• Wordstar 7.0 Archive

From Ben Collver@21:2/101 to All on Thu Aug 1 14:33:42 2024
    My name is Robert J. Sawyer. I'm a Hugo and Nebula Award-winning Canadian science-fiction writer. All twenty-five of my novels were written with WordStar, the best word-processing program the world has ever known.

<https://sfwriter.com/wordstar.htm>

WordStar was first introduced in 1978 and the final release--WordStar for
    DOS 7.0 Rev. D--came out in December 1992. The program has never been
    updated since, and the company that made it has been defunct for decades;
    the program is abandonware.

But I still use it, and George R.R. Martin uses an earlier version. There
    has never--until now--been a complete online archive of the final version
    of the program along with all its manuals. Here it is:

Click to download the complete WordStar 7.0 archive

<https://sfwriter.com/sawyer-wordstar-7-archive.zip>

I spent weeks putting all this together. The archive contains not just the WordStar program but also extensive resources on how to use it, in addition
    to fully text-searchable PDFs of the original manuals, totaling over 1,000 pages, scanned from my own copies.

Since MS-DOS programs, such as WordStar, can't run under modern operating systems without using an MS-DOS emulator, I've provided two complete plug-and-play packages for running WordStar under Windows, one using
    DOSBox-X, an emulator that's still actively developed and maintained, and another using vDosPlus, which still works wonderfully but is no longer maintained.

--- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com (21:2/101)
  • From k9zw@21:1/224 to Ben Collver on Thu Aug 1 15:05:18 2024
    On 01 Aug 2024, Ben Collver said the following...

My name is Robert J. Sawyer. I'm a Hugo and Nebula Award-winning Canadian science-fiction writer. All twenty-five of my novels were written with WordStar, the best word-processing program the world has ever known.

Thank you for posting this.

Wordstar (and to a lesser extent WordPerfect) were important in my early writings.

--- Steve K9ZW via SPOT BBS

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/15 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: SPOT BBS / k9zw (21:1/224)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Ben Collver on Thu Aug 1 13:11:57 2024
    Re: Wordstar 7.0 Archive
    By: Ben Collver to All on Thu Aug 01 2024 02:33 pm

WordStar was first introduced in 1978 and the final release--WordStar for DO 7.0 Rev. D--came out in December 1992. The program has never been updated since, and the company that made it has been defunct for decades; the progra is abandonware.

Nice - I use DOS/Windows console text editors like VDE, Qedit and TSE - at the heart of them is the same Ctrl-K command set that Wordstar used.

There's a lot to be said for undistracted writing - open up a full screen DOS window and Just Start Typing. You've got no Wikipedia rabbit holes to go down, no web to browse when you're stuck for an idea, and no email to distract.

I keep an old Thinkpad X60 for just such opportunities.
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Win32
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From Arelor@21:2/138 to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Aug 2 07:18:01 2024
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Ben Collver on Thu Aug 01 2024 01:11 pm

There's a lot to be said for undistracted writing - open up a full screen DOS window and Just Start Typing. You've got no Wikipedia rabbit holes to go down, no web to browse when you're stuck for an idea, and no email to distract.

I use Wordgrinder because it is a simple console word processor without clutter going on, but more often than not I have to keep other resources opened when writing.

It is hard to write documentation without having related reference manuals to check every now and then, for example.

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (21:2/138)
  • From halian@21:2/132 to Ben Collver on Sun Aug 4 20:16:32 2024

WordStar was first introduced in 1978 and the final release--WordStar for DOS 7.0 Rev. D--came out in December 1992. The program has never been updated since, and the company that made it has been defunct for decades; the program is abandonware.

But I still use it, and George R.R. Martin uses an earlier version. There has never--until now--been a complete online archive of the final version of the program along with all its manuals. Here it is:

Click to download the complete WordStar 7.0 archive

<https://sfwriter.com/sawyer-wordstar-7-archive.zip>

I spent weeks putting all this together. The archive contains not just the WordStar program but also extensive resources on how to use it, in additio to fully text-searchable PDFs of the original manuals, totaling over 1,000 pages, scanned from my own copies.

Since MS-DOS programs, such as WordStar, can't run under modern operating systems without using an MS-DOS emulator, I've provided two complete plug-and-play packages for running WordStar under Windows, one using DOSBox-X, an emulator that's still actively developed and maintained, and another using vDosPlus, which still works wonderfully but is no longer maintained.

I regret that, having been but an egg cell when WordStar ceased development, I've never given it a try, but I can still respect the allure of distraction-free and command-line word processors; when my family first moved to Florida, my mom took up a job doing medical transcription, which initially involved WordPerfect 5.0 and (the part I don't miss) a dot-matrix printer.

I appreciate the effort that you've put into making just-add-water packages for WordStar, and will give it a try sometime in the near future... ADHD permitting. :D Doubly so because I tend to fall down umpteen rabbit holes while researching things for my worldbuilding.

-̹ƒlian

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2024/05/29 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Archaic Binary (21:2/132)
  • From Bob Worm@21:1/205 to Ben Collver on Mon Aug 5 08:49:06 2024
    By: Ben Collver to All on Thu Aug 01 2024 14:33:42

Hi, Robert.

I spent weeks putting all this together. The archive contains not just the WordStar program but also extensive resources on how to use it, in addition to fully text-searchable PDFs of the original manuals, totaling over 1,000 pages, scanned from my own copies.

Thanks for your dedication - it's a couple of dozen people like you that really make the difference in this hobby.

I've never tried Wordstar, my earliest word processor was WordPerfect (5.1?), but thanks to your efforts I will give it a go.

Cheers,

BobW
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: >>> Magnum BBS <<< - bbs.magnum.uk.net (21:1/205)