california * iutopia.duckdns.org:2023 (21:4/108)
  • From Reverend Shaft@21:4/111 to Shurato on Thu Sep 19 19:14:52 2024
    Plus, every game I play I get stuck at a point that makes the game unplayable... Oh well, if anyone knows a highly accessible AAA title,
    I'd be willing to check it out.

It's a little of the mark for some of the titles here, but I've been REALLY loving Hades. It's a rogue-lite hack and slash, with really good character voice-overs and a compelling storyline that goes on forever. I've been playing it at least once a week for the past 3 or 4 months.

I suck at combat games, and I'm colorblind, but neither of those seem to be an issue.

It also has an _incredible_ soundtrack. Just an overall well done game.

RS

... "Road work ahead" ... I sure hope it does!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: The Arena BBS ú netasylum.com:2323 (21:4/111)
  • From Shurato@21:2/148 to Reverend Shaft on Sun Oct 6 20:32:00 2024

Plus, every game I play I get stuck at a point that makes the game unplayable... Oh well, if anyone knows a highly accessible AAA
    title,

It's a little of the mark for some of the titles here, but I've been REALLY loving Hades. It's a rogue-lite hack and slash, with really good character voice-overs and a compelling storyline that goes on forever. I've been playing it at least once a week for the past 3 or 4 months.

I tried Hades. I died too often for my comfort (I want a game I can progress in regularly), so I got a refund.

I suck at combat games, and I'm colorblind, but neither of those seem to be an issue.

RS

... "Road work ahead" ... I sure hope it does!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Windows/32) * Origin: The Arena BBS ú netasylum.com:2323 (21:4/111)

--

---
  • From Shurato@21:2/148 to Reverend Shaft on Fri Oct 11 12:59:00 2024

Plus, every game I play I get stuck at a point that makes the game unplayable... Oh well, if anyone knows a highly accessible AAA
    title,

I said I'd tried Hades; I was wrong. I'd played Hades 2 and it was too hard for me.

--

---
  • From maskreet@21:1/114 to Shurato on Sat Oct 12 00:22:33 2024
    On 11 Oct 2024, Shurato said the following...

Plus, every game I play I get stuck at a point that makes the gam unplayable... Oh well, if anyone knows a highly accessible AAA
    title,

It's a little of the mark for some of the titles here, but I've been REALLY loving Hades. It's a rogue-lite hack and slash, with really go character voice-overs and a compelling storyline that goes on forever I've been playing it at least once a week for the past 3 or 4 months.

I suck at combat games, and I'm colorblind, but neither of those seem be an issue.

It also has an _incredible_ soundtrack. Just an overall well done gam

I said I'd tried Hades; I was wrong. I'd played Hades 2 and it was too hard for me.

I love both. I can't wait for them to release an update for Hades II so I can keep going. It was actually a little *too* easy compared to Hades. Pretty much rocked everything I could, so yeah, just waiting for the content update at this point.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2024/05/12 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: throwbackbbs.com -\- meriden, ct -\- (21:1/114)
  • From Reverend Shaft@21:4/111 to Shurato on Sat Oct 12 01:51:30 2024

I haven't tried Hades 2 yet. I saw the preview trailers, and wasn't overly impressed. (Though I really do want to give it it's fair shot.)

I really love Hades. I can mash buttons and make it 10% further each time I try a run. It's frustrating as hell -- if you'll pardon the pun -- but the storyline and humor keeps me coming back for more.

It's earned a spot in my top 100 of all time. (I play a LOT of games.) LOL

RS

... My life's an open book, but it's poorly written and I die in the end.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: The Arena BBS ú netasylum.com:2323 (21:4/111)
  • From Shurato@21:2/148 to Reverend Shaft on Sat Oct 12 07:36:00 2024

I said I'd tried Hades; I was wrong. I'd played Hades 2 and it was
    too
    hard for me.

I haven't tried Hades 2 yet. I saw the preview trailers, and wasn't overly impressed. (Though I really do want to give it it's fair shot.)

I really love Hades. I can mash buttons and make it 10% further each time I try a run. It's frustrating as hell -- if you'll pardon the pun -- but the storyline and humor keeps me coming back for more.

Ok, I found it for $12.50 on the MS Store, so I grabbed it.

--

---