• Chickens?

From The Godfather@21:3/165 to All on Sun Apr 9 22:05:37 2023
    This is a tech community, and I'm about to post to see if anyone on here owns chickens ... yeesh .. here goes ..

My dad gave me 2 chickens unexpectedly in October, and we ended up buying 3 more at the end of February. They are finally fully feathered and the weather is now above freezing in the mornings. I want to "integrate" them with two rather "broody" (did I spell that right?) hens acting like crazy pterodactyls every time we look for eggs. I'm not quite sure how to introduce them in such a way that these young ones don't end up hurt or worse. IF one has chickens, or has raised / owned them in the past I'd love to know how you integrated them.

YES I've searched it online. IF I did that everytime I'd have no reason to post on here. For those know, youtube and the likes are full of crazy chicken owners that go to great lengths to create lengthy videos while also go overboard on every little thing they do for their "girls."

Anyway, would love common sense simple solutions maybe one level crazy chicken owner up from "throw them in the coup and let God sort it out."

|15-|12t|04G
    |15www|08.|15theun|07dergrou|08nd|07.|08us|15:|0810023

... Hard work never killed anyone but why take a risk?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/03/14 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: www.theunderground.us Telnet 10023 SSH 7771 (21:3/165)
  • From Arelor@21:2/138 to The Godfather on Tue Apr 11 08:56:55 2023
    Re: Chickens?
    By: The Godfather to All on Sun Apr 09 2023 10:05 pm

This is a tech community, and I'm about to post to see if anyone on here own

My dad gave me 2 chickens unexpectedly in October, and we ended up buying 3 pell that right?) hens acting like crazy pterodactyls every time we look for ove to know how you integrated them.

YES I've searched it online. IF I did that everytime I'd have no reason to ng they do for their "girls."

Anyway, would love common sense simple solutions maybe one level crazy chick

|15-|12t|04G

... Hard work never killed anyone but why take a risk?

The way you do it with horses is that you take a horse out of the established herd and pair her with the newcomer, so they get used to each other and become friends. WHhen you put the two of them together with the rest of the herd, the newcomer will have a friend in it already, which makes it easier for her to integrate.

Bonus points if the horse you choose as a companion for the new one is an alpha big strong one. She won't tolerate abuse against her newfriend by the others.

I can't say my chicken collection is huge and I have never introduced outsider chickens since I set the coop with its initial population. Most hens I deal with are very peaceful but I am aware some people's are killing machines. I would think that if your hen yard is big enough you won't have much trouble because the newcoming hens won't have to compete for space.

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (21:2/138)
  • From Arelor@21:2/138 to The Godfather on Tue Apr 11 09:03:37 2023
    Re: Chickens?
    By: The Godfather to All on Sun Apr 09 2023 10:05 pm

This is a tech community, and I'm about to post to see if anyone on here own

By the way, some advice I have seen posted around is to place the new chickens in a separate coop just besides the new coop so both flocks can get used to each other's presence, so when you eventually join them they will be somehow familiar with each other.

Source: https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/how-to-introduce-new-chickens-to-yo ur-existing-flock/

--
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From The Godfather@21:3/165 to Arelor on Tue Apr 11 11:51:07 2023
    By the way, some advice I have seen posted around is to place the new chickens in a separate coop just besides the new coop so both flocks can get used to each other's presence, so when you eventually join them they will be somehow familiar with each other.

Thank you! That is exactly what I just did. Right now the new hens are small enough that I was able to dedicate a small run to a temporary coop to keep them in. Good thing too as one of the larger hens is a pecking machine and guarding her coop rather angrily at the moment. HOPEFULLY I don't need a larger coop or run as we are in the suburbs, and while ok to have a few chickens, I don't want to rock the board with my neighbors by installing something of an eye sore for them.

Sounds like you have a lot of land! I have been pressing my wife to move to the country more as of late. IF we do, I plan to have more then just chickens. For now the free eggs are great!

|15-|12t|04G

... They say there's always one weirdo on the bus, but I couldn't find them!

• From Arelor@21:2/138 to The Godfather on Tue Apr 11 17:24:07 2023
    Re: Re: Chickens?
    By: The Godfather to Arelor on Tue Apr 11 2023 11:51 am

By the way, some advice I have seen posted around is to pl
    chickens in a separate coop just besides the new coop so b
    get used to each other's presence, so when you eventually
    will be somehow familiar with each other.

Thank you! That is exactly what I just did. Right now the new
    angrily at the moment. HOPEFULLY I don't need a larger coop or

Sounds like you have a lot of land! I have been pressing my wi

|15-|12t|04G

... They say there's always one weirdo on the bus, but I couldn

* Origin: www.theunderground.us Telnet 10023 SSH 7771 (21:3/16

Glad to hear you are doing fine with the hens so far.

I don't have that much land. I just live far enough from people
    that nobody cares if I have horses and dogs and hens and whatnot.

--
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From The Godfather@21:3/165 to Arelor on Tue Apr 11 19:49:03 2023
    Thank you! That is exactly what I just did. Right now the new
    angrily at the moment. HOPEFULLY I don't need a larger coop or
    Sounds like you have a lot of land! I have been pressing my wi

It's nice having neighbors that don't care too and are just cool. We live in an older HOA where the bylaws haven't been updated since 1989 when the community was built, and they can never get enough homeowners to show up and vote to update them. We are pretty much in agreement that we want reasonable control over what we can do with our properties such as no bright pink houses, no trash piled up along the road, common sense stuff .. other then that we want left alone and without fines :)

The hens did good today, however the way the two older ones are behaving it might be a few weeks before they share the run. While they are calm, they are guarding their territory with persistence still. We set up a smaller temporary coop to keep them in overnight to help protect them from raccoons and keep them protected from the wind. While it's been in the low 70's the past few days, it's been in the low 40's overnight.

I'm not sure I'd handle the responsibility of the horses, but would like a few cows in frequent rotation for sure. For now, chickens and gardens is my limitation :/

|15-|12t|04G

... I don't have the time for a hobby. I have a computer.