• Unsolved Mysteries

From Nightfox@21:1/137 to All on Wed May 8 15:30:35 2024
    I used to like to watch the TV show "Unsolved Mysteries", which started in the late 80s in the US. I especially liked the episodes that had the weird supernatural stuff like UFOs and hauntings and such. Recently I've started to watch the old episodes of this show again (they're available for free as part of Plex's free streaming content, with ads), and I still enjoy this show. Although I've never really been into crime shows (either true crime or fictional), I always liked Unsolved Mysteries, as it leaves you with a sense of wondering what's going on. Also, its theme music is classic, as a creepy theme song, and Robert Stack's voice and delivery was always good.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From AKAcastor@21:1/162 to Nightfox on Wed May 8 15:53:42 2024
    I used to like to watch the TV show "Unsolved Mysteries", which started in the late 80s in the US. I especially liked the episodes
    that had the weird supernatural stuff like UFOs and
    hauntings and such. Recently I've started to watch the
    old episodes of this show again (they're available for
    free as part of Plex's free streaming content, with
    ads), and I still enjoy this show.

I remember Unsolved Mysteries and Rescue 911 airing back to back on the local television network, somehow these shows are associated in my memory (but in no other way).

The new Unsolved Mysteries episodes on Netflix I couldn't get into, just didn't have the same personality to the show. Without Robert Stack it doesn't work.

I enjoyed Unsolved Mysteries in the late 80s, but also I remember being scared of it sometimes, as a kid. It was too damn real! :)

Chris/akacastor

--- Maximus 3.01
    * Origin: Another Millennium - Canada - another.tel (21:1/162)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to AKAcastor on Wed May 8 16:07:00 2024
    Re: Unsolved Mysteries
    By: AKAcastor to Nightfox on Wed May 08 2024 03:53 pm

I enjoyed Unsolved Mysteries in the late 80s, but also I remember being scared of it sometimes, as a kid. It was too damn real! :)

Yeah, the fact that it talks about bad people being on the loose and the cases being unsolved, it can be scary. Back then, when I was a kid, I tended to pay more attention to the paranormal ones though, and less attention to the other stuff. I thought it was pretty interesting that those unexplained stories with alleged ghosts & UFOs & stuff were in a regular TV show.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From Warpslide@21:3/110 to AKAcastor on Wed May 8 19:29:16 2024
    On 08 May 2024, AKAcastor said the following...

I remember Unsolved Mysteries and Rescue 911 airing back to back on the local television network, somehow these shows are associated in my
    memory (but in no other way).

I forgot about Rescue 911. One of the kids in my elementary school ended up on that show when he & his dad fell through the ice on their snowmobile, they both got out ok.

I always liked the spooky episodes of Unsolved Mysteries and then X-Files a little later. I'm actually going through X-Files again now as time permits. I've been watching it on Disney+, it looks pretty good in HD. I'm getting a kick seeing all of the tech they were using in 90s.

Jay

... That's why we like you Mulder, your ideas are weirder than ours.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/04/30 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Northern Realms (21:3/110)
  • From TheNerd@21:1/172 to Nightfox on Wed May 8 21:37:08 2024
    I used to like to watch the TV show "Unsolved Mysteries", which started
    in the late 80s in the US. I especially liked the episodes that had the weird supernatural stuff like UFOs and hauntings and such. Recently

My partner recently discovered this wonderful fact. I grew up as a teen listening to my mother watching it and the girl is obsessed with it because she was just a touch too young for it when she was able to watch it.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: The Bottomless Abyss BBS * bbs.bottomlessabyss.net (21:1/172)
  • From niter3@21:1/199 to Nightfox on Thu May 9 06:36:08 2024
    I used to like to watch the TV show "Unsolved Mysteries", which started
    in the late 80s in the US. I especially liked the episodes that had the weird supernatural stuff like UFOs and hauntings and such. Recently
    I've started to watch the old episodes of this show again (they're available for free as part of Plex's free streaming content, with ads), and I still enjoy this show. Although I've never really been into crime shows (either true crime or fictional), I always liked Unsolved
    Mysteries, as it leaves you with a sense of wondering what's going on. Also, its theme music is classic, as a creepy theme song, and Robert Stack's voice and delivery was always good.

