• Re: C-64 via Vice and NovaTerm

From Reverend Shaft@21:4/111 to Reverend Shaft on Wed Sep 25 05:52:55 2024
    I recently dusted off some old C-64 stuff, and wanted to get Vice set up so I could run NovaTerm. Has anyone done it? I've been googling around, and am not quite finding the config that I need to make it work.

Talking to myself here, but I did figure it out. I was on the right track with the TCPSER utility, but didn't quite have the right setup.

For anyone else running through this, I stumbled onto a video that included the correct command line options:

tcpser.exe -s 38400 -v 25232 -p 6400 -i "q0e1v1h0x4s0=0&D2&C1&K3" -l4 -tsS -I

Then had to make sure Peripheral Devices -> RS232 was set up correctly. I have ACIA enabled, pointing to Serial 4, with emulation mode set to SwiftLink.

In the bottom section of serial settings, serial 4 is set to 127.0.0.1:25232, 38400 baud, with the IP232 box checked.

I know it's a fringe use case, but there it is in case anyone else needs it (or if I need to refer to it later).

RS

... "Road work ahead" ... I sure hope it does!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: The Arena BBS ú netasylum.com:2323 (21:4/111)
  • From Bucko@21:4/131 to Reverend Shaft on Sun Oct 6 00:06:22 2024
    On 25 Sep 2024, Reverend Shaft said the following...

Talking to myself here, but I did figure it out. I was on the right
    track with the TCPSER utility, but didn't quite have the right setup.

For anyone else running through this, I stumbled onto a video that included the correct command line options:

tcpser.exe -s 38400 -v 25232 -p 6400 -i "q0e1v1h0x4s0=0&D2&C1&K3" -l4
    -tsS -I

Then had to make sure Peripheral Devices -> RS232 was set up correctly.
    I have ACIA enabled, pointing to Serial 4, with emulation mode set to SwiftLink.

In the bottom section of serial settings, serial 4 is set to 127.0.0.1:25232, 38400 baud, with the IP232 box checked.

I know it's a fringe use case, but there it is in case anyone else needs it (or if I need to refer to it later).

Wish I would have seen the original post, I would have helped out. Everything you have said is spot on, I would also look at striketerm 2014 it is an update to Novaterm and works much better with Vice. In fact file transfers work very well. I tell anyone calling Image BBS' to use Striketerm now I offer a download of a special modified Vice which fixes a lot of transfer issues of files, I can routinely upload and download at 38.4k with no issues now. The files are available on my website www.wrgnbr.com under the Image support section. I haven't updated the Windows versions in a couple of months with the latest nightlies, but these files do work and I have both 32 and 64bit Windows versions available and a script to install vice in Linux with the modified ACIA files with a Lt Kernal HD attached of Image BBS 3.0. You can just use the Vice files if needed. Let me know if you need any other help..

|11 Bucko |14- |06Wrong Number Family Of BBS' |07- |03www.wrgnbr.com

... What does it mean to pre-board? Do you get on before you get on?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (21:4/131)
  • From Reverend Shaft@21:4/111 to Bucko on Mon Oct 7 03:55:33 2024
    On 06 Oct 2024, Bucko said the following...

On 25 Sep 2024, Reverend Shaft said the following...

Talking to myself here, but I did figure it out. I was on the right track with the TCPSER utility, but didn't quite have the right setup.

Wish I would have seen the original post, I would have helped out. Everything you have said is spot on, I would also look at striketerm
    2014 it is an update to Novaterm and works much better with Vice.

Hey, thanks for the suggestion there. I'm really looking forward to checking that one out.

I LOVE Novaterm, but there were a couple little bothersome things about the way the interface worked. Have to see if those have been updated.

Ultimately, it's all about the doubled up character fonts to make 80 columns workable on a 40 column display. That look on a 19" TV was my staple for years... calling up an 80 column system brings back so many fantastic memories now!

I've long been a fan of emulation (been pretty heavy into the gaming console emulators since the early 2000s), but for some reason, never really spent much time on the 8-bit computer realm of it until just very recently.

I can say it's almost gotten me to the point of wanting to 3D print a set of key caps to replace a cheap keyboard with the Commodore layout. Making that mental shift or using a cheat sheet just isn't working for me.

Thanks for the extra info. I'm on my way to bed mow, but I'll have to come take a look-see when I make my rounds tomorrow!

RS

... Sent from my mobile device using a pocket bluetooth keyboard.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: The Arena BBS ú netasylum.com:2323 (21:4/111)
  • From Bucko@21:4/131 to Reverend Shaft on Mon Oct 7 19:16:20 2024
    On 07 Oct 2024, Reverend Shaft said the following...

Hey, thanks for the suggestion there. I'm really looking forward to checking that one out.

No problem at all.. :)

I LOVE Novaterm, but there were a couple little bothersome things about the way the interface worked. Have to see if those have been updated.

I don't use it because I use Syncterm and Netrunner, but when I want to upload and download on a Commodore BBS with Punter Protocol, I use Striketerm. It is perfect for transfers.

Ultimately, it's all about the doubled up character fonts to make 80 columns workable on a 40 column display. That look on a 19" TV was my staple for years... calling up an 80 column system brings back so many fantastic memories now!

The 80 column screen is horrible in my opinion mainly because you are emulating an 80 column screen on a 40 column "monitor", back in the day I tried Novaterm's 80 column display and I hated it, because I had a 128 I just used Desterm, There is a suggestion for you, if you want a real 80 column display since you are using Vice, just boot into the 128 emulation in 80 column and boot up Desterm. If you go that route, go with the 2.x version it supports Commodore CG, I think they did away with it in the 3.x versions (why I have no idea!)

I've long been a fan of emulation (been pretty heavy into the gaming console emulators since the early 2000s), but for some reason, never really spent much time on the 8-bit computer realm of it until just very recently.

I can say it's almost gotten me to the point of wanting to 3D print a
    set of key caps to replace a cheap keyboard with the Commodore layout. Making that mental shift or using a cheat sheet just isn't working for
    me.

When I got back into BBS'n back in 18, I put up a PC board, then decided I wanted to run a board on every platform I ever used. So over the next 4 months, I put up an Amiga board (C-Net) in Emulation, and to prove just about everyone in the Image BBS world wrong, I put up a couple of Image boards version 1.2 and the newer version 2.0. I did that because everywhere I looked there were messages saying it couldn't be done. So one saturday night I put together a Image 2.0 on Vice and had it running in less then an hour and working properly. Now I run my original 1993 version of Image 1.2 and the latest version which I had a hand in writing 3.0..

Thanks for the extra info. I'm on my way to bed mow, but I'll have to
    come take a look-see when I make my rounds tomorrow!

RS

No problem at all. Anytime you need help just post and hopefully I will see it and can try to help..

|11 Bucko |14- |06Wrong Number Family Of BBS' |07- |03www.wrgnbr.com

... One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (21:4/131)