• Re: Failure of blu-ray format?

From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Daniele Somma on Mon Feb 6 10:49:44 2023
    Re: Re: Failure of blu-ray format?
    By: Daniele Somma to Nightfox on Sun Feb 05 2023 06:32 pm

I'm thinking, is this really serious? I find it hard to believe.

I doubt that's hard to believe, honestly.

For me, these are the main 2 reasons this format failed:

1) Streaming media surclassed physical media, even for videogames.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "surclassed", but if you mean it's meant to be superior, I don't think streaming is superior to physical media. For videos, they often compress them to enable a good streaming experience, but that means the video quality is often quite a bit less than what you'd get on physical media.

2) Blu-rays aren't compatible with DVD players.

Of course not.. But, blu-ray came out in 2006 (17 years ago) - By now, I'd have expected that a lot of people would have probably replaced their DVD player with a blu-ray player as prices have gone down. I don't see how this would be such a problem impeding the sale of blu-ray discs. Cassette tapes replaced 8-track tapes in a similar fashion.

Somehow reminds me the flop of the Video CD format. No one wanted to buy a VCD player knowing that they could still watch movies with VHS.

I thought the video CD failed to catch on due to other reasons. I had never even heard of video CD, and by the time I did, I already had a DVD player. Maybe it's due to where I live, and perhaps video CD just never caught on at all in the US. People here mostly went straight from VHS to DVD (there was also Videodisc in between, but those were too expensive for most people).

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)