Agree, very good show.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/04/30 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Clutch BBS * telnet://clutchbbs.com (21:1/199)
  • From n2qfd@21:1/154 to Nightfox on Thu May 9 06:59:17 2024
    Hey Nightfox,

Do you remember Ripley's Believe it or Not? With Jack Palance? Is seems
    like that was the same era. I wonder if they're out there someplace to see again.
    I think Jonathan Franks did something like the unsolved but the more paranormal too right?

N2QFD{Queen City BBS}:// "Does this need to be said? Does this need to be said by me? Does this need to be said by me right now?" - Craig Ferguson

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: Queen City BBS (21:1/154)
  • From Blue White@21:4/134 to Nightfox on Thu May 9 08:32:09 2024
    I used to like to watch the TV show "Unsolved Mysteries", which
    started in the late 80s in the US. I especially liked the episodes
    that had the weird supernatural stuff like UFOs and hauntings and
    such. Recently I've started to watch the old episodes of this show

If you really liked those episodes, you might like some of the shows that
    are on the History Channel (or one of those other channels that used to
    be about learning but is now all reality shows). A girl I was interested
    in got me watching those for a while. IIRC, they are on Sunday
    afternoons and are not the "ghost hunter" shows. These are all about
    people telling their stories regarding encounters with supernatural
    forces (spirits, possible UFOs, etc.) with reinactments thrown in.

Most of them, in my mind, had explanations that were being overlooked,
    but a few set in the mountainous forest areas of the eastern part of my
    state were interesting.

--- Talisman v0.53-dev (Linux/armv7l)
    * Origin: possumso.fsxnet.nz * telnet:24/ssh:2122/ftelnet:80 (21:4/134)
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to n2qfd on Thu May 9 09:35:30 2024
    Re: Re: Unsolved Mysteries
    By: n2qfd to Nightfox on Thu May 09 2024 06:59 am

Do you remember Ripley's Believe it or Not? With Jack Palance? Is seems like that was the same era. I wonder if they're out there someplace to see again.

I think I had seen some of those shows. I feel like I'm more familiar with the Ripley's brick-and-mortar sites you can stop at and tour.

I think Jonathan Franks did something like the unsolved but the more paranormal too right?

Yeah, he hosted seasons 2-4 of a show called "Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction", where they'd present a few strange stories, some which were true and some false, and at the end they'd tell you which were true and which were false. I actually just watched all of the episodes hosted by Jonathan Frakes a year or two ago, as I only became aware of that show recently. I thought it was a good show.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to Blue White on Thu May 9 09:39:32 2024
    Re: Unsolved Mysteries
    By: Blue White to Nightfox on Thu May 09 2024 08:32 am

had the weird supernatural stuff like UFOs and hauntings and such.
    Recently I've started to watch the old episodes of this show

If you really liked those episodes, you might like some of the shows that are on the History Channel (or one of those other channels that used to be about learning but is now all reality shows). A girl I was interested in got me watching those for a while. IIRC, they are on Sunday afternoons and are not the "ghost hunter" shows. These are all about people telling their stories regarding encounters with supernatural forces (spirits, possible UFOs, etc.) with reinactments thrown in.

There are a couple shows that I noticed are broadcast on a couple channels in my area, Paranormal Survivor and Hotel Paranormal, and I've set my media server to DVR them. I've watched a few, and I think they're interesting.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From AKAcastor@21:1/162 to N2qfd on Thu May 9 11:32:30 2024
    Do you remember Ripley's Believe it or Not? With Jack Palance? Is seems like that was the same era. I wonder if they're out
    there someplace to see again.
    I think Jonathan Franks did something like the unsolved
    but the more paranormal too right?

Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction - I have been watching this series on and off over the past few weeks! I remember it being "good filler cable TV" in the late 90s/early 2000s. I wouldn't have been seeking it out, but when flipping through channels on a lazy afternoon it would be a good show to land on. I still enjoy the show as something "not boring, but I don't need to pay much attention".

