• The Presidio

From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to All on Sat Feb 25 21:19:01 2023

I just watched The Presidio (Free, on YouTube).

Great chase scene down San Francisco's Chinatown, and a so-so plot. Starring Mark Harmon, Sean Connery, Meg Ryan.

It was worth it for me to see a city that I experienced in the late '80s and early '90s - especially the scenes at the Presidio, back then, an active army base built in 1776. Now it's a park and public trust, but back then it was a city within a city.

Bonus points for a gratuitious Sam Wo shot. Sam Wo is a chinese restaurant that was open until 2:00am most nights. Dark, a little dirty, you'd walk through the kitchen to go up to one of two floors up a narrow spiral staircase. Food came up on a dumb waiter. No liquor license, but bottles in bags is OK. Once they knew you the total never added up to anything near what you ordered. If they didn't like you, it was probably double.

Drunken fratboys, college students in the middle of al-nighters, night people, workers getting off the night shift, and people trying to blend in seemed to be the clientele most nights. And early mornings.

The restaurant moved a couple of years ago to a more legitimate location, and the old restaurant is now a Shiseido makeup store, all chrome, white tile and fluorescent lights.

The city I knew, like the restaurant, isn't there any more - and that's OK. The one that replaced it has its own personality. It's nice to go back and visit my city, though.
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Win32
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From Mike Dippel@21:4/176 to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Feb 26 08:02:52 2023
    On 2/25/2023 9:27 PM, poindexter FORTRAN wrote to All:

I just watched The Presidio (Free, on YouTube).

Great chase scene down San Francisco's Chinatown, and a so-so plot. Starring Mark Harmon, Sean Connery, Meg Ryan.

It was worth it for me to see a city that I experienced in the late '80s and early '90s - especially the scenes at the Presidio, back then, an active army
    base built in 1776. Now it's a park and public trust, but back then it was a city within a city.

My wife and I visited San Francisco years ago and had a great time. I was there for a
    Bulletin Board convention, of all things. Our motel was next to the Presidio and there
    was a great restaurant next to the motel.

We walked everywhere and were amazed at how many ethnic areas there were, how many forms of transportation were available and loved the sights.

We walked from the Presidio to the end of Lombard street and back again. That night,
    'Nash Bridges' aired for the first time. While watching it, our response was, "We were
    there. We saw that!" It was really a great ending to a great day.

Mike Dippel

--- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v7.0
    * Origin: The Hobby Line! BBS - hobbylinebbs.com (21:4/176)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@21:4/122 to Mike Dippel on Sun Feb 26 08:01:00 2023
    Mike Dippel wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

We walked from the Presidio to the end of Lombard street and back
    again. That night, 'Nash Bridges' aired for the first time. While watching it, our response was, "We were there. We saw that!" It was really a great ending to a great day.

What a great story! Living in San Francisco back in the '80s and '90s,
    there were a ton of movies and TV shows filmed there. The city made an
    effort to entice production companies to film there and made it very
    easy to film.

Then, we got a new mayor, Willie Brown. He brought in a lot of friends
    into the city when he was elected, and replaced the person who was
    responsible for studio relations with an unqualified friend, the
    relationship between the studios and the city soured and now most west
    coast settings are filmed in Vancouver.

There's a great video on YouTube called "Vancouver never plays itself" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojm74VGsZBU that talks about how
    Vancouver plays many towns (including The Bronx, where you normally
    wouldn't see snow-covered mountains in the background...)

... What context would look right?
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From Luigi Patacca@21:4/183 to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Mar 27 13:27:29 2023
    That was a classic movie by far... It is on Amazon Prime this month.

-GiGi

... If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: REtrogaming ACTivities (REACT) BBS (21:4/183)