• Re: BMW charging monthly for heated seats

From paulie420@21:2/150 to Warpslide on Thu Jul 14 14:34:56 2022
    I wonder how long it will be before we see some auto manufacturer take someone to court because that customer figured out how to enable these features on their own without paying them.

Hopefully never - it seems the right to repair is coming along in our country, altho it could move a lot quicker IMO... I wonder where hacking, or 'breaking' a factory paywall would land in that whole scheme of things.

I know that if I ever HAVE to purchase some piece of equipment that has software paywalls, I'll certainly be trying to hack the functionality.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/04/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: 2o for beeRS>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From paulie420@21:2/150 to Nightfox on Thu Jul 14 14:36:46 2022
    This is one of the most disgusting facts, or things that I'm worried about, concerning smart-vehicles.

I agree. In one sense, I feel like they're taking the easy route in requiring customers to repeatedly pay for something over and over again, rather than always being able to use it because they bought it up-front. If they can make money from these feature subscriptions, maybe they
    won't have to innovate as much when making new cars.

We're all saying basically the same thing, but what I think is disgusting about it is that the feature is already BUILT IN. Its not even like they're providing you some software front-end or cloud when you make the monthly payment... they're simply flipping a software switch - the hardware is already INSTALLED. I mean... where does it end? They could put a dollar sign on every single function of the vehicle.

Ugh.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/04/26 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: 2o for beeRS>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (21:2/150)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to paulie420 on Thu Jul 14 16:30:48 2022
    Re: Re: BMW charging monthly for heated seats
    By: paulie420 to Nightfox on Thu Jul 14 2022 02:36 pm

I agree. In one sense, I feel like they're taking the easy route in
    requiring customers to repeatedly pay for something over and over
    again, rather than always being able to use it because they bought

We're all saying basically the same thing, but what I think is disgusting about it is that the feature is already BUILT IN. Its not even like

Yep. They already did the work of designing the feature and installing it in the product. It seems that a one-time purchase/payment is no longer good enough for them.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to paulie420 on Thu Jul 14 16:34:03 2022
    By: paulie420 to Warpslide on Thu Jul 14 2022 02:34 pm

I wonder how long it will be before we see some auto manufacturer
    take someone to court because that customer figured out how to
    enable these features on their own without paying them.

Hopefully never - it seems the right to repair is coming along in our country, altho it could move a lot quicker IMO... I wonder where hacking, or 'breaking' a factory paywall would land in that whole scheme of things.

What would be funny is considering such functionality "broken" because you've purchased it but it won't work (unless you give them money). The "fix" would be to find a hack or workaround to make it work without having to give them more money.

I almost feel like this kind of thing is extortion. You bought it, but this feature won't work unless you continually give them more money..

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Arelor@21:2/138 to Nightfox on Thu Jul 14 18:48:41 2022
    Re: BMW charging monthly for heated seats
    By: Nightfox to Warpslide on Wed Jul 13 2022 09:30 am

BMW has been putting features behind a subscription paywall since 2020, with heated seats being the newest addition in countries like Germany, Zealand, the U.K., South Africa and now South Korea.

I heard about that. It seems a bit ridiculous to me to buy something that h ou pay for the car when you buy it, rather than having a subscription to use

It is specially ridiculous because you can just purchase a separate heatpad instead of paying the subscription.

But then nobody should buy a BMV as long as they keep being dicks by placing resources the car already possesses behind a paywall.

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (21:2/138)
  • From Warpslide@21:3/110.2 to paulie420 on Thu Jul 14 20:59:44 2022
    *** Quoting paulie420 from a message to Nightfox ***

I mean... where does it end? They could put a dollar sign on every
    single function of the vehicle.

Hmm, they could charge you a nickel every time your turn signal lights up.

Stopped at a red light at your signal light blinked 28 times? That'll be $1.40 please!

Jay

... I'll tell you one fact - it may be rather boring but it's interesting

--- Telegard v3.09.g2-sp4/mL
    * Origin: Northern Realms/TG ì tg.nrbbs.net ì Binbrook, ON (21:3/110.2)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Arelor on Thu Jul 14 18:51:17 2022
    Re: BMW charging monthly for heated seats
    By: Arelor to Nightfox on Thu Jul 14 2022 06:48 pm

I heard about that. It seems a bit ridiculous to me to buy something
    that h ou pay for the car when you buy it, rather than having a
    subscription to use

It is specially ridiculous because you can just purchase a separate heatpad instead of paying the subscription.

But then nobody should buy a BMW as long as they keep being dicks by placing resources the car already possesses behind a paywall.

BMW isn't the only car company doing that - I heard Tesla is doing it too.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Warpslide on Thu Jul 14 18:54:55 2022
    By: Warpslide to paulie420 on Thu Jul 14 2022 08:59 pm

I mean... where does it end? They could put a dollar sign on every
    single function of the vehicle.

Hmm, they could charge you a nickel every time your turn signal lights up.

No, they should pay people for using the turn signal. Even with turn signals being free to use, there are already too many people who don't use them.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From boraxman@21:1/101 to Nightfox on Fri Jul 15 22:45:01 2022
    Hmm, they could charge you a nickel every time your turn signal light

No, they should pay people for using the turn signal. Even with turn signals being free to use, there are already too many people who don't
    use them.

BMW drivers being a prime culprit.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to boraxman on Fri Jul 15 09:00:42 2022
    By: boraxman to Nightfox on Fri Jul 15 2022 10:45 pm

No, they should pay people for using the turn signal. Even with
    turn signals being free to use, there are already too many people
    who don't use them.

BMW drivers being a prime culprit.

I hear people say that, but in my observations, it's not jut BMW drivers. It seems drivers of any luxury (or other high-end) vehicle, and trucks, are far less likely to use their turn signals than other drivers. I'm not sure what it is about those particular types of vehicles, but drivers not using their turn signals is one of my pet peeves. I feel like it's like they feel entitled and think they don't need to alert other people about what they're going to do.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
  • From boraxman@21:1/101 to Nightfox on Sat Jul 16 12:14:57 2022
    I hear people say that, but in my observations, it's not jut BMW
    drivers. It seems drivers of any luxury (or other high-end) vehicle, and trucks, are far less likely to use their turn signals than other
    drivers. I'm not sure what it is about those particular types of vehicles, but drivers not using their turn signals is one of my pet peeves. I feel like it's like they feel entitled and think they don't need to alert other people about what they're going to do.

Probably because they are up themselves. People who drive luxury cars are seeking a "status symbol" but without having any actual status. All owning that car really shows is that you took on a lot of debt.

It neither shows taste (because they are the generic "rich peoples" car and anyone with taste would go for something more distinct), or class, because any middle manager that wants to be seen as having made it can get it with a loan.

Back a little while ago the 4WD ( as as they are called in the US, SUV's) were the car to get, that were annoying on the road. "Wanker wagons" as I liked to call them, or Toorak Tractors (Toorak is a posh inner city suburb)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (21:1/101)