The little stories/questions that Frakes tells between segments are hilarious, too - especially when you watch a bunch back to back. And if you play it back at half speed, you get a hilariously drunk Jonathan Frakes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1wYVdL8FsQ

Chris/akacastor

--- Maximus 3.01
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to AKAcastor on Thu May 9 12:52:46 2024
    By: AKAcastor to N2qfd on Thu May 09 2024 11:32 am

The little stories/questions that Frakes tells between segments are hilarious, too - especially when you watch a bunch back to back. And if you play it back at half speed, you get a hilariously drunk Jonathan Frakes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1wYVdL8FsQ

haha.. That's pretty good.
    I also like the crossover memes people have made with Jonathan Frakes on Beyond Belief and Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From n2qfd@21:1/154 to AKAcastor on Fri May 10 07:10:13 2024
    The little stories/questions that Frakes tells between segments are hilarious, too - especially when you watch a bunch back to back. And if you play it back at half speed, you get a hilariously drunk Jonathan Frakes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1wYVdL8FsQ

This is the best.

It's up there with Randy Savage and Hulk Hogan edited to just be the inhale sounds... I'm so glad we have You Tube it keeps the weird alive.

N2QFD{Queen City BBS}:// "Does this need to be said? Does this need to be said by me? Does this need to be said by me right now?" - Craig Ferguson

• From AKAcastor@21:1/162 to N2qfd on Fri May 10 10:36:40 2024
    It's up there with Randy Savage and Hulk Hogan edited
    to just be the inhale sounds... I'm so glad we have You
    Tube it keeps the weird alive.

Haha yeah those breathing videos are hilarious too!

This one may fit better in the music echo (then again there's no music, so maybe not!) - another silly video:

Musicless Musicvideo - David Bowie & Mick Jagger - Dancing In The Street:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_li_d_YviZ4

Chris/akacastor

--- Maximus 3.01
  • From Nightfox@21:1/137 to AKAcastor on Fri May 10 12:41:47 2024
    By: AKAcastor to N2qfd on Fri May 10 2024 10:36 am

This one may fit better in the music echo (then again there's no music, so maybe not!) - another silly video:

Musicless Musicvideo - David Bowie & Mick Jagger - Dancing In The Street:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_li_d_YviZ4

I'd seen that one before - It was funny to see that.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.20-Linux
  • From n2qfd@21:1/154 to AKAcastor on Fri May 10 19:28:39 2024
    Haha yeah those breathing videos are hilarious too!

Oh yes, I've seen that one too,

I love You Tube... How about Cockroach Calisthenics. https://youtu.be/64ixCkz4kJ0?si=M4q3OZfAqERnbfZ-

Although when it comes to something beautiful I still watch Wintergarten's Marble Machine https://youtu.be/IvUU8joBb1Q?si=QcHcz0CqlHyrVhV7

And finally because I'm a giant child...Unused song from The Labyrinth.
    https://youtu.be/IvUU8joBb1Q?si=QcHcz0CqlHyrVhV7

• From Ogg@21:4/106.21 to n2qfd on Fri May 10 22:52:00 2024
    Hello n2qfd!

Although when it comes to something beautiful I still watch Wintergarten's Marble Machine https://youtu.be/IvUU8joBb1Q?si=QcHcz0CqlHyr VhV7

The last one is the same as the one above.

--- OpenXP 5.0.58
    * Origin: Ogg's WestCoast Point (21:4/106.21)
  • From n2qfd@21:1/154 to Ogg on Sat May 11 08:38:46 2024
    Thanks Ogg,

And finally because I'm a giant child...Unused song from The Labyrint
    The last one is the same as the one above.

This should be the right link for lowbrow humor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eXkkrNhQnM

• From AKAcastor@21:1/162 to N2qfd on Sat May 18 19:54:14 2024
    It took me a few days to reply, I was waiting until I had to a chance to enjoy the videos and wow I'm glad I did. Great stuff!

I love You Tube... How about Cockroach Calisthenics. https://youtu.be/64ixCkz4kJ0?si=M4q3OZfAqERnbfZ-

Fantastic. I hadn't seen this before, I wouldn't be able to explain why but I love it!

Although when it comes to something beautiful I still
    watch Wintergarten's Marble Machine https://youtu.be/IvUU8joBb1Q?si=QcHcz0CqlHyrVhV7

Absolutely amazing! What a beautiful machine and wonderful music instrument! I don't know how I hadn't seen this before, after 8 years - thanks for sharing it now.

That's the link to Wintergatan - Marble Machine, so I watched it again! :)

Chris/akacastor

--- Maximus 3.01