• Linux gaming on low end PC's?

From Ariadne@21:1/172 to All on Sun Oct 6 18:11:56 2024
    Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has experience on gaming with a low end "potato" pc. I'm running Linux Mint, and I already have Steam installed (Which means I can use proton experimental to play a lot of games). The problem: I don't have a graphics card. Just the integrated i5 chip that comes with this workhorse. I've thought about playing Old School Runescape, but I wanted to know if this could handle something else? Any suggestions? I like MMOs, but i'm willing to try new things too.

Cheers!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The Bottomless Abyss BBS * bbs.bottomlessabyss.net (21:1/172)
  • From claw@21:1/210 to Ariadne on Sun Oct 6 21:35:29 2024
    On 06 Oct 2024, Ariadne said the following...
    Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has experience on gaming with a low end "potato" pc. I'm running Linux Mint, and I already have Steam installed (Which means I can use proton experimental to play a lot of games). The problem: I don't have a graphics card. Just the integrated
    i5 chip that comes with this workhorse. I've thought about playing Old School Runescape, but I wanted to know if this could handle something else? Any suggestions? I like MMOs, but i'm willing to try new things
    too.

Cheers!

I only play on linux. You should be able to do quite a bit. Many indy games are 2D so all of those would play on your system. Also all the JackBox games are good make your laptop the life of the party.

|23|04Dr|16|12Claw
    |16|14Sysop |12Noverdu |14BBS |20|15Radio|10@|14HTTP://Noverdu.com:88
    |16|10 Standard ports for SSH/Telnet |04 WEB|14@|12HTTP://noverdu.com:808 |20|15Global Chat, Global Messaging and Games! |16|10Ditch the Unsocial Media

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Noverdu BBS (21:1/210)
  • From Arelor@21:2/138 to Ariadne on Mon Oct 7 16:07:05 2024
    Re: Linux gaming on low end PC's?
    By: Ariadne to All on Sun Oct 06 2024 06:11 pm

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has experience on gaming with a low end "potato" pc. I'm running Linux Mint, and I already have Steam installed (Which means I can use proton experimental to play a lot of games). The problem: I don't have a graphics card. Just the integrated i5 chip that comes with this workhorse. I've thought about playing Old School Runescape, but I wanted to know if this could handle something else? Any suggestions? I like MMOs, but i'm willing to try new things too.

The list of requisites for the game suggest you could run it on a toaster:

https://oldschool.runescape.wiki/w/Game_Requirements

That said, if you want to play a serious game at any point, you are going to benefit from a dedicated GPU. You can make do with integrated graphics sometimes by lowering the quality of the game's graphics but that is fine only for testing the game of having some casual fun.

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (21:2/138)
  • From kirkspragg@21:2/150 to Ariadne on Tue Oct 15 18:47:15 2024
    games). The problem: I don't have a graphics card. Just the integrated
    i5 chip that comes with this workhorse. I've thought about playing Old School Runescape, but I wanted to know if this could handle something else? Any suggestions? I like MMOs, but i'm willing to try new things
    too.

How about trying some old titles like some of the early civilization games? These days Civ 3 & 4 will run on a potato... Civ 4 is still really popular and has an active modding community (go take a look at civfanatics.com) and should work in wine at least winedb says they should.

You can get then pretty cheap from gog as well.

You could also look at running old DOS games in dosbox or dosbox-x in linux. That will give you plenty to choose from......

... CanYouComeHereAndFixMySpaceBarKey?ThankYou!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2024/05/29 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: 2o for beeRS>